Spartanburg Area Economic Developments

hub-city

It's clear that CH2M just wants to use the Greenville "brand" to draw in employees.  Their choice to be in traffic hell on I-85 instead of DT Spartanburg or DT Greenville speaks to an out-of-touch, top-down, short-sighted corporate decision for this move.  Clearly they're not a "downtown" company, and that will hurt them in the long run more than being in Spartanburg vs Greenville would.

The differences between Greenville and Spartanburg are not that big.  As Sparkleman said, many of Greenville's advantages are countered by its disadvantages.  And the two cities are less than 30 miles apart.  We're essentially one metro area.  You can live one place and work in the other as easily or more easily than getting around in a bigger city like Charlotte.  I don't understand why we don't function more like Raleigh-Durham in the sense that anywhere in the region is desirable.

It may be beyond the scope of this thread topic, but what can we do to attract/keep these companies?  As Spartan said, we're on the right track in some areas.  But I think that we need a company like CH2M to give us a chance to show that we're capable of supporting them.  I mean, they've been here for decades without struggling to get by, or they would've moved sooner.  We'll never have the demographics to support companies like this if none of them are here. And with no engineering-like companies here, then why would the people with those qualifications be here?  I see it as a classic chicken-and-egg scenario.  We're stuck in a cycle that is extremely difficult to break.

Anyway, that's my stream-of-consciousness rant.  Any ideas/solutions?  Talk me off the ledge here. Haha.

Edited by westsider28

It's clear that CH2M just wants to use the Greenville "brand" to draw in employees.  Their choice to be in traffic hell on I-85 instead of DT Spartanburg or DT Greenville speaks to an out-of-touch, top-down, short-sighted corporate decision for this move.  Clearly they're not a "downtown" company, and that will hurt them in the long run more than being in Spartanburg vs Greenville would.

The differences between Greenville and Spartanburg are not that big.  As Sparkleman said, many of Greenville's advantages are countered by its disadvantages.  And the two cities are less than 30 miles apart.  We're essentially one metro area.  You can live one place and work in the other as easily or more easily than getting around in a bigger city like Charlotte.  I don't understand why we don't function more like Raleigh-Durham in the sense that anywhere in the region is desirable.

It may be beyond the scope of this thread topic, but what can we do to attract/keep these companies?  As Spartan said, we're on the right track in some areas.  But I think that we need a company like CH2M to give us a chance to show that we're capable of supporting them.  I mean, they've been here for decades without struggling to get by, or they would've moved sooner.  We'll never have the demographics to support companies like this if none of them are here. And with no engineering-like companies here, then why would the people with those qualifications be here?  I see it as a classic chicken-and-egg scenario.  We're stuck in a cycle that is extremely difficult to break.

Anyway, that's my stream-of-consciousness rant.  Any ideas/solutions?  Talk me off the ledge here. Haha.

In my opinion, the "leadership" at CH2M simply wants to relocate to Greenville.  Period.  Spartanburg has obviously offered them generous incentives to stay.  At some point, you gotta just accept that and move on.  Their connections to Spartanburg are not what they once were and I'm not particularly bothered by them leaving.  Heck, One Morgan Square was quickly filled when ESA departed, and by a company with a commitment to Spartanburg.

However, like ESA before them. CH2M's reasons for leaving are pretty lame.  This company has been in Spartanburg for many years and to my knowledge has never had a problem recruiting, 

I'm confident that our city is on the right track as far as making it a place that is more attractive to well-educated white collar workers. 

• Like 1

I agree that this move is pretty baseless. However, I am glad that they are staying in the upstate and adding jobs.

Maybe it's been stated already, but are they planning on building a new building? If they are that will be angering..

I don't understand why buildings all over Greenville county sit empty and companies feel the need to build new ones.

The difference between GSP and RDU is the Research Triangle office park that sits in between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. It has thousands of high paying jobs in the center of their metro, and it serves as their main business center and economic engine, even as the various urban centers (like downtown Raleigh and Durham) add jobs and reinvent themselves. Living in the sprawl between those cities is worthwhile because the schools are great and its relatively convenient to drive everywhere. Other than BMW and the airport, there isn't anything significant to link Greenville and Spartanburg together in that way.

For what's it's worth, I think the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem) is a better comparison.

• Like 1

H-J reports that grading has begun for a new Dollar Tree distribution center straddling the Spartanburg / Cherokee County line near Cowpens.  While an official announcement hasn't been made it  appears that it is only a matter of time.

Also, according to the article, this facility will be larger than the huge Amazon Fulfillment Center and will be, at 1.5 million square feet, the largest distribution center in the state.  This announcement comes on the heels of the recent Rite Aid distribution center that is currently under construction a few miles south off I-85. 

• 2 weeks later...

CH2M Hill moving is now official.  Good riddance, sell-outs.

In some positive news, a metal recycling company is bringing 35 jobs to the Converse mill area.

I guess we're forever doomed to be the Upstate's poor, blue-collar, industrial town, while Greenville gets all the HQs & well-paying jobs. (Hyperbole, I know. But I'm pissed.)  More balance would be nice...

CH2M Hill moving is now official.  Good riddance, sell-outs.

In some positive news, a metal recycling company is bringing 35 jobs to the Converse mill area.

I guess we're forever doomed to be the Upstate's poor, blue-collar, industrial town, while Greenville gets all the HQs & well-paying jobs. (Hyperbole, I know. But I'm pissed.)  More balance would be nice...

We've been following this for several months and none of us are really surprised by yesterday's official announcement. Nevertheless, a disappointment for sure, 

In the final analysis, CH2M Hill wanted to relocate and there was really nothing the community could do to retain them.  I reject your "we're forever doomed...".  So many good things happening here!

I have a good friend, a civil engineer, that has worked there for 10 years. He has been talking for 2 or 3 years about this eventually happening, as there is senior management in that Spartanburg office that has been hell bent on moving to Greenville.  It's no surprise.  The only surprise is that it took this long. Employees are not happy for the most part, there has been talk of people in offices being relocated to cubicles once they move and that isn't sitting well with longterm employees. I know he's starting to look elsewhere.  The company has other issues as well, many layoffs within the last year and some legal problems.

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 3

I think that Spartanburg will eventually be able to attract white collar jobs, but it is disappointing that we have so

many quality white collar jobs that have left for Greenville:

Centerplate

Steadman Hawkins

Progress Lighting

CH2M Hill

Pacolet Milliken (soon)

Extended Stay to Charlotte

All of these combined could have made Downtown Spartanburg a really different place.

• Like 1

The thing is though that none of these places wanted to be here, they all wanted to move for one reason or another. I know for a fact that the bid to keep CH2M Hill here was out of the park fantastic, but they didn't want to be here. I say good riddance & a polite F##k Y**!

Spartanburg is going to succeed regardless and I really think its going to be on the back of the continuing education center we are building here (VCOM, The George, SCC, etc.). Like everyone else I would welcome any white collar jobs that want to come here and perhaps we can lure some middle size companies, but it chaps me and I'm sure it chaps employees of the companies that are moving for no other reason than to move. How would you like to be that employee that has been with CH2M for 20 years and lives on the east side of Spartanburg in Pierce Acres? Your commute just went from 20 mins to an hour plus.

• Like 2

The thing is though that none of these places wanted to be here, they all wanted to move for one reason or another. I know for a fact that the bid to keep CH2M Hill here was out of the park fantastic, but they didn't want to be here. I say good riddance & a polite F##k Y**!

Spartanburg is going to succeed regardless and I really think its going to be on the back of the continuing education center we are building here (VCOM, The George, SCC, etc.). Like everyone else I would welcome any white collar jobs that want to come here and perhaps we can lure some middle size companies, but it chaps me and I'm sure it chaps employees of the companies that are moving for no other reason than to move. How would you like to be that employee that has been with CH2M for 20 years and lives on the east side of Spartanburg in Pierce Acres? Your commute just went from 20 mins to an hour plus.

Precisely what I had heard from my friend, there were local area managers in CH2M HILL's Spartanburg office (who lived in Greenville by the way) who had been pushing for this for a long time. The company has had bad financial problems (layoffs, forced retirements) for a couple years now, so he was a little surprised they went through with it.  I know he's looking elsewhere, as are others who live in Spartanburg. Their promise to hire 50 plus in Greenville when they move is laughable, they'll probably have to hire 50 just to replace those who didn't want the commute and moved on.

• 3 weeks later...

That makes two companies that have historic ties to Spartanburg that decided to leave in the same year. I definitely believe that Spartanburg did everything it could to keep those companies, but we all know why any company wants to be in downtown Greenville, and it's NOT because "the upstate is one community." If that were the case then it wouldn't have been a big deal for 14 people to dive to Spartanburg every day.

I hope Spartanburg will use this to stoke the fire to get things done. Making downtown the best place it can be (and investing in parks, greenways, and schools) is the only way Spartanburg can compete with Greenville for corporate jobs.

• Like 1

I am not that big of a fan of David Britt but he was right when he said "We want companies that want to be here".

Like Spartan I believe Spartanburg did all they could to keep them, but those that get to drive to Greenville everyday can enjoy the rush in the morning. I have to figure at some point there will be a tipping point where it is just to expensive to relocate to or stay in Greenville.

I AM a big fan of David Britt.  For someone who is not a native of Spartanburg, he cares deeply about our community.  He is also responsive when a citizen needs help.  Twice in the last ten years I have contacted him for assistance and he has IMMEDIATELY responded and taken action.

That said, I am certain he means it when he said that everything possible was done to retain P-M. 

• 3 weeks later...

An unnamed (for now) Italian adhesives company will invest $66 million to build a plant on Hwy 290 near Toray, creating 150 jobs.

I wonder what the effect will be once all these companies on 290 start production in the next few years.  More residential?  More retail and/or restaurants?  I would think that the addition of 500-1000 workers in the area would cause some ripple effects on development.  Hopefully downtown can benefit too, at least in some way.