Buffalo Central Terminal

colin

I had wanted to see Buffalo for a while, in part because of its Central Terminal. I'm not sure who knows what or if it's been mentioned on here before, but it's essentially a huge (17 stories, I think) abandoned railroad depot east of Downtown Buffalo. It was abandoned in the early 1980's and allowed to decay to the sorry state it's in now.

As it stands, it's open occassionally for events and some tours, but the tower is, for the most part, completely inaccessible. I had been fascinated with it, and had just intended to stop by and take a few pictures of it but, much to my delight, it was open the day I went for a high school art showing.

I also got the chance to talk at some length with one of the members of the society responsible for renovating and saving the building. There's a lot of history there, and it's amazing that the place is open at all with what's happened to it: excessive vandalism, flooding, various fires, Buffalo winters, etc.

Info:

Preservation society with events listing (June 2, an excellent local rock band called Knife Crazy is playing there)

Urban explorer's site pre-restoration and where I originally learned about the site

Pictures:

Inside:

bct7.jpg

bct1.jpg

bct2.jpg

bct3.jpg

bct14.jpg

bct15.jpg

bct16.jpg

bct18.jpg

The old cafe. You can see the marks where the stools once were.

bct4.jpg

bct5.jpg

The "gift shop". I'm not sure if this was staged or not, but it was very eerie:

bct17.jpg

Outside:

bct8.jpg

bct10.jpg

bct11.jpg

bct12.jpg

bct13.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Buffalo Central Terminal is magnificent. I hope that a good use for it can be found. Whay not bring back the trains? I know that that alone wouldn't support much, but surely the tower and the vast support spaces could be put to good use. At least it has been preserved up to a point. This represents a great challenge for the city. Nice pictures.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Whay not bring back the trains? I know that that alone wouldn't support much, but surely the tower and the vast support spaces could be put to good use. At least it has been preserved up to a point. This represents a great challenge for the city.

Archived