jobs in japan

Wild Style

I am a network administrator with 7 yrs of experience, I also have a degree in computer info systems (bachelor). I want to know is it hard to get a job in the I.T. field in Japan and what pay I will be able to fetch over there.

I plan to take japanese for a year or two before I even think about moving over there.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a network administrator with 7 yrs of experience, I also have a degree in computer info systems (bachelor). I want to know is it hard to get a job in the I.T. field in Japan and what pay I will be able to fetch over there.

I plan to take japanese for a year or two before I even think about moving over there.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine lived in Japan for 2 years with her Japanese husband and said she hated life. She said she couldn't find work because she didn't know the language well enough and that it was a necesity if you were to live there. The only reason she was able to get by was because her husband supported her. She said that she could find people to talk to because the Japanese people were always looking for someone to practice their English with but when it came to business, fluent Japanese was a must.

Thats weird, I heard it IS easy for foreigners (that only speak English). I have two grandparents that live in Japan. The nice thing about working for a company in Japan is they can't fire you; only embarass you by repremanding you in public or giving you a lower position in the company.

If you want to go to Japan as an English speaker with essentially no Japanese language skills, essentially your only option - outside of a US military base - is to teach English, or be in a position somehow related to the instruction of English.

If you have moderate Japanese language skills (fluent, but not native-level fluent) you may be able to find a job at a Japanese office of a foreign company, most likely in some sort of position interfacing between the local office and the headquarters. If you are looking to truly integrate within a Japanese company, you need to have pretty much native-level fluency.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd agree with Nashville here. I have been to Tokyo three times and find that many Japanese cannot speak a lick of English (so if your Japanese language skills are not great, good luck).

Also, it is very hard to get into Japan unless you are sponsored by a company. My company wanted to move someone to Japan who's wife was Japanese, and we still had to sponsor him.

Personally, I think most Americans would be miserable living in Japan. I could see it being a very lonely place if it were not for the fact that people *have* to watch over me and entertain me.

Singapore, on the other hand, seems like an ideal situation if you want to work in Asia. Booming economy, English is the official language and the Job market is *ridiculously* tight. And, every other car you see is a BMW or Mercedes. Things must be going well. ;)

Joe

Archived