Tokyo

monsoon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't see the pics, red Xs.

monsoon - I think New England Native means that as a financial and economic centre Frankfurt has prominence in the category of Tokyo's (though personally I disagree). Also I've heard people say that Frankfurt + the Ruhr-Rhein area should be considered a single metro and would give 9+ million people - not sure where I can find it as a stat though.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

actually, there are different numbers and facts and if you count way outside the city sure you'll get this much, and no Tokyo metro

31 million New York City 30million and these facts are counting way over both metros and as high as any facts about both cities, that I know, and after we bombed Tokyo in WW2 Tokyo got a chance to modernized there city, if NYC got a chance to they would have modernized, probably. but still that is beatiful but Tokyo doesn't have many tall buildings, they do but I mean not like world record or anything. Even Los Angeles has taller buildings then Tokyo, Library Tower, 85 stories and it is the tallest building built in a seismic area, it can withstand a 8.3 magnitude earthquake, sorry but I got a new book on skyscrapers and I'm learning cool stuff and can't keep it to myself.

If you count the 23 wards that make up inner Tokyo, you get around 8 million. If you count Tokyo "prefecture" you get 11-13 million, and then if you count the Tokyo-Yokohama area, with Kanagawa, Chiba, and Saitama Prefectures, you'll get the 30+ million number.

If you count the 23 wards that make up inner Tokyo, you get around 8 million. If you count Tokyo "prefecture" you get 11-13 million, and then if you count the Tokyo-Yokohama area, with Kanagawa, Chiba, and Saitama Prefectures, you'll get the 30+ million number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you counted it in terms of density and compared similar areas. Then you you have NYC's 5 bouroughs compared to the Tokyo-Yokohama area, Chiba and Saitama. Roughly 7M to 30M. Once you leave inner NYC, there are big wide open spaces that simply don't exist in the Tokyo area.

In addition, the rail system in Tokyo is of the heavy rail type (more advanced) similar to that of the NYC Subway system except the lines stretch 60 miles or more. Imagine getting on the subway in lower manhatten and riding it to Poughkeepsie in the Mid-Hudson valley. Tokyo has the development to support this. NYC obvioulsly doesn't.

True, But NYC has the most subway stations in the world. Tokyo is more advanced with there bullet train.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is because Tokyo has multiple transit systems as opposed to just one subway system in NYC. If you counted ALL stops in Tokyo, it would far exceed anything in NYC. In Tokyo there are 3 municipal subway systems, JR surface rail (though also travels underground) numerous private subways and trains. There are suspended trains, monorails, trams, people movers, the Tokyo Teleport, it is endless. NYC simply does not compare.

Tokyo Transit Map

rosen%20tokyo.jpg

The key difference is that Japan is a country with extremely limited space, and here in America, space is considered limitless. The Japanese have the mindset to build up becuase there isn't any other option. I read somewhere that the vast majority of Japanese do not own a home.

I don't think anyone can argue against the density of Tokyo:)

I agree. If you ever get the chance to go there, NYC and London are fantastic. I hope to go to Tokyo one day. My concern is the language barrier. I can handle European languages fairly well, but the Japanese is extremely intimidating. Any thoughts on that?

Archived