Maritime Center at Mobile Landing

Southron

The Maritime Center at Mobile Landing will be home to the National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico, a Mobile Bay passenger ferry terminal, and a new regional visitor's center. It's planned for the waterfront, north of the Alabama Cruise Terminal.

This project was supposed to be completed in 2008, and I think it is behind schedule. Does anyone know the status of funding and ground-breaking?

Night-Shot-Maritime-RSATower.jpg

www.mobilelanding.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a short little clip in the chamber of commerce news letter and it said that the new completion date is 2009. I wonder if it will be pushed back even more. who knows?!

2009 sounds good. I'd hate to see it pushed back beyond that.

NOT MUCH ROOM THEIR IF ARE BUILT

Here's an aerial rendering that shows how it fits in.

mlaerial.jpg

wow! whereya get all this info from! it looks good. Thanks!

Got a question, Will the land just north of the convention center turn into something different? Man, the convention center is a big waste of water front. Mobile should make it the second cruise ship dock. If (a big if) we ever get another ship, going have to put it some where, right?

as the rendering above shows. The new condo will take over cooper riverside park? Another big waste of money.

• 3 weeks later...

Will the land just north of the convention center turn into something different? Man, the convention center is a big waste of water front. Mobile should make it the second cruise ship dock. If (a big if) we ever get another ship, going have to put it some where, right?

Good question. I don't have any idea if the two container cranes just north of the convention center will move or not after the Choctaw Point container terminal is built. That land might be converted to public use if the port authority would allow it.

Does anyone know if those cranes will move to the new container terminal and free up some waterfront space?

I dont think they are going anywhere. I wish they would give it to developers and the public. But I think the port doesn't want to part with it.

That's too bad, but I guess it's what one should expect. I wonder if pleasure craft will ever be allowed to dock next to the park or Maritime Center after it's built. That should help enliven the area some. A new downtown marina would be great too, but I don't know where it could fit.

• 3 weeks later...

The National Maritime Museum of the Gulf Coast will publicly launch its capital campaign on the waterfront Thursday. Fundraising has already begun, and the goal and progress so far will be announced at the event. The $30 million museum will be built with public and private funding.

Museum exhibits may include a crew's quarters, where visitors could sit on ship bunks and activate wall-mounted video monitors displaying accounts of life aboard a ship and other maritime experiences.

Mobile Press-Register: Museum to open capital campaign

Man, I'm glad to finally see this thing moving forward. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen.

Yeah I was wondering myself. I wonder what the big announcement on Thursday will be? Todays paper was packed with good stuff. This article, real estate column had several downtown/midtown moves, annexation/firehouse stuff, art market article, Mobile Convention and Visitors Beureau new website, and Wine Loft in Spring Hill. I posted all the links here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...149#post2875149

2009 sounds good. I'd hate to see it pushed back beyond that.

Here's an aerial rendering that shows how it fits in.

the best spot for 2nd cruise terminal has to be the convention center. it would definitly make more money , than what it is doing now.

hey there is your bridge over water street.

And a new convention center would be placed at the eyesore civic center(when they tear it down.

There was supposed to be a ceremony and big announcement at the museum site yesterday but the PR did not cover it. Anyone hear what went on?

I believe that event was set for today. It should be in tomorrow's paper.

Edit: The city website has a news item up about the museum announcement. The private fundraising goal is $10 million, with $6 million already committed. The paper will probably have more details tomorrow.

The National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico launched its capital campaign with the announcement of a lead gift of $1 million from the McLean family. Malcom McLean pioneered the container shipping concept in the 1950s at the Waterman Steamship Co. in Mobile. The design of the museum was inspired by a container ship.

The 90,000-square-foot interactive museum is expected to cost $30 million and open in 2009. The city of Mobile will take the lead in building the museum, with $10.5 million in federal funds already earmarked for the project. The private fundraising goal is $10 million, with $6 million already committed.

Mobile Press-Register: Maritime Museum gets $1M gift

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This thing is finally moving forward. Hoar Program Management of Birmingham was hired to manage construction of the $36 museum, which should break ground in spring 2009 and open in late 2010. About $18.5 million has been raised for the project so far, and fundraising will continue while it's under construction.

Firm hired to guide construction of Mobile's maritime museum

Great news for downtown Mobile and the waterfront!

• 6 years later...

Per the Press-Register, officials are expected to announce a fall opening date for the GulfQuest National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday. The press conference will start at 11 a.m. at 155 N. Water Street in Mobile.

At last, city officials expected to announce opening date for GulfQuest museum

---

Edit:

The $62 million GulfQuest National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico will open on September 26, 2015. This should give Mobile's tourist numbers a big boost in years ahead.

GulfQuest Maritime Museum to open in September