New projects in East Hills

GRGridGirl

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

New in the hood:

West side of Diamond, south of Fulton, where Pepperberry used to be. I had noticed something going on, but today is the first I've seen a sign up for Patina Antiques and they are open for business.

http://grandrapidscity.com/eyellowdir/deta...tina%20Antiques

Should be a nice addition to Blue Door, East Fulton Antiques, etc. One more reason to come into town to live/shop/eat/educate.

My family and I ate brunch today at the Cherie in and I was thinking what a great treasure it is in our city. I moved to GR in 1981 and have been eating there since about my first weekend in town. In the very tempermental market of restaurants it is so great to have a place that is consistently good. I have never had less than a very fine meal there and the service has always been superb. It's one of the best places to read a paper, drink a coffee, eat a good meal and visit with friends or families. So here's to the Cherie in, an anchor in the Easthills area!

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I ate brunch today at the Cherie in and I was thinking what a great treasure it is in our city. I moved to GR in 1981 and have been eating there since about my first weekend in town. In the very tempermental market of restaurants it is so great to have a place that is consistently good. I have never had less than a very fine meal there and the service has always been superb. It's one of the best places to read a paper, drink a coffee, eat a good meal and visit with friends or families. So here's to the Cherie in, an anchor in the Easthills area!

Here here! or is it Hear Hear!

Thursday night is the annual Holiday Hop in East Hills and on Wealthy Street SE. It's the best time to experience urban holiday shopping.

2088745961_afb5777748.jpg

Hey, same deal on east Fulton. It was great! Almost every store was open (there's a lot of vintage holiday merch that just appeared in the former upholstery place, and it was all plugged in and lit up).

Last week I hooked up with the Salvation Army band at the tree-lighting, and found that they were going caroling at this event. They invited me to join them. Walked down my street about 6 pm wondering how far I would have to chase them...and they were at the home store across from the laundramat. We had a good time. (I might offer lessons: how to layer technical fabrics.) At the jeweler's we played Chestnuts Roasting and one of the employees came out and sang! The Spanish place made us come in and eat tacos.

We got on the trolley by the yoga place, rode to the farmer's market, played a few more at the antique store; they returned to their place and I wandered back home.

Green Life: packed. The vintage clothing store: packed. Amaryllis: packed. Homestore: likewise. Any retailer with the lights on and the door unlocked was doing a land-office business. I am guessing there were 500 people wandering around. Many places had free food samples (some had beverages), and some added their own indoor performers (keyboardist, violinist, singing carolers). Saw PRCH headed for a sample table. There was even a hot dog cart!

Next time you notice a mention of such an event, get your boots on and c'mon down!

Edited by Veloise

Bloom's old space at 962 Cherry SE has been leased.

Making Thyme Kitchen will open next month and will offer a retail component to their business soon after.

I'm telling you, vacant spaces don't last long in East Hills!

That's amazing how quick that space was filled! Sounds like the East Hills would be a good place to develop some new retail space since it seems the demand is there.

Seems like you have to sell a lot of clothes to cover $2k/mo in rent.. Thought I know nothing of retail clothing sales, maybe that's nothing. ...

For ease in dividing, assume 20 sales days per month. That's only $100/day average. (Of course, there are additional costs, but selling a couple sweaters and a necklace every day would pretty well cover it.)

For ease in dividing, assume 20 sales days per month. That's only $100/day average. (Of course, there are additional costs, but selling a couple sweaters and a necklace every day would pretty well cover it.)

You dismiss those 'additional costs' pretty quickly. You also assume 100% profit. They had to buy those sweaters somewhere.

Bloom's old space at 962 Cherry SE has been leased.

Making Thyme Kitchen will open next month and will offer a retail component to their business soon after.

I'm telling you, vacant spaces don't last long in East Hills!

Was that the place that wanted to move into 1006 Cherry (the old "spider House") a few years ago?

Was that the place that wanted to move into 1006 Cherry (the old "spider House") a few years ago?

I remember there being discussion on urbanplanet about something like that, it went before some sort of commission I remember and then we never heard anything...

[EDIT]: found it: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/1006-100...;hl=1006+cherry it was something called Lets Dish!

Edited by twoshort

No picking fights Veloise, he has a point. It's not as simple as $100 x 20.

The rent is probably a small part of the operating costs though. The area seems pretty ripe, and I'm sure they've run the numbers more than we have.

Joe

Perhaps you are in the wrong line of work? "Thought I know nothing of retail clothing sales,..."

[15 years of retail sales in the not-distant past]