Killian's Crossing

Temeteron

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG another one? I am so over strip malls disguised as "towns" in the middle of nowhere. Can't we just redevelop downtown areas and get some density? This sprawl and excessive building in Northeast Cola is getting OUT OF HAND <_<

OMG another one? I am so over strip malls disguised as "towns" in the middle of nowhere. Can't we just redevelop downtown areas and get some density? This sprawl and excessive building in Northeast Cola is getting OUT OF HAND <_<

IN the middle of nowhere? If you hadnt' noticed, most of the newcomers to Columbia are choosing NorthEast Columbia over these places:

Irmo- Think the whole state of SC revolves around them

West Columbia/Cayce- Dont see what there is to brag about, except for being close to downtown

Forest Acres- A place where their mall is completely dead

Lower Richland- Doesnt even have a major retail mall and is mostly farmland

Besides....NE is the closest suburb to Charlotte! ;)

Granted it is sprawl, at least its done in a relatively urban manner. A development like VAS and this one are much better to look at when driving into a metro area (I know you can't see VAS from the interstate, so don't bring that up) than a bunch of continual strip malls of dollar generals and cash advance places.

NE is growing at an alarming rate, and there is probably no feasible way to stop suburban development, its going to happen. So, lets at least build it in an intelligent way. For that reason, despite the fact that they are waaaaaay out there, I don't really despise VAS or this new place. Who knows, maybe cola will get an Urban Outfitters...I usually dont like clothes, but that place was kind of cool.

Question. Why did they build the two largest shopping centers right next to each other in northeast Columbia instead of one here and one somewhere else? :dontknow:

I was just thinking the same thing. I think the entire metro area would be better served if this were out near Irmo. The ridiculous traffic in NE is set to get even more ridiculous.

As Tem said, this wouldn't be getting built if people weren't moving out that way. Trust me, I'm all for downtown development and density, but Columbia isn't anywhere near the point yet where the best/most retail/restaurant options will be downtown. There are very few cities for which this holds true.

I was just thinking the same thing. I think the entire metro area would be better served if this were out near Irmo. The ridiculous traffic in NE is set to get even more ridiculous.

Irmo's already got shopping galore. I'd have put in in Lower Richland or Cayce/Dixiana. I really expect the NE to tail off and thse two areas to explode in the next ten years.

Of course I would prefer if they invested into downtown, but this kind of sprawl is inevitable at this moment. Looks like a nice mixed-use development, especially with all the green space and lake (I'm also quite surprised by the magnitude of this). But, I think it is way to close to VAS, what kind of retailers do they expect to land at this proximity. I think the Southeast area would be better suited, even though it's not growing at the same pace, it is still booming. If this was built in the Southeast quadrant of the metro, I believe people living in Shandon, Forest Acres, Rosewood, and even Sumter would shop there, and there wouldn't be as much competition. It would also balance out the cities retail centers geographically (and it would be closer to me :D ).

I guess they should go ahead and widen Clemson Rd once again.

Hmm... there's a discussion about Killian's Crossing somewhere else on here, but don't ask me where. I remember checking out their website a while back... was initially entralled by their concept, but after checking into it I remember not being that impressed. Reminds me of the Phillips Place development in Charlotte -- not a bad thing.

I think you have to take a look at what this development is, and compare that to the traditional sprawl you see on Two Noth Road. The majority of growth in cities across America will take place in greenfield sites liket this one, so you can't escape that. Certainly it has problems, but overall this style of development is much better than traditional sprawl. It has preserved open space, mixed uses, relatively high connectivity and alternate entraces to the site. This will be the first project of this nature to truely mix residential and commercial in a vertical fashion in Columbia. VAS has it on-site, but its still separated.

I am guessing that they are counting on the Northeast market to continue its rapid expansion. Blythewood has seen some tremendous growth, so I'm sure that this is well positioned to take advantage of that growth and I-77 traffic, which is more significant than you think.

I am guessing that they are counting on the Northeast market to continue its rapid expansion. Blythewood has seen some tremendous growth, so I'm sure that this is well positioned to take advantage of that growth and I-77 traffic, which is more significant than you think.

Yes, that so true. I don't understand why people underestimate the growth of the Northeast area. I actually lived a half-mile away from this new development before moving to Atlanta and can attest that it's been evolving rapidly since my family got a home their in 2000. I remember the community I lived in was isolated then around 2003 developers started snatching up all the open land building new communities. Retail follows Rooftops, so I've expected something on this scale.

There is one thing I despise about this development, SURFACE PARKING. It would be great if they could eliminate some of it and build a multi-level parking deck/garage. They could totally turn this into a catalyst for Columbia's first edge-city, it already has freeway access, major thoroughfares and tons of available land.

^Yeah it is similar, but at over twice the size as the one proposed for Greer. That's almost mind-boggling.

Anyone know how far Killian's Crossing is from city limits?

Not far because Columbia annexed off of Farrow Rd and I-77.....I know it's under 2 miles though

I think you have to take a look at what this development is, and compare that to the traditional sprawl you see on Two Noth Road. The majority of growth in cities across America will take place in greenfield sites liket this one, so you can't escape that. Certainly it has problems, but overall this style of development is much better than traditional sprawl. It has preserved open space, mixed uses, relatively high connectivity and alternate entraces to the site. This will be the first project of this nature to truely mix residential and commercial in a vertical fashion in Columbia. VAS has it on-site, but its still separated.

I fully agree.

Not far because Columbia annexed off of Farrow Rd and I-77.....I know it's under 2 miles though.

OK, I asked because I remember reading an article about how Columbia is trying to annex some of these commercial developments in NE; if they're that close, they might be targeting this development.

There is one thing I despise about this development, SURFACE PARKING. It would be great if they could eliminate some of it and build a multi-level parking deck/garage. They could totally turn this into a catalyst for Columbia's first edge-city, it already has freeway access, major thoroughfares and tons of available land.

In many cases, the intent of these types of developments is to fill in the parking lots over time. This would be infavor of new development within the same site, and creating parking garages. Garages are very expensive, so for a greenfield development to have one it must be an extremely significant one.

I don't think the numbers would support something of this magnitude in Lower Richland just yet, but Cayce/Dixiana I could see.

I don't think the incomes or demographics exist in either Lower Richland or Cayce/Dixiana. Lexington has the incomes, but not enough population. Northeast Columbia is growing like nothing I've ever seen in the Columbia area, but I'm shocked that someone would build such a huge new development so close to VAS. I'd rather see this built in a more urban manner on the Richland Mall site. :)

Archived