New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

I live on Wealthy, and drive the stretch everyday it seems like every abandoned or fortified building is being renovated it's awesome.  Id be willing to put money on it that in a couple years every storefront between Madison and Fuller that hasn't been renovated yet will be.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Next Thursday January 14, Rachel Lee, aka GRGridGirl, who started this thread many years ago, will be giving a presentation at the monthly meeting of the Grand Rapids Historical Society called East Hills: Past, Present, and Future.  It should be interesting.  

Here’s a link giving details:

EAST HILLS HISTORY

Note, because the Ford Museum is closed this year, the historical society is now meeting at Aquinas College.  Directions are in the link.  The meeting is open and free to all. 

Sure wish GRGridGirl still posted here on Urbanplanet.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I've just noticed that the longtime stained-glass shop at the corner of Lake drive,Diamond,and Cherry must be closing up as there is a sign from "north star reality" in the window of the building. This is one of the largest commercial spaces in the district, so it will be interesting to see what lands there.

They moved to a new location. I am also interested to see what moves in, since I work right across the street.

2 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

This place has been prime since is had the exterior renovated.  Is both the upper and lower available?

http://northstarcommercial.catylist.com/listing/LSWhDTkXVMI/975-Cherry-St-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

Honestly, I cant really tell from the listing. But I'm guessing when they list "Suit A" as the available space, they must just be talking about the first floor.

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

It says 1200 square feet is available of the 5292 sf total for the whole building. 

I'm guessing that it's just the west side of the main floor.  The east side is finished but the west side was the shop.  That seems to fit the amount of space available. I know they had been talking about moving the shop out for a while as it's now a much better spot for retail. The just leased out half of the upstairs in late spring last year (when my wife moved her company to her new space) so I'm pretty sure that's not part of it.

48 minutes ago, x99 said:

I have never liked the first floor treatment of that building.  If they can get $20 a foot for it... more power to 'em.  I definitely wouldn't call it "prime" space.  Hopefully that $20 includes an enormous build out allowance to install some plate glass.   

Funny, the first thing my wife said was...gotta add retail windows first.  Agreed!

I would hope Pristine Glass would have a hook up with windows.  =)

1 minute ago, mgreven said:

I would hope Pristine Glass would have a hook up with windows.  =)

Doubt it.  Never seen a stained glass retail window. :)  They'll need them though.  This is $10 or $12 space without them--if they can even rent it--in my completely unqualified opinion.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2016 at 10:22 AM, walker said:

Well, you can cross this one off the development list:

developer abandons plan

That seemed to be the most contentious development in Grand Rapids history, as far as I can tell. Letters and feedback on this numbered in the hundreds. Strange that it was so controversial in Eastown of all places. 

21 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That seemed to be the most contentious development in Grand Rapids history, as far as I can tell. Letters and feedback on this numbered in the hundreds. Strange that it was so controversial in Eastown of all places. 

Initially when it was first released, it was not obvious that it was co-housing. I think it spooked some of the neighbors.

Then, some loud voices spoke up and the co-housing element was made more clear and those voices got louder.

I think the biggest issue is that it is more closely surrounded by established residential, the other developments seem more isolated.

The oddest thing I saw was people saying they "didn't want strangers in their neighborhood."

Then wouldn't all rental properties be an issue?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, WMrapids said:

Well it looks like they didn't put an arch but have dinky lights there instead. Also, I took a picture from further away to show the scale of Thomas Aquinas. I wonder if quite a bit of tuition money went for that big old guy.

image.jpeg

The view from across fulton is interesting.

• 1 month later...