Charlotte Knights AAA Ballpark in Third Ward

dubone

The vote to for the land swap deal was deferred for two weeks until the Jan. 15th meeting. This included all aspects including the Stadium, Brooklyn Village, and the park. The reason was they felt a meeting needed to be set up between the commission and Reese to try and resolve this lawsuit before any land swap was finalized.

The main part of this that annoys me about Reece is the Marlins have said clearly they aren't interested in coming to Charlotte and MLB has said they aren't interested in expanding into Charlotte. Reece even said in a public meeting, when asked what level of talks he has had with the Marlins that he had basically had none but they had exchanged a message or two (I actually think he said he sent them a card).

This is a waste of time and money for everyone involved. At some point reasonable people give up on something that has no chance of happening. I could see his point if anyone at any team or MLB has expressed interest here, but they haven't. Now it seems that this is just an exercise in being stubborn.

The main part of this that annoys me about Reece is the Marlins have said clearly they aren't interested in coming to Charlotte and MLB has said they aren't interested in expanding into Charlotte. Reece even said in a public meeting, when asked what level of talks he has had with the Marlins that he had basically had none but they had exchanged a message or two (I actually think he said he sent them a card).

This is a waste of time and money for everyone involved. At some point reasonable people give up on something that has no chance of happening. I could see his point if anyone at any team or MLB has expressed interest here, but they haven't. Now it seems that this is just an exercise in being stubborn.

It's not very likely, and I haven't thought through the merits, but I'd like to see the County counterclaim (and join the Knights as a third party plainitiff) for damages incurred as a result of the park opening (at least) a year later than planned. There are all sorts of challenges associated with proving damages (whether the park would have opened for 2009 but for Reese's lawsuit and proving the anticipated profits realized as a result of the new park). Plus, I haven't thought through what basis for a claim the Knights/Mecklenburg County would have. They have a reasonably cogent argument that Reese's suit violates Rule(s) of Civil Procedure, but I don't know if violation of a Rule of Civil Procedure (in this case, that the attorney/party filed a claim that neither individual reasonably believed to have any merit, whatsoever) is enough to impose liability. The only real benefit would be to dissuade Reese from prosecuting his action any further (because any further prosecution of his claim would necessarily involve the Knights/County's prosecution of its new claim against Reese, thereby increasing his attorney fees much more (and, from what I hear, Diehl's not cheap)).

Of course, this is all just quick-and-dirty rambling - in no way intended to be a formal recommendation to the County or the Knights and not intended to be a succinct or authoritiative statement of the law - just something I'd like to see (as emphasized) as a spectator who wants baseball downtown before I'm eligible to collect Social Security (as if it's even going to exist!).

I'm pretty sure the school bonds are wrapped into it as the school system smartly got some education money out of giving up surplus land instead of just office space as originally pitched. It has all gotten much more complex than I can follow so it might not be so simple.

But everyone is better off that all the land baked into the land swap is put to many good use and spurs activity unlike before. Reese's plan would have either required more public investment or else would have demanded that much more land lay fallow while waiting for MLB.

In my view, if MLB comes through in 2025, then the county simply gets their land back to be sold for development. If not, then we have a lively use of that land in the meantime that serves a park and recreation use.

As much as anything I'm happy that this swap helps reinvigorate 2nd Ward, gives a nod (and affordable housing) back where it was taken away in Urban Renewal from the Brooklyn Neighborhood, and an underused park (Marshall) and large county parking lots surrounding a small building are put to better use. Combine this with a park in 3rd Ward that will actually see usage all the time and a revenue generating stadium.

I'm like Dubone, I can't say i could weed through the complications of this multilevel complicated scenario, but the city and county are getting money back and aren't spending more than gaining from what can be seen on the surface. As a simple resident and citizen I just want to see something happen overall even if this ISN'T what comes about. One guy holding up everyone else because he is focused on MLB seems a bit selfish at least from my view.

From what I've been told about his life and finances, and what I've seen (I've met Jerry before -- he and and his boyfriend worked out where I used to) he isn't wealthy. If he is he hides it well. He also hasn't presented exactly how he thinks his plan would be financed unless I somehow missed it. His plan WON'T be using his money and would likely be asking for public money -- therefore not really a better plan for the county or city coffers than what is before us.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I posted earlier that the Knights new ballpark site was the former passenger station for Charlotte's Interurban Piedmont and Northern RR that ran electrified service to Gastonia 1912-1951. I have some other history of that RR in another thread, but here is an interesting baseball related fact -- the opening day promotion on the rail line, May 20, 1912, was a combination rail/Charlotte Hornets vs Spartanburg Carolina League baseball ticket for a 4 pm game that day. They sold 1,500, and the 4,800 in attendance at the game was not only a Hornets attendance record, but also a Carolina League record at the time.

here are three photos of the site I took yesterday. One shows a rail at the surface between 3rd and 4th streets, the other a shot of the concrete footings, likely for the passenger station, the last some more platform concrete.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/...36_5_464586.jpg rail at surface

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/...36_5_264953.jpg concrete pad at passenger station location

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/...36_5_557202.jpg platform, probably freight lead. Upper deck of Bank of America Stadium visible in background

I think it would be really nice if the team could do something to recognize the history of the site. Maybe not as drastic as renaming the team, but what about incorporating rail depot design into the architecture of the stadium and historical markers & photos along some of the concourses? I think it would be awesome to have a front entrance modeled on a grand passenger station the way Camden Yards is modeled off old warehouses.

The O is reporting that Jerry Reese has offered to settle his suit against the county but won't give any details. They'd better not give him anything. The next commissioners meeting is next Tuesday where they'll discuss his offer.

"Legal Damages" = $$$

"Equitable Relief" = injunctions and the like

I haven't even read the Complaint, but did Reese sue the Commission for any legal damages (as opposed to equitable relief)? I can understand Reese suing as a taxpayer, seeking an injunction to stop the construction because of [insert his "shortsightedness" argument here...] I don't know what legal damages he could claim as a result of the construction, but honestly, I don't know what equitable relief he could hope to obtain in any settlement.

Commissioners vote tonight on the proposals to sign a lease with the Knights, sell the 1st Ward land so it can be used to build Brooklyn Village, and buy the land for the 3rd Ward Park. They will also vote to reject Jerry Reese's "settlement." The majority of the commissioners have already said that they will vote against it because he is demanding things that are impossible for them to give. Reese has said that if they do not agree, he will file MORE lawsuits.

They will also vote to reject Jerry Reese's "settlement." The majority of the commissioners have already said that they will vote against it because he is demanding things that are impossible for them to give. Reese has said that if they do not agree, he will file MORE lawsuits.

Any idea what he is asking for? Especially what he is asking for that *impossible for them to give*? I don't want him to get anything, but just curious. He is also going to threaten more lawsuits?? On who's behalf is he speaking, fluffing, and threatening? At least, though I didn't agree at all, the anti-rail folks had a large following that they were representing. I am not aware of any public outcry behind Mr. Reese on this.

Anyone know of a store that sells tar and feathers?

I think it would be really nice if the team could do something to recognize the history of the site. Maybe not as drastic as renaming the team, but what about incorporating rail depot design into the architecture of the stadium and historical markers & photos along some of the concourses? I think it would be awesome to have a front entrance modeled on a grand passenger station the way Camden Yards is modeled off old warehouses.

This is an excellent suggestion, rockhilljames! :thumbsup: