Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

The stadium will be roughly on 1 1/2 of those two blocks, the rest of which (along 4th St) will be a couple of plazas and a hotel. It has been long determined that the Virginia Paper building will be torn down for this project, which is definitely a shame, but could not be included in the designs for the stadium.

3rd Street will be removed from the beginning of the 4th Street connector to Mint Street. The 2-way 4th street will be extended east all the way to Mint, so that eastbound drivers on 4th will continue east and then use Mint to connect to 3rd Street. I'm not sure if it is paid for in this project, but the plan is also to make Poplar 2-way, so they may make 4th two way to Poplar so that drivers can either use Mint or Poplar to connect over to 3rd.

You can see that in this rendering:

71f67488b0857639cee631943a3fc6fa_XL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia Paper Company demolition will begin Monday at 7am

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/28/3563489/crews-to-tear-down-virginia-paper.html

I'm not sure that building was salvageable anyways… But on a good note it's amazing to see how much has already begun on the site with dirt movers, fences up and obviously the VPC building destruction taking place.

VPC still standing. I suppose when they say demolition starts yesterday, that doesn't mean they're going to implode it right at the stroke of 7:00am. Some plywood got moved around yesterday, and there's already guys in orange vests out there this morning, so maybe they'll start bashing bricks today.

Unless some nutjob has chained himself to the building, demanding that Charlotte wait for an MLB team.

Now let's focus on getting other old pre-WWII commercial buildings into a state of adaptive reuse. In the last decade, we lost the buildings at 8th & Blue Line (for the mythic First Ward Park), at MLK & Church (for Bearden Park), VA Paper building for BB&T Park, the historic Duke Power headquarters for Ally, the row of Trade St buildings (old Carpe Diem) for the TWC Arena... They are dropping like flies. In most of these cases, it is a necessary evil because the progress created important infrastructure and growth. But there are still buildings like Treloar House, the Polk/Coddington Building, the building that seems set to become the Fourth Ward Bakery at some point. I'm sure there are many others just outside of uptown as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the Knights have submitted some additional rezoning requests for more signage at the baseball field. The new rezoning request also includes a PDF with some more renders.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2013/001-006/2013-005%20site%20plan.pdf

I especially like the brick exposed walls along the stadium with "retro" style paintings commemorating the history of Charlotte baseball. This should be a good looking ball field.

I'll also say, as a baseball fan, when I'm in a new city that has one I always make a point to go check it out. Even if that just means walking around it. Baseball has a special place in many hearts and the "park" is an extremely important aspect of the sport. A well done, accessible ballpark is a nice place to visit, even when not open to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the hotel in the outfield being constructed now or is it part of a future phase? Who would be developing it? Will the Knights profit from it? I'm all for using tax payer dollars to subsidize the ballpark, but I think it's ridiculous that the Knights asked for extra money essentially to build more for profit ventures on free land.

Unless I'm completely mistaken - The hotel is not part of the stadium financing.

I think it's technically an outparcel of the land that the city leasing the land to the Knights. So the city would make property taxes off the outparcel. Someone would have to bid to develop?