Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

I spend a couple of months a year overseas. In large cities, it seems that 90 percent of the people with whom I speak know Charlotte and probably 20 percent know someone that lives here. In rural areas like the Hebrides, Scotland, the percentage is much lower. But, most people have heard good things about the city many know at least a fact or two about Charlotte.  Charlotte is surprisingly well known in Australia. It seems that many Aussies are NASCAR fans. We are not an insignificant little place any more. We are up there on equal status with the big boys. When riding a taxi to Heathrow, my driver told me his sister lived in Charlotte near Tega Cay.

I met some aussies at Oktoberfest in Munich last year. They knew Charlotte. A lot of Aussies are NFL fans, so they know the city because of the Panthers. Didn't know they were really into NASCAR down there too, but not terribly surprised.

• Like 1

Just an observation this weekend from my family visiting from out of state.  My sister, who lives outside of Pittsburgh, said several time that she was "blown away" but the cultural diversity in Charlotte.  I guess she is used to each race sticking together, rather than mingling with each other.  I had to agree with her, but I guess I have just gotten used to it.

There is a popular Australian driver. I don't know his name. I have a few friends that are coming over in the next year and are excited about the races.

I met some aussies at Oktoberfest in Munich last year. They knew Charlotte. A lot of Aussies are NFL fans, so they know the city because of the Panthers. Didn't know they were really into NASCAR down there too, but not terribly surprised.

Edited by caterpillar2

So NC dropped to #9 this year on this study.  Each year since the knuckle heads got into Raleigh we have dropped in this study.

I thought that it looked like a pretty stupid rating system based on my experiences. Then I saw it was CNBC and then it became clear why it seemed lame.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101747925

There is a popular Australian driver. I don't know his name. I have a few friends that are coming over in the next year and are excited about the races.

Edited by caterpillar2

Really? That's actually amazing. When I do the announcements onboard the aircraft I'm working on, some flight attendants get annoyed with me if I don't include North Carolina becuase "no one knows where Charlotte is". But know there's even less reasons for me to say "Welcome aboard American Airlines flight 731 to Charlotte, North Carolina." 

So when you are making your announcements on the aircraft for Charlotte, exactly which Charlotte does everyone think they are going to?  Do people just jump on your plane? Sorry dude, sounds like there's some pretty lame attendants on your flights.

• 1 month later...

I know stories like what I'm getting ready to write probably don't mean as much as they used to, but I still liked the way it looked and sounded. This morning on the CBS Morning Show they were covering the story about the flight attendant who became violent on the flight from Charlotte to Munich and then again on the return trip. The reporter did the story from Washington, but be said Charlotte several times during the segment. What I really liked was when they showed a map to demonstrate the two cities involved in the story. A completely blank map of the US with NC's outline highlighted and the only label was CHARLOTTE. Then an arrow and line connected to a map of Europe where we see Germany outlined and the only label was MUNICH. It made Charlotte feel....big somehow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jednc said:

I know stories like what I'm getting ready to write probably don't mean as much as they used to, but I still liked the way it looked and sounded. This morning on the CBS Morning Show they were covering the story about the flight attendant who became violent on the flight from Charlotte to Munich and then again on the return trip. The reporter did the story from Washington, but be said Charlotte several times during the segment. What I really liked was when they showed a map to demonstrate the two cities involved in the story. A completely blank map of the US with NC's outline highlighted and the only label was CHARLOTTE. Then an arrow and line connected to a map of Europe where we see Germany outlined and the only label was MUNICH. It made Charlotte feel....big somehow.

Well, if they included Munich, then they need to improve their reporting skills because it was Frankfurt! :P 

I suppose this is worldwide (Paradox is not a US company), which makes this all the more awesome, don't know if it was the last update or the one before that changed the region name, but I've been playing this game for many years and until now have had to rename this region myself:

eu4_1.png

I was in a bar in midtown manhattan last night having dinner with my wife, and I must say, because of the Panthers Success and Stephen Curry's ballin out, Charlotte and Charlotte's skyline is getting a lot of love from the Camera's. On one tv screen there was an interview of Luke Walton in Valhalla, which included a shot of the journalist talking on what I would guess was a balcony of The Element. On another screen was a reporter on the Panthers Practice Field with the Skyline in the background, and on a third screen was another  shot of the Charlotte Skyline from another angle, not sure the context of the segment. I've never experiences this in my life, kind of crazy.

EDIT: To add on to Jednc's sentiment. No North Carolina was attached, despite the team being called CAROLINA.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, nowensone said:

I suppose this is worldwide (Paradox is not a US company), which makes this all the more awesome, don't know if it was the last update or the one before that changed the region name, but I've been playing this game for many years and until now have had to rename this region myself:

What be dat game, homie? 

17 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Me too!! Is every other city just a dump, or... what?

Charlotte is very clean compared to cities its size and larger, in my experience.

I'm on my way home from San Francisco, a city I love and yet I recoil at its filth.

I took an old friend to dinner for his birthday. He uses BART and MUNI  daily to go to work, through conscious choice. But he says the filth and stink in the stations, particularly the Embarcadero station early in the morning (he changes from MUNI to BART there) is enough to make him gag. He'd rather not start driving again  but just going to work through the filth every day is starting to wear on him. Not only is the urine stench and poop stink revolting, but heroin addicts  are lying on the steps head higher-so that if they throw up after injecting, they don't meet the same demise as Janis Joplin.

I lived in San Francisco for nearly a decade. But the filth and stink were one of the reasons I decided to leave.  Fortunately, I could take my San Francisco job to Charlotte.

So, I love to hear from visitors that Charlotte is clean. I love that Charlotte is clean. There's nothing authentic and hip about dirt. It's just dirt.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, abttown said:

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2015/12/02/hottest-housing-markets-2016/10.html

CNN Money has posted the 10 best housing markets in the country for 2016.  Of course the "NC" is attached, but they actually used an updated and very nice skyline view of the city.  (We're #8)

Bless their hearts. We need more skyscrapers to fill in the gaps, but the "NC" makes me shudder- I'm sure that in a few years we won't need "NC" after Charlotte. 

• 1 month later...

It's well-documented that Charlotte's explosive growth in the last quarter of the 20th century and early 21st century shook up the nation's urban hierarchy, with responses frequently ranging from envy to derision emanating from places as far flung as Raleigh, Chicago and San Francisco.  But, imho, Super Bowl 50 may just be a transformative moment for Charlotte.  If the Panthers beat the Broncos this coming Sunday in San Francisco, it'll bring pride, joy and distinction not only to Charlotte but also to the entire southeast region.  There is a chance (arguably small) that the old aristocratic dowagers of the region (i.e., Richmond, Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans) just might embrace upstart Charlotte and welcome her into their exclusive clubhouse because the QC made them proud by association.  Let's hope so.     

• Like 3