Macon Mall

cyclingundertheson

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Victoria's Secret and G +G Have closed......the water features in the center of the mall have been removed and tiled over.the tile is nice but does not match the rest,hopefully the plan on redoing the rest of the malls floors to match the newer tile.the Ruby Tuesday and chic-fil-a space have been gutted and made another sitting area.the burbon street griill is moving to the downstairts food court.most of the kiosk have been removed.the MS Jewelery kiosk has carved out a store space in part of the old Atlanta Bread Company.Gold Buyers is going in the old YO-YO'S space.........Rue 21 and Finshline are going in the space between Underground Station and the old Ann Taylor Loft.while Kids Foot Locker is moving into the space next to Bath and Body Works.

No. Victoria's Secret and A.E. are both not listed on the malls website.

Well, I guess that could make sense - both have stores at River Crossing, so it's not like they'd be leaving the Macon market entirely. I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble to pack up and move to the other end of the mall.

• 1 month later...

Mall owners say the inside mall renovations should start April 1.Will change skylights,lights,carpet the mall,paint and redo the whole inside.Hope to start tearing down the west part of the mall in june.said the last of the stores should be out within the next two months.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

saw a couple of renderings to what the mall will look like after the remodel.not sure I like it. looks like they are putting in dropped ceilings and all new lights.all the walls will be straight up no architecutal detail.also looks like they are putting basses at the bottom of all the support poles.

Please share the renderings if you possibly can. I called Hull Story Gibson to give them some ideas about Macon Mall and the guy in Augusta said, "We have it under control", and then hung the phone up on me!!! :angry:

they are posted inside the mall in a couple of places.its a colored CGI type of renerdings.one in the food court area and one in the center of the mall.

• 2 weeks later...

I just do not get Hull Storey Gibson. The fountains in center court, and the waterfalls around the stairwells were dismantled and shut down because to HSB, they impede on foot traffic. What foot traffic?, and even if so, they still could be designed in a way that does not impede on foot traffic.

I have been drawing and drafting since I was 12 and I know that water can be a calming, and soothing element. So many renovated malls today have been stripped bare of water and plants and they look so naked and bare. HSG is no exception. If Macon Mall is going to be thier so called "Flagship" property, you would think they would want to make the place a showcase. But too much damage has been done. They DO NOT want any community feedback as they announced they did when they had the big press conference announcing thier purchase of Macon Mall. I guess I will just have to make the Shoppes my new shopping home when I come down to Macon to visit my brother, who just happens to live right behind the shoppes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't think it's very difficult at all to predict the future for the Macon Mall. It's only a matter of time before Macy's and JCPenney relocate to North Macon. One will go first, and then the other will soon follow. Also, most likely after the departure of Macy's and/or JCP, Belk will close its mall store and redirect shoppers to its River Crossing store. The mall will then sputter on for a while, trying to survive on short-lived local shops and Sears as the lone anchor. Hull Storey Gibson will continue to act as if the future is bright, while their mismanagement only makes things worse. They will probably end up putting the mall up for sale. Sears will eventually close, and the interior shops will leave over time, and then suddenly we've got another Regency Mall.

It's a pretty bleak picture, but the mall has so much working against it that I don't see any improvement happening in the long term. The economy will need to skyrocket to a booming recovery, that area of Macon will suddenly need to rise up from the sad state it finds itself in, and enclosed malls, as a design, will have to make a comeback. Eventually there will be some kind of redevelopment of the site, but it will be a very long time before any such development would include major retail. I would love to be wrong, of course, but like I said, I can't see much of a chance of a good future for the mall.

My brother who live right behind The Shoppes, was driving by Macon Mall and he got a picture of the Parisian and some of the mall being demolished. He told me that the circular road that goes all the way around the mall is open again, and he will try to drive down or I sould say around the road and take severl photos that I will then post in the Macon Mall thread. I am about to try to copy that picture in my email and post it here on UP. I am not the computer savvy type, so I hope I have success, so here goes:

Well I have the new Yahoo Mail and it is not working, but I WILL get it posted, Sorry :dunno:

well here's my two cents.Pennys has had a plan to open another store in North Macon for a few years.they wont close the macon store.Macys will leave but will go south to a new developement in the Kathleen area along with Dillards will anchor this fictional new developement aong with Barnes and Noble,Dicks and maybe Belks.macon mall will have Sears,Pennys and Belks for the forseeable future.

I can definitely see Macy's going to a development in the Kathleen area, but wouldn't they also want to jump on the North Macon bandwagon? And I guess it's possible that JCPenney and Belk could stay open at the mall; along with Sears, they can still do good enough business in that part of town. I'm just not too hopeful about the long-term outlook for the mall, because of the many factors working against it.

If a new development opened up in Houston County, wouldn't it be more likely to see it along I-75 somewhere, in order to better draw traffic from Macon and other places? Maybe at 75's interchange with GA 96...

well Macys is opening a store at the summit Henry county so i think it would be to close to north macon.I could be wrong but the I-75 -96 interchange is considered Kathleen.with its rapid growth and high income it will be larger than North Macon within 10 yrs.

Archived