Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Hong Kong at the moment and I just boarded my flight back to the USA. One of the magazines I picked up at the airport, "Time Out Hong Kong", which is basically a Hong Kong version of Charlotte magazine. Inside the magazine, in the travel section, is a lengthy article about Charlotte and how it is the "unofficial capital of North Carolina". I'll post a link when I get back. It is pretty interesting.

Wasn't sure where this should go, but the Charlotte-centric episode of Triple D aired on friday. The Pinky's segment wasn't included but they did showcase 300 East and Krazy Fish. Only thing that slightly annoyed me was that it seems like he only said Charlotte a couple of times instead referring to the area simply as just North Carolina. I did get a chuckle when he mentioned all the history we have here before mentioning that 300 East in located in a house that was built in 1900.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an observation this weekend from my family visiting from out of state.  My sister, who lives outside of Pittsburgh, said several time that she was "blown away" but the cultural diversity in Charlotte.  I guess she is used to each race sticking together, rather than mingling with each other.  I had to agree with her, but I guess I have just gotten used to it.

• Like 1

Just an observation this weekend from my family visiting from out of state.  My sister, who lives outside of Pittsburgh, said several time that she was "blown away" but the cultural diversity in Charlotte.  I guess she is used to each race sticking together, rather than mingling with each other.  I had to agree with her, but I guess I have just gotten used to it.

I actually have a friend who is from the country of Colombia and lived a large portion of time in the USA in the Miami metro area. She commented several times to me that one of the things

that struck her when she moved to Charlotte, was how integrated the neighborhoods were in this area. Not only in Charlotte but throughout the state (she also lived in Winston-Salem too).

I briefly lived in Miami years ago just outside of the Little Havana neighborhood. You wouldn't believe how nearly everyone in a Cuban business stops everything they are doing to stop and stare at the white guy walking in. Nothing overtly rude (most of the time), but I would definitely feel like I wasn't welcome quite often.

• 2 weeks later...

So NC dropped to #9 this year on this study.  Each year since the knuckle heads got into Raleigh we have dropped in this study.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101747925

Worst numbers are quality of life and education.

Ouch.

We used to always be top 3 on this list.

Now this.

Because GOP in charge.

The weirdest thing was NC's #1 rank for Access to Capital. Aint no way we have more eager investors here than the Northeast, Washington or California. A more reasonable score on that criteria would lower NC even further down the list.

Edited by kermit

The weirdest thing was NC's #1 rank for Access to Capital. Aint no way we have more eager investors here than the Northeast, Washington or California. A more reasonable score on that criteria would lower NC even further down the list.

The methodology is very interesting.  Access to capital is actually the lowest weighted metric so would not have made much difference.  I do find it interesting that the available data showed we did rank so high tho.  I'm sure the raw data is published somewhere.   http://www.cnbc.com/id/102701598

Access to Capital (50 points)

Companies go where the money is, and capital flows to some states more than others. We look at venture capital investments by state, as well as small-business lending on a relative basis.

• 2 months later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article34996425.html

CMPD usually does a great job keeping the city safe but they've got to get these shootings under control. 

I don't think this has much to do with CMPD. CMPD can only do so much as the information that they gather from the community. If all witnesses believe that snitches get stitches, then the police won't have much to work with.

The 3 who are charged are all apparently convicted teenage felons. So I'd like to know how convicted teenage felons got guns. Were they on parole/probation? Were they being supervised? That's a question for our beleaguered and woefully underfunded court system. How/from whom/where/when did convicted teenage felons get guns?

The shootings last weekend point to gang violence. If gangs are becoming more of an issue again, then yes, CMPD could do things like go undercover, seek injunctions against behavior by bad actors, etc.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

I don't think this has much to do with CMPD. CMPD can only do so much as the information that they gather from the community. If all witnesses believe that snitches get stitches, then the police won't have much to work with.

The 3 who are charged are all apparently convicted teenage felons. So I'd like to know how convicted teenage felons got guns. Were they on parole/probation? Were they being supervised? That's a question for our beleaguered and woefully underfunded court system. How/from whom/where/when did convicted teenage felons get guns?

The shootings last weekend point to gang violence. If gangs are becoming more of an issue again, then yes, CMPD could do things like go undercover, seek injunctions against behavior by bad actors, etc.

Yeah you are right about the CMPD, it's not really always on them. I think this is just the case of some dumb___ kids that need to just be sent away. No rehabilitating fools like this. I still feel safe in CLT, just not a good look in the media right now (although this isn't even making like page 10 notional news).

Edited by Jayvee

Yeah you are right about the CMPD, it's not really always on them. I think this is just the case of some dumb___ kids that need to just be sent away. No rehabilitating fools like this. I still feel safe in CLT, just not a good look in the media right now (although this isn't even making like page 10 notional news).

You're right, it isn't. A California-based colleague asked me about the pinata shootings last week. But so far, no inquiries about this. 

The link isn't working... What kind of kids?

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Thailand for my honeymoon, and shared a taxi with a couple from Israel. While they didn't have any specific opinions about Charlotte, they did say "they do that oval track racing there, right?" and sheepishly admitted they knew Emily Maynard from the Bachelorette was from here. I thought that was pretty funny. I also met a Norwegian who lived in Miami for a few years and had nothing but glowing things to say about his occasional works trips to Charlotte and NC as a whole. For someone from a country often seen as kind of a utopia lately (though an expensive one), that's pretty high praise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article38697471.html

While I am a big fan and supporter of public art (although what's Charlotte's fascination with red clay and/or red-clay colored art - don't we see enough of that during the construction of all our 'luxury' apartment complexes?), I'm afraid it's going to take more than an ASC-funded sculpture to repair East Charlotte's image.

• 3 weeks later...

I spend a couple of months a year overseas. In large cities, it seems that 90 percent of the people with whom I speak know Charlotte and probably 20 percent know someone that lives here. In rural areas like the Hebrides, Scotland, the percentage is much lower. But, most people have heard good things about the city many know at least a fact or two about Charlotte.  Charlotte is surprisingly well known in Australia. It seems that many Aussies are NASCAR fans. We are not an insignificant little place any more. We are up there on equal status with the big boys. When riding a taxi to Heathrow, my driver told me his sister lived in Charlotte near Tega Cay.

I spend a couple of months a year overseas. In large cities, it seems that 90 percent of the people with whom I speak know Charlotte and probably 20 percent know someone that lives here. In rural areas like the Hebrides, Scotland, the percentage is much lower. But, most people have heard good things about the city many know at least a fact or two about Charlotte.  Charlotte is surprisingly well known in Australia. It seems that many Aussies are NASCAR fans. We are not an insignificant little place any more. We are up there on equal status with the big boys. When riding a taxi to Heathrow, my driver told me his sister lived in Charlotte near Tega Cay.

Really? That's actually amazing. When I do the announcements onboard the aircraft I'm working on, some flight attendants get annoyed with me if I don't include North Carolina becuase "no one knows where Charlotte is". But know there's even less reasons for me to say "Welcome aboard American Airlines flight 731 to Charlotte, North Carolina." 

• Like 1

Really? That's actually amazing. When I do the announcements onboard the aircraft I'm working on, some flight attendants get annoyed with me if I don't include North Carolina becuase "no one knows where Charlotte is". But know there's even less reasons for me to say "Welcome aboard American Airlines flight 731 to Charlotte, North Carolina." 

Some flight attendants are based in Miami and hate, hate, HATE Charlotte. They lurk about on airliners.net. You know this is true!