Gonzales & Ascension Parish

dan326

Riverton was mentioned on another thread; but never saw site plan; thanks Dan. Wow! Tiny Sorrento looks like it can triple it's population with these two developments!

This should be some prime beachfront property in another 100 years with rising sea-levels according to the experts...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the development that was started a couple of years ago at Airline and 42 is going to be and what the status of it is?

If i remember, I think its called Commerce Centre? Its a mix use development and as far as I know I think they are still waiting to start development.

Does anyone know what the development that was started a couple of years ago at Airline and 42 is going to be and what the status of it is?

The developer wanted a Neighborhood and a shopping center but the only way it would be approved was if he allowed for a portion of the land be used for a new school. It was approved a few weeks ago. You can dig up some more info on the Advocate website.

The school is planned to start this summer but I think it's a mistake to build a school there. Imagine the traffic backup from the school buses in the mornings and the afternoon. Just seems like a dumb idea which isn't suprising considering the lack of planning in Prairieville.

yeah that is a very strange spot for a school. 42 is bad enough in the morning and afternoons, I can only imagine what it will be like when they put a new school

Saw this WBRZ video (http://www.wbrz.com/news/highway-42-to-be-four-lanes/) about Hwy 42 becoming 4 lanes from airline hwy to hwy 44 (N Burnside) with sidewalks and bike paths. Mentions this is a pilot of their road program. Pretty aggressive start and with the new subdivision, shopping center and school planned for the Hwy 42 and Airline intersection I'd say very smart.

Cue the "more lanes are bad!!!" crowd.

Saw this WBRZ video (http://www.wbrz.com/...-be-four-lanes/) about Hwy 42 becoming 4 lanes from airline hwy to hwy 44 (N Burnside) with sidewalks and bike paths. Mentions this is a pilot of their road program. Pretty aggressive start and with the new subdivision, shopping center and school planned for the Hwy 42 and Airline intersection I'd say very smart.

Cue the "more lanes are bad!!!" crowd.

More lanes are bad.

I''m starting to think you guys are just jealous that people want to live in the surrounding parishes and not East Baton Rouge. I've lived there and no how backed up 73 can get. Adding a turn lane will help a lot.

By a lot of peoples attitude here, why should we do anything? It's only going to get worse. Oh woe is us.

Edited by itsjustme2

I drove home daily making that left turn to go home on 42. I'm not jealous of suburbanites, people like different things, but at least things are improving. They're 5-10 years behind, but what else isn't in the state.

I would like to see more exits on I-10 through that area, it would give more main thoroughfares than the few they have, I feel like that would be more effective but I'm no DOTD expert.

Edited by Antrell Williams

• 2 weeks later...