Baton Rouge Single Family Developments

dan326

The Lakes at Stone Gate to the left and to the right is the Preserve at Hunters Lake.

sfd1st1.jpg

SpringBrook

sfd2mm3.jpg

Shadowbrook Lakes

sfd3tt5.jpg

Lexington Estates

sfd4js6.jpg

Sedona Pines

sfd5vw5.jpg

Jefferson Retreat

sfd6da9.jpg

I don't know the names of these. This is the Jones Creek/Tiger Bend area. I think Richy knows though. :)

sfd7tc7.jpg

Edited by dan326

I am glad you have started this thread. Baton Rouge needs more single family options in all parts of the parish, especially in the $200,000 to $300,000 range. Central and Zachary are going to see a lot of growth. Since 2000, there have been a lot of houses come up in the southeast portion of the parish along Hoo Too Shoe road, Jefferson, Airline, and near Woodlawn. There is big new subdivisions on Bluebonnet and more planned out there near Lexington estates.

I'd like to see a large Broadmoor sized development soon. The kind with 5,000 homes that takes 10 years to build out.....those are cool. Baton Rouge is too spread out for that now, and there simply isn't very much vacant land available. Either way, these newer subdivisions need to interconnect with surrounding neighborhoods if possible.

Baton Rouge houses look awefully plain for not having many national homebuilders in town. I'd like to see more southern/acadian style homes with more than one floor.

Anything with a 30' wide lot just doesn't appeal to me...I'd rather a condo or duplex. I also dont' like when you see nothing but garage doors when you walk up the street. Some subdivisions where every house not only looks the same, but IS the same, tend to age quicker and end up getting blighted faster.

Edited by cajun

I need some help with these developments. The only one I recognize is The Lakes at Stone Gate and the Preserve at Hunters Lake.
  • The The Lakes at Stone Gate and the Preserve at Hunters Lake are the dark blue blocks
  • The red block is SpringBrook
  • The black line is Sedona Pines
  • The pink block is Shadowbrook Lakes
  • The purple block is Lexington Estates
  • The green block is Jefferson Retreat
  • The teal are neighborhoods on Jones Creek

sfd8ym6.jpg

Great work once again Dan! Very nice thread idea!

The subdivision down off Jones Creek is Greentrails(old Shenandoah C.C.) with rows of two story houses with open balconies and great architecture! And off Tiger Bend is Forest Creek; very plain houses and no trees at all did the attempt to save.

It's kinda sad Fairwood C.C. could not be saved..where Lakes at Stonegate is being built.

Hope Shadowbrook Lakes has more than one entrance.

Jefferson Retreat sure is hidden inside the neighborhood.

The Bluebonnet extension will get a large "long term project" called Longwood Village that will have 1,650 new homes on 520 acres; construction might start by the end of the year.

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

Developer buys Tiger Bend land for development

A 23.6-acre tract on Tiger Bend Road has been sold for $1.4 million. Audubon Square Partners, made up of developers Jay Noland and Scott Bardwell, bought the land near Antioch Road in a deal that closed Monday. Plans are to build Audubon Square, an 82-lot subdivision on the site.

• 2 months later...

New development planned for Hoo Shoo Too Road

Mallard Park, a 90-lot upscale community being developed by Kevin Nguyen, is planned for the Hoo Shoo Too Road area. The first phase of the subdivision is expected to be completed by fall 2008. Each lot will have a minimum size of 100-by-200. Plans for the subdivision include several lakes and a jogging trail. This is the first major upscale development in this part of southeast Baton Rouge since White Oak and Mallard Lakes. Nguyen previously built Oak Alley Estates and Keystone of Galvez in Ascension Parish. Mallard Park is being marketed by Richie Edmonds of Thornton, Harvison, and Rhodes Real Estate.

Construction of a gated upscale development called The Landing at Mallard Lakes will begin in spring of next year, says Rick Vinyard, vice president of Group Development. Vinyard says the 24-lot development on Hoo Shoo Too Road will be the first in East Baton Rouge Parish with a private boat launch on a navigable waterway. Homeowners will be able to launch a boat into Bayou Manchac and quickly reach the Amite River. Lot sizes average three-fourths of an acre, and nearly half of the 39-acre tract will be common area and offer walking trails. Mike Dalrymple of Dunaway Realty is the listing agent.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Some suburban news on a slow Monday here at Urb Planet; this was mentioned several months ago during the Fall; looks like finally starting

Subdivision under way at Tiger Bend/Antioch

Developer Scott Bardwell said Monday that construction has begun on the Audubon Square subdivision on Tiger Bend Road near Antioch Road.

Bardwell said the 82-lot planned community is scheduled to open in August. Amenities include rear alleys, tree-lined streets, front porches and a large central green space.

plandscapeplankn6.jpg

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/17355819.html

At least they are throwing in some green space.

....pretty much everything going up in BR seems to be really cookie cutter.

We need some green space already. Atlanta has the right idea with most of their single family residential developments....if they are not going to be interconnected the least they can do is provide really good quality. It seems like everytime a new subdivision comes out the first thing they do is clear cut the whole thing. The lack of mature trees combined with narrow lots and the fact that every house has virtually the same floor plan really makes these single family houses age way to fast.

I'd pay a premium for a lot that backs up to a preserve with mature trees that I knew wasn't going to be developed. I'd also pay more to back up to a lake or if my lot has mature trees on it.

I'd rather rent then settle for a 35'x100' lot. I'd like mine to be at least 50' wide with at least 8' setbacks on each side. I could care less about sidewalks on subdivision streets so long as it's curb and gutter.

Really people....35' wide lots: Build a two story home if land is that sparce. Maybe people buying these up should consider townhomes.

In any case, this is where the bulk of the new residents will show up on the 2010 census, so I hope they keep building them and build them right. We haven't had that much condo and apartment construction outside of LSU.

Edited by cajun

"Stonegate, Audubon Square work under way

Construction has started on two South Baton Rouge subdivisions: the Lakes at Stonegate and Audubon Square. The Lakes at Stonegate is a 212-lot subdivision off Old Hammond Highway just west of Flannery Road that is being built on the site of Fairwood Country Club. Homes in the subdivision will sell for between $189,000 and $245,000. Level Construction, headed by Todd Waguespack and Kelly Sills, is building the project.

Audubon Square is an 82-lot development on Tiger Bend Road near Antioch Lane. Lots are selling in the low $70,000 range, with homes costing between $300,000 and $450,000. Scott Bardwell and Jay Noland of Bardwell Development are heading up the project. Work should be completed by August."

KB Homes started Lakes at Stonegate awhile back; building their 7 pre-fab "no brick" homes(one incomplete) before bolting BR. Glad to see someone will finally finish part of the old Fairwood CC. Hate to see it's another single-entranced subdivision.

Now someone needs to finish Springbrook down the road; KB left that subdivision only 1/2 complete <_<

82 lots on just 23 acres?? Aububon Square will be compact?? They need a little greenspace. Sidewalks are a must for me in my neighborhood! Bardwell has done some nice developments; if it's anything like Provedence it will be nice.

GreenTrails did a nice job with greenspace and the houses/lot sizes, nice development at old Shenandoah CC; but just across the road Forest Creek looks like a joke, they completely stripped all the trees inside and just left a thin ring around it. Some forest...and the houses are boring little tight boxes.

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

"Lakeside Estates on the market in Livingston

A new subdivision is on the market on La. Hwy. 63 in Livingston Parish. Lakeside Estates features 223 residential lots and 13 commercial spots. Calvin Blount, one of the developers, says homes in Lakeside Estates will sell for between $139,000 and $179,000. Blount says he got the idea to develop the subdivision after he noticed how a nearby RV park was nearly full every weekend. "There are 80 to 100 people living full time in the Lakeside RV park," he says. Blount built 10 spec houses behind the park and they sold quickly. The properties in Lakeside Estates have been on the market for about two weeks; so far 11 lots have been sold. McLin and Associates, a local engineering and surveying firm, has purchased one of the commercial lots. Blount is hoping to bring in more office/warehouses as tenants, along with a day care center."

• 3 years later...

Here's a neighborhood I found to go on Hoo Shoo Too Lane.

Mallard Park

Mallard Park is a 90 acre upscale residential development near the Hoo Shoo Too Road area. The private cluster subdivision will include two large lakes and an extensive jogging trail system, and amenities unrivaled in the Baton Rouge area. Each lot will border a common area or park filled with luscious landscaping and hardscapes. The development will include six square cul-de-sacs and an impressive round-a-bout, which will be accented with decorative pavers.

mallard-park.jpg

*See post #8

Edited by dan326

• 2 months later...

Hmmm... square cul-de-sacs..hopefully they fare better than these...where the cul-de-sacs have become a dumping ground...In 2008 the 81-lot Lakes of Magnolia Trace subdivision off O'neal Lane(south)began; with roads/sidewalks/electrical & sewage put in place/street lights...however 3 years no houses have been built & 4-foot tall grass/weeds hide sidewalks. The main road winds around & down in elevation near Jones Creek

Subdivision Plans "Fizzled Out"

http://theadvocate.com/news/424941-64/subdivision-plans-fizzled-out.html

Haha, the guy was to cheap to put up a gate and sign. Oh well, I'm sure someone will come along and develop this into more reasonably priced homes.

I hope so, when I read this I was beginning to think it was dead. Hopefully somebody else will buy it and build on it......

Edited by steve3n8

So leaving it as blighted property is BETTER?

Why are you afraid of more single family dwellings? Do you hate single family homes? Where do you suggest families live?

Your assumptions are funny.

So because I oppose more single family dwellings I therefore support blighted property? Your logic is very sound!

I think I've made my opinions very clear on this forum on how and where I think families should live, as you have too. No sense in me beating a dead horse trying to get that point across to you.

• Like 1

Your assumptions are funny.

So because I oppose more single family dwellings I therefore support blighted property? Your logic is very sound!

I think I've made my opinions very clear on this forum on how and where I think families should live, as you have too. No sense in me beating a dead horse trying to get that point across to you.

You asked a open ended question. All I did was ask you a question in regards to it. No need for you to be rude.

• 5 months later...