±

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Constellation Huntsville, Construction Updates

59 posts in this topic

Posted

Now that this project has been formally announced a new thread would seem to be in order.

The latest, demolition is continuing of the old Market Square structure.

Heart of Huntsville Drive is basically complete, this road runs along the east side of the development.

The new bridge connecting to Monroe St. beside the Embassy Suite is progressing rapidly.

Bids are out on construction of the entire project.

051907_heartofhsv.jpg

Posted

What's the proposed height of the tallest buildings?

Posted

What's the proposed height of the tallest buildings?

Posted

Scott McLain the developer back from retailer conference with optimistic outlook

Just back from his 22nd trip to the International Council of Shopping Centers annual spring convention, Huntsville commercial developer Scott McLain is optimistic about the local retail scene.

"We're well-positioned and well-recognized in the region as a profitable and prosperous retail market," said McLain. "Retailers have discovered the Huntsville market and are very interested in investing here.

"We're clearly on the map."

That's good news for McLain, who's searching for retail tenants for a planned $150 million development at the old Market Square site near downtown Huntsville. The proposed Constellation complex is to include two hotels, restaurants, shops, a condominium or apartment tower, offices and parking.

Posted

sure seems like it is taking a long time to knock this building down, they are being careful it looks like. Construction on the new hotels probably won't begin until the fall anyway.

Posted

sure seems like it is taking a long time to knock this building down, they are being careful it looks like. Construction on the new hotels probably won't begin until the fall anyway.

Posted

When is the project scheduled to be completed?

Posted

^They were saying 2010 in the Huntsville Times article.

Posted

any updates/ tenant possibilities besides the initial examples out there? The site is nearly ready for the hotel construction.

Posted

still no updates on this, all that remains is the tanning salon and it won't be there much longer.

Construction should begin this fall on the hotels.

Posted

well the site is basically clear now , all of the previous buildings are gone.

The new bridge (Williams Street) is also finished, not open to traffic yet.

Posted

The site will be used for Big Spring Jam parking this week . After that we should begin to see signs of construction.

Big Spring Jam is Huntsville's large outdoor music festival downtown.

http://www.bigspringjam.org/

Posted

Jams over. Let's get some new news on this project! I'm getting bored. :)

Posted

Well with Bridge Street opening today and it will continue to open in phases over the next 6 months, pressure will shift to

Constellation. The hotels are anxious to break ground at they may happen soon. There we're some issues I think with

the city over some infrastructure but none are deal breakers.

Posted

EDIT:

http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=7304669

Scott McLain confirmed that there will NOT be a Cheesecake Factory or a Hard Rock Cafe at Constellation, but the tenants will be "different than what you see when you travel." Not a bad idea. Hope to see what he comes up with soon.

Posted

How Hard Rock is still in business is a mystery. Cheesecake, that's ok you can get their deserts at Costco.

Posted

EDIT:

http://www.whnt.com/Global/story.asp?S=7304669

Scott McLain confirmed that there will NOT be a Cheesecake Factory or a Hard Rock Cafe at Constellation, but the tenants will be "different than what you see when you travel." Not a bad idea. Hope to see what he comes up with soon.

Posted

Looks like some preliminary site work is beginning for the hotels.

Also work on Woodson street which will tie into the development is underway.

Posted

Q&A from the Huntsville Times

Q. What happened to the Constellation project in downtown Huntsville? I heard about it back in May but haven't heard anything since. Is that project still on the map?

A. Yes, said Scott McLain, Constellation's developer. McLain said the site's two Marriott hotels, Courtyard and SpringHill Suites, will acquire their property next month and begin construction in January. Once some road access details are made final, deals with stores and restaurants can begin, he said.

The $150 million project at the old MarketSquare Heart of Huntsville mall site will have small shops and restaurants on the ground level and larger retailers on the second floor. McLain said working out agreements with retailers can take several months.

Posted

well, nothing yet, looks like some prep work is taking place but we still wait.

Posted

Kind of strange, but in the article in the Times today about possibly building a new city hall mentioned this plot of land as a possible location for the new city hall(if they decide to go that route). Doubt it will happen, but can the city annex part of this land via imminent domain? That would really suck...

From http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

"Watson mentioned two possible sites: The large city parking lot across from the post office on Clinton Avenue and the former Market Square Mall site where the $150 million Constellation project is being built. "

Posted

If they built a new city hall at one of these sites, would they go ahead and demolish the old one? I don't really care where city hall is, I just don't like the look of that building.

Posted

If they built a new city hall at one of these sites, would they go ahead and demolish the old one? I don't really care where city hall is, I just don't like the look of that building.

Posted

Of course nothing is in stone yet, the article mentions incorporated that land into Big Spring Park.

To each his own. I like the current building. If they do move it, it would make a pretty large impact on the skyline. I'm glad the alternatives location are still in downtown proper. I'm all for expanding downtown's boundaries(north of 565 and west of the parkway) but there is still a decent bit of unused land around that I'd like to see utilized first.

Posted

Tonights planning commission agenda has this on the docket, condos or the hotels maybe?

CONSTELLATION SUBDIVISION

Final (3 lots) Developer: Constellation, LLC

Engineer: SK International, Inc.

Located: Central City, east of Memorial Parkway and north of Governors Drive