Charlotte Weather

It could be worse. The dew point has only been in the upper 60's which actually "low" by our summer standards. Once it creeps into the 70's, it just gets plain miserable!

94 with a 78 degree dew point up in NYC yesterday, and we don't have the luxuries of Air Conditioned Cars and Houses, so consider yourselves lucky everyone! Luckily we had a CRAZY storm and it was 66 by midnight.

Last 3 days at 100.  3 in a row only happened 11 times in 137 year history of Charlotte weather, according to @wxbrad.  4 days of 100+ in June is the most ever for June.

95+ streak is now at 11 days, with 2 more likely, making this the 3rd longest streak ever (and already longest ever in June).

Interesting with all these records no call for opening cooling stations at rec centers and schools for citizens without AC and admissions to hospitals with heat related conditions or death, no program for free fans for those in need. All the usual signs of summer heat emergencies are missing in this remarkable stretch. I guess everyone has AC or common sense.

I don't often see cooling centers in the south. Unlike the midwest and northeast, pretty much everyone is outfitted with A/C or fans, or has ready access to cooling. Where 95+ is an emergency in Boston, here it's pretty normal. (Shall we say, the inverse of a snow emergency.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Panovich actually mentioned this the other day, but I'm glad to see it may be finally becoming a reality.  If any of you recall the F2 that hit us a couple years back, the lack of a warning was a direct result of not having adequate radar coverage:

http://thevane.gawker.com/u-s-senator-introduces-bill-to-build-weather-radars-fo-1731590189

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rain during our Monday night football game this season vs. the Colts and rain during the Belk Bowl. Our national broadcasts this year won't help us for landing future events at un-covered Bank of America Stadium. I don't think it is worth the cost of covering the stadium with a roof, but the lack of a roof will probably become an even bigger issue against the covered NFL stadiums. The most prominent events seem stuck in a cycle with Dallas, Phoenix, Indianapolis, New Orleans, etc... landing the Super Bowl and such for their domes.

Unfortunately the rain looks like it is going to run right through the Belk Bowl and the game is going to be a wet mess. I don't envy the fans that spent several hundred bucks to over $1k to travel for the game. An hour into Fan Fest, there are more police officers standing around guarding the event than people walking around and listening to music 

Edited by CLT2014

24 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Rain during our Monday night football game this season vs. the Colts and rain during the Belk Bowl. Our national broadcasts this year won't help us for landing future events at un-covered Bank of America Stadium. I don't think it is worth the cost of covering the stadium with a roof, but the lack of a roof will probably become an even bigger issue against the covered NFL stadiums. The most prominent events seem stuck in a cycle with Dallas, Phoenix, Indianapolis, New Orleans, etc... landing the Super Bowl and such for their domes.

Unfortunately the rain looks like it is going to run right through the Belk Bowl and the game is going to be a wet mess. I don't envy the fans that spent several hundred bucks to over $1k to travel for the game. An hour into Fan Fest, there are more police officers standing around guarding the event than people walking around and listening to music 

Below was the contingency plan when the Super bowl was hosted in the new outdoor Metlife Stadium a few years back, I'm sure if we landed the SB here in Charlotte, the contingency plan would be the same.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/nfl-planning-contingencies-for-weather-issues-at-super-bowl/

• 1 month later...

Is Winter returning to the Charlotte area?

As a winter weather lover ( I LOVE snow) I can truly say this winter season has sucked pretty much in every area. There is a ray of hope coming up next week according to WCNC 36. Two days next week include a 40% chance of Snow /Rain. If nothing comes of it I'm throwing in the towel.

• Like 1

So, the O decided to predict 5 inches of snow on this coming Monday earlier this week. I know we all take any forecast with a grain of salt. Too often, just the opposite of what is forecasted happens. Whether it's a cold rain when snow is predicted or freezing rain when a cold rain is predicted, it always seems to be a wait-and-see thing. But Brad Panovich actually stood up for his fellow meteorologists and called out the Observer for a false claim. No news outlet except for the Observer he anything close to predicting 5 inches.

http://www.wcnc.com/videos/weather/2016/02/11/80264970/

Now, watch this be completely wrong on Monday just because I posted it. Get ready for Snowpacalypse II for 2016.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

July weather for CLT:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCLT/2016/7/1/CustomHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=7&yearend=2016&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

29 of 31 days with a high of 90+

27 of 31 days with a low of 70+

140 consecutive hours at 75+ (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Low of 78 on Jul 28.  By my count that's only the 4th time with a low that high since 2001.

2 minutes ago, grodney said:

July weather for CLT:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCLT/2016/7/1/CustomHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=7&yearend=2016&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

29 of 31 days with a high of 90+

27 of 31 days with a low of 70+

140 consecutive hours at 75+ (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Low of 78 on Jul 28.  By my count that's only the 4th time with a low that high since 2001.

That is insane. Minimal rain too, a lot of stuff in Romare is starting to die. This week its supposed to rain, it needs to.