Charlotte Photo of the Day

cltheel.sdl

I went on another mini photo run today, so I will post my photo of the day. Also I have updated my Photobucket Site, so check it out...

Remaining Morehead Station from Trolley on the Light Rail, near the Morehead Bridge...

Uptown024.jpg

Site to my Charlotte Development pics, organized by Building, then by date...

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/Andyc545/Charlotte/

OK this is something that really ticks me off about NCDOT, who on EARTH makes the HOV restriction 24 hours? I've driven in HOV lanes in dozens of cities, and not ONCE have I seen a 24 hour restriction. The very idea of it is maddening. WHY did they make it restricted permanently?

OK this is something that really ticks me off about NCDOT, who on EARTH makes the HOV restriction 24 hours? I've driven in HOV lanes in dozens of cities, and not ONCE have I seen a 24 hour restriction. The very idea of it is maddening. WHY did they make it restricted permanently?

But why would you need to ever drive on it outside the high traffic times, anyway. If it's 3 am, drive on the regular road, either way... I guess this is why they aren't very popular, and are planned to be phased out with alternatives as described in the other post.

Edited by Andyc545

But why would you need to ever drive on it outside the high traffic times, anyway. If it's 3 am, drive on the regular road, either way... I guess this is why they aren't very popular, and are planned to be phased out with alternatives as described in the other post.

During the middle of the day its a lot busier, but not busy enough to merit completely sealing off that lane to HOVs. I've honestly never seen a 24hr HOV lane before.

The freeway is not busy enough to warrant 4 lanes during non-rush hour travel, so what is the problem? The lanes were paid for by the separate funds dedicated to HOVs, so why shouldn't they be HOV lanes all day. If you want to ride in the lane, then coordinate your travel so that more people are in the car with you.

The freeway is not busy enough to warrant 4 lanes during non-rush hour travel, so what is the problem? The lanes were paid for by the separate funds dedicated to HOVs, so why shouldn't they be HOV lanes all day. If you want to ride in the lane, then coordinate your travel so that more people are in the car with you.

OK, last post I'll make about this so as to not throw the thread off topic, but if its not busy enough to warrant 4 lanes of traffic during non-rush hour travel (I disagree with this, 77 north of uptown during the day time, non-rush hour, is pretty busy), how is it busy enough to warrant that one lane be closed to non-HOV traffic?

Good question. A quick search turned up this list for 24hr HOV lanes:

Miami, Ottowa, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Dallas, Seattle, Houston, LA, Vancouver BC, Hartford CT, Denver, Atlanta, DC.

Source: http://hovpfs.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/inventory/inventory.htm