I-26 Green River Bridge

cowboy_wilhelm

Does anyone know where I can find or begin looking for blueprints or plans of the I-26 Peter Guice Memorial Bridge over Green River in Henderson County? I'm working on making a model in Google SketchUp so I can upload it to Google Earth. I found some measurements on the NCDOT website (Green River Bridge), but not enough to make it entirely to scale.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try looking for old postcards. I seem to remember seeing one in an antique store years ago. There are some online collections out there that might have an image or two. Be careful when searching for "Peter Guice Memorial" I think that it was renamed recently... As I recall it was just called "the Green River Bridge". It was on a postcard because it was one of the tallest bridges around when it was built.

EDIT: Of course in looking at your link I realize that you've got plenty of images, and as you mentioned no scale.

• 2 weeks later...
Try looking for old postcards. I seem to remember seeing one in an antique store years ago. There are some online collections out there that might have an image or two. Be careful when searching for "Peter Guice Memorial" I think that it was renamed recently... As I recall it was just called "the Green River Bridge". It was on a postcard because it was one of the tallest bridges around when it was built.

EDIT: Of course in looking at your link I realize that you've got plenty of images, and as you mentioned no scale.

• 4 months later...

You could always try asking the author Thomas Rain Crowe. He lives up in Tuckaseegee in Jackson County and wrote a book a while back called "Zoro's Field". It was about spending 4 years in a cabin w/o any influence from the outside world and living off the land. The land belonged to the Guice family. He may be able to tell you or at least point you in the right direction.

Archived