±

I-10 Bridge across the Mobile River

31 posts in this topic

Posted

I think locating the bridge further south is a fantastic idea. No one says the bridge has to POP out over the river. It doesn't have to instantaniously turn into the main span. Build shorter causeway segments that lead up to the main span. Sorta like the new Sunshine Skyway in Tampa.

Posted

I'm sorry... I don't understand? could you explain this more. I don't know what that bridge looks like in tampa.

Posted

I'm sorry... I don't understand? could you explain this more. I don't know what that bridge looks like in tampa.

It has a regular boring, short bridge that leads up to the main span. The bridge to Dauphin Island is a great example. It's all short until you get to the center and it's rather tall. Except in this case, the tall part would be a cable stayed design.

Posted (edited)

According to that presentation, the eastern interchange of the proposed West Mobile Bypass and I-65 will apparently be constructed in Chickasawbouge Park. :(

It also calls for the destruction of downtown buildings in order to resolve the current entry problems to the Wallace tunnel, thus increasing the impact of the downtown interchange. I wish we could dissolve that interchange and tunnel altogether.

Edited by The Dude

Posted

State docks officials joined the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce in asking the state DOT to eliminate the southernmost of the three proposed routes for a new I-10 bridge. The southernmost route would do the most economic harm and cripple operations at Atlantic Marine and Bender Shipbuilding. According to a docks official, any new bridge must have a clearance of at least 215 feet to protect commerce at the new container terminal.

Docks oppose southern proposal for I-10 crossing

Posted

ALDOT rejected the northern route (surprise, surprise) and narrowed the options to three possible routes to a new bridge. Maybe litigation can stop this from negatively impacting the maritime industry and downtown redevelopment.

North bridge bypass is out