615 South College (Portman Office Tower near Westin)

CarolinaDaydreamin

I wouldn't worry too much about having no tenant in that building.  Chinese investment into North Carolina is on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese company decided place an American corporate headquarters in Uptown Charlotte.  Having a Chinese company locating to Charlotte wouldn't be so bad either, Lenovo put their American headquarters near Raleigh and it has certainly helped the Triangle area.  I think Eileen Cai at the Chamber of Commerce has done a superb job in drawing foreign interest into the Carolinas, especially for Charlotte.  

Charlotte can learn something from Atlanta, Georgia.  The city of Atlanta reached and maintained a good relationship with Asian countries, especially South Korea.  They even allowed them to build a Korean consulate there and relaxed on sign laws and restaurant codes for certain Korean local businesses.  Mecklenburg county codes are too strict on Korean open grills or certain hotpots, because customers will have to cook their own meat and that is why some of the Koreans I know in the city don't want to open a Korean restaurant in charlotte.  Whoever made that code does not understand Korean culture, or maybe Asian culture.  In Korean restaurants, people share the food and grill on the table when cooking, sometimes they use hot coals.  Charlotte has fire codes against this.  The city of Atlanta realized South Korea was looking for opportunities in America and they allowed Korean restaurants to operate more loosely.  In return, with so many Korean influencing in the region it helped bring car manufacturing jobs for Hyundai and Kia plants to the American South.   Now Atlanta has an awesome Koreatown with delicious Korean BBQ restaurants strewn across the city which helped Koreans find the opportunity to help in Atlanta's multicultural development.  In Charlotte, there is not a single Korean BBQ restaurant and I love Kalbi and Bulgogi.  Raleigh has like 4 and I don't want to drive all the way out there.   Charlotte has no Koreatown or Chinatown, but Atlanta and DC have both.  It's good Charlotte is starting to really open up to foreign investment, because I think Chinese people are starting to see opportunity to really create something in the Carolinas.  Charlotte's central location in the Carolinas is key, so what's worth investing in Charlotte for a Chinese person, or even living in Charlotte?  Charlotte will definitely need to have something that will lure Chinese people to want to be in Charlotte and not Raleigh.  If you know about Grand Asia off 485, you know what I'm talking about.   

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry too much about having no tenant in that building.  Chinese investment into North Carolina is on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese company decided place an American corporate headquarters in Uptown Charlotte.  Having a Chinese company locating to Charlotte wouldn't be so bad either, Lenovo put their American headquarters near Raleigh and it has certainly helped the Triangle area.  I think Eileen Cai at the Chamber of Commerce has done a superb job in drawing foreign interest into the Carolinas, especially for Charlotte.  

Charlotte can learn something from Atlanta, Georgia.  The city of Atlanta reached and maintained a good relationship with Asian countries, especially South Korea.  They even allowed them to build a Korean consulate there and relaxed on sign laws and restaurant codes for certain Korean local businesses.  Mecklenburg county codes are too strict on Korean open grills or certain hotpots, because customers will have to cook their own meat and that is why some of the Koreans I know in the city don't want to open a Korean restaurant in charlotte.  Whoever made that code does not understand Korean culture, or maybe Asian culture.  In Korean restaurants, people share the food and grill on the table when cooking, sometimes they use hot coals.  Charlotte has fire codes against this.  The city of Atlanta realized South Korea was looking for opportunities in America and they allowed Korean restaurants to operate more loosely.  In return, with so many Korean influencing in the region it helped bring car manufacturing jobs for Hyundai and Kia plants to the American South.   Now Atlanta has an awesome Koreatown with delicious Korean BBQ restaurants strewn across the city which helped Koreans find the opportunity to help in Atlanta's multicultural development.  In Charlotte, there is not a single Korean BBQ restaurant and I love Kalbi and Bulgogi.  Raleigh has like 4 and I don't want to drive all the way out there.   Charlotte has no Koreatown or Chinatown, but Atlanta and DC have both.  It's good Charlotte is starting to really open up to foreign investment, because I think Chinese people are starting to see opportunity to really create something in the Carolinas.  Charlotte's central location in the Carolinas is key, so what's worth investing in Charlotte for a Chinese person, or even living in Charlotte?  Charlotte will definitely need to have something that will lure Chinese people to want to be in Charlotte and not Raleigh.  If you know about Grand Asia off 485, you know what I'm talking about.   

Theres a new Korean restaurant opening in South End. WOO

Where?!

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.219225,-80.857258,3a,75y,271h,80.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLAG2mq4sBXKHH4JNTQMKKA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

They are opening up this building interestingly enough. It will become this. The Korean Place will only take up 1/4 of the building and there will be space for another couple restaurants and the open space in the back might just become a beer garden.

https://www.facebook.com/seoulfoodmeatco

http://www.seoulfoodmeatco.com

Screen Shot 2015-08-07 at 3.21.45 PM.png

43089_primary.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Eehhhhh, I'd be okay with no more cranes unless it was a rival statement of a skyscraper or something like that. Every time I see a major tower project of any kind I just hear "speculation income inequality corporate welfare."

But I'm in a room with my entire family today, so... I may not be fit to discuss these matters.

So as far as cranes: We got (2) for 300 South Tryon, (1) for Ascent, (1) for Museum Tower, (1) for Skyhouse, (1) for 615 College and (1) for Springhill and in a couple weeks (1) for AC.

So by years end, 8 Cranes. Hopefully Crescent Stonewall and Tryon Place follows soon afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived