Economic developments in the Midlands

krazeeboi

I read the whole article. Thank you, Krazeeboi! After reading the article I went to the Brookings website and read some more info on metropolitan areas. They have a map and state profiles. South Carolina is well represented by our number of metropolitan areas in the top 100 USA metros, especially for a state our size.

• 3 weeks later...

Expansion Management Magazine has named Columbia the number 1 real estate market for relocating and expanding businesses.

http://www.expansionmanagement.com/SMO/DOC...020%20RE(1).PDF

More great news!!!! It's good to see Columbia move up... We use to be last in everything but now it seems we're making the top !10 in everything. It's a plus that SC's big 3 was in the top ten. :thumbsup:

Expansion Management Magazine has named Columbia the number 1 real estate market for relocating and expanding businesses.

http://www.expansionmanagement.com/SMO/DOC...020%20RE(1).PDF

Wow, that's pretty awesome. The State reports today that Charlotte-based Trinity Capital has targeted Columbia for office and industrial acquisitions and office, industrial, and mixed-use development for 2008 and 2009. And of course, Holder discovered Columbia a few years ago, before the city started getting all of the press it's now getting. It truly does appear as though things are getting ready to ramp up in Columbia, and that's welcome news considering that the state as a whole isn't projected to do so well next year.

The Expansion Management ranking actually lists all of SC's major metros, with GSP ranking 3rd and Charleston ranking 13th. Good press for the entire state! :thumbsup:

More offices are leaving downtown. This one is the VA office on Assembly & Laurel, which they will be moving to Garners Ferry Rd in 2009. This move actually does make some sense because the rest of the VA is already out on Garners Ferry Rd. HOWEVER their reason for moving is that the building, which is 55 years old, can't handle the latest technology.

The article said that they don't know what will happen to the current building. Now my question is, if the VA can't install new technology, does that mean other investors won't either? This is a solid mid-rise building, albeit a low-profile one.

Article

I"m generally not inclined to destroy buildings, but this one would be an acceptable loss if something better were to be put in its place. I dont think, however, that Columbia has reached the point to where it could have highrises destroyed for larger highrises. There are way too many empty lots to fill first.

Very true. There has to be a place for those companies to locate. It seems like the northeast part of town off of I-77 is the most popular, followed by I-26 south of town and usually in Lexington County.

I spoke with a commercial developer last night at a party and he told me he had 20 clients who want to move here but there is not space to meet their needs. He was very optimistic about continued high vacancy rates and demand for new space in Columbia.