Charlotte Weather

I think the entire city got in on the act today as opposed to the spotty storms we have had the last 4 days. Down in south Charlotte, it was quite nasty especially around 5:40pm. It wasn't long after I was hearing the sound of fire truck sirens. The good thing is the sustained rainfall. Where I live, it started raining at 5:10pm and continued solid until around 7:30pm. I'm very thankful for that!

It was like that here in Rock Hill too. This storm seemed to have a lot of lightening in it, and the thunder actually shook my condo while I was working in my home office. It really freaked out my Golden Retriever. I do think after the severe part of the storm came through at like 5:20, it kept raining until at least 7:30 or 8:00. Good thing too, b/c it seemed like Rock Hill was missing out on a lot of the action over the last month that some parts of the region have seen. This was beneficial rain, even if for about 15 minutes, it wasn an absolute deluge.

My rain gauge picked up a little over 1.5", so that was pretty good.

While tonight was a great soaking rain that covered almost all of the region, it seems that was an exeption to most of the recent weather. Some parts of Charlotte (like my house near Matthews) has been getting decent rain almost every other day amounting to several inches but other parts of Charlotte (like the Airport) has only gotten something like 1/10 of an inch total over the last couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I go with some radar images again... :rolleyes:

What came barreling through here at 8pm tonight was quite severe in south, south eastern Charlotte. I haven't gone outside to survey yet, but I heard quite a few crackling branches and possibly small trees come down in the woods behind me. The lightning was also severe and the hail was heavy for about 5 minutes. Whew! This storm came in like a freight train! No warning at all. I would venture to say a small downburst occurred in my area the way the winds had the trees sideways for about 30 seconds.

OK, here is something quite interesting although I know it happens frequently. I have the images in order of time. 8:15pm, 8:20pm, 8:45pm and 8:55pm. They are traveling towards the north, northeast.

On the first image, note the smaller storm to the north west, I think that is Stanley County. See how these 2 storms gradually merge into 1 big monster!!!! Kinda neat!

815P.jpg

820P.jpg

845P.jpg

855P.jpg

908P.jpg

Also, you can clearly see the lightning from the Royal Court webcam at 9:39pm (7-22-08).

Edited by swampfox43

At least I wasn't the only one lurking on Wunderground. I'm near Johnston & Carmel, it wasn't too bad but clearly there was a lot of lightning nearby and I thought it strange how long it's taken for these storms to clear out. We'll probably be reading about power outages and damage in the news. The radar loops show these storms really burst forth after crossing north into center city.

post-4915-1216777965_thumb.png

Edited by MZT

On the first image, note the smaller storm to the north west, I think that is Stanley County. See how these 2 storms gradually merge into 1 big monster!!!! Kinda neat!

815P.jpg

That is the town of Stanley, not the County of Stanly. Stanley (with an E) is to the west. Stanly (without an E) County is to the east of Charlotte.

That is the town of Stanley, not the County of Stanly. Stanley (with an E) is to the west. Stanly (without an E) County is to the east of Charlotte.

Thanks. I knew that was Gaston County actually. My brain just wasn't playing along with me (that storm really frazzled me, LOL)... :thumbsup:

This is a great image from WCNC

http://www.wcnc.com/perl/common/slideshow/...amp;nextimage=2

Edited by swampfox43

OK, wow! How did you save such a long time span of motion? Mine only allows for 15 minute loops to be saved. I guess I could take several loops into ImageReady and connect them. Is that how you did that? I'll have to work on that next time...;)

Thanks for that!! Definitely better than a bunch of still shots.

Edited by swampfox43

did you guys get any storms lastnight or today? Yesterday was very explosive. Lots of wind damage and large hail here in the eastern part of the state.

Come check out my NC weather message board if you have not seen it yet. If you have, we have a new look...also added a chat room for severe weather events. We need some members from the Charlotte area too.

the link for the website is in my sig.

hopefully I will talk to some of you guys over there later. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Holy Moly!!!! YES!!! It has just now let up and this one was very bad. The wind bursts were terrible and more trees have fallen. The lightning was just incredible. It came almost the exact same time as last nights storm. I actually shot some video I'll see if I can upload it.

I was typing a reply to RaleighHeelsFan when the power went out. I had just glanced at the radar and could tell the cell had passed, but was growing larger east of me and about to merge with another growing cell coming out of South Carolina. Weddington and Matthews were clearly going to take a beating, with 70+ DBz readings appearing on the radar!

The storm wasn't too bad from where I live (Johnston/Carmel) but I could tell the rain was heavier and the storm more "concentrated" than the night before. There was peanut sized hail in it, and lots of lightning. The kind of environment that makes me think about tornados! :shok:

It was over fairly quickly though, followed by clear air and an eiree pink light. Various neighbors were outside trying to figure out where their dogs went, or whose dogs they had found...

At this point I grabbed my digital and shot a few stills before the batteries gave out. Definately an aggressive storm had formed to my southeast, as I saw lightning flashing rapidly, with sparse pauses.

Here are my shots of the back of the storm, in the pink afterglow. (I got my power back around 1AM, after hearing Duke Power working one street over, with chainsaws.)

post-4915-1216902057_thumb.jpg

post-4915-1216902063_thumb.jpg

post-4915-1216902068_thumb.jpg

Edited by MZT

• 4 months later...

Ok, could we please get a sunny day soon? Heck I would settle for mostly cloudly with peeks of blue...this constant drear is really starting to make me cranky :angry: And next week does not look to be much of an improvement.

No kidding... I feel like we live in San Francisco with all this fog.