Park Avenue

skirby

I agree... This most recent decision is stupid on multiple levels. I went by the McDonald's today just for the heck of it and access is a royal pain. Chick-Fil-A already backs up traffic into Markham all the time, and that's an incredibly busy (and a little dangerous due to the angles and grades) intersection to begin with. Tearing down a 5 story building to put in another high traffic one-story restaurant makes no sense to me whatsoever. I don't understand how it's financially smart to replace a building that size with a little restaurant, I don't understand how that location will be able to make accessible, and I don't understand why Chipolte didn't go into Park Avenue instead if they were dying for a location in that area. I imagine they are paying a lot for that corner and the demolition of that building, and I can't imagine that it would have been more expensive to go in Park Avenue. I hate that building a lot, but this just doesn't make sense to me at all. 

I primarily hate the loss of "scale" on that corner, even though the building was not spectacular in any way.  As much as I like density, there was no way on God's green earth that a building of that size, even remodeling THAT building would come close to meeting parking requirements.  And I agree, I can't imagine how that was more cost effective than the available out-parcels at Park Avenue.

All that being said, the inflow of high-profile, arguably upscale investments in this more historical part of town is a huge deal to the city...they are going to make it work, no doubt.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All that being said, the inflow of high-profile, arguably upscale investments in this more historical part of town is a huge deal to the city...they are going to make it work, no doubt.

Are you saying that fast food restaurants are upscale investments?

I agree, the loss of scale by the demolition of a 5-story building and replacement by a one-story fast food restaurant is a loss.  I looked at the building fairly closely yesterday.  While the building is not that attractive, is there no way that building could be remodeled and Chipotle go in the ground-floor level?  

Are you saying that fast food restaurants are upscale investments?

Ha!  True...I guess "upscale" isn't the right word.  I guess I meant "trendy" new investments in a mature part of town.  Chipotle is not Morton's steakhouse, but it isn't Burger King either.

I personally believe the building needs to go, but Chipotle would not be an ideal replacement.  I had a good look at the building this week and it is really awful, especially with the intersection eating up any green space in front of the building.  Another example of poor city planning...

I personally believe the building needs to go, but Chipotle would not be an ideal replacement.  I had a good look at the building this week and it is really awful, especially with the intersection eating up any green space in front of the building.  Another example of poor city planning...

What's the example of poor city planning, the original building or the approval for Chipotle?

What's the example of poor city planning, the original building or the approval for Chipotle?

Both! lol

Look at Tulsa...  Most of its growth occurred in the 60s and 70s and yet their roads are very large.  You would think that city planners would have thought that possibly Markham and University would need to be enlarged one day...

Both! lol

Look at Tulsa...  Most of its growth occurred in the 60s and 70s and yet their roads are very large.  You would think that city planners would have thought that possibly Markham and University would need to be enlarged one day...

I don't think any criticism of that intersection involves the size or scale of the roadway (it's just been widened to six lanes north-south).  In fact, I like the "urban" density/street edge that the current building provides.  What doesn't work now is the size of the lot in light of new (some would say egregious) parking requirements.

I don't think any criticism of that intersection involves the size or scale of the roadway (it's just been widened to six lanes north-south).  In fact, I like the "urban" density/street edge that the current building provides.  What doesn't work now is the size of the lot in light of new (some would say egregious) parking requirements.

The only way I can see making a real building there really work any more is to do it downtown style with a garage underneath whatever you're building. It could look good- you could dig down a bit for the parking garage and have the actual building start at the level of the street instead of seeming hidden/dug in like the Baker building does right now. You could probably get an easy 2 stories of parking, maybe 3, that way and still have the building look about street level in respect to Markham and that high part of University. That would be costly though, and can't happen anyway since we're popping a Chipotle up there anyway, but it was just a nice thought. 

Not quite Park Avenue, but close to is... Walgreen's has submitted a permit for a location at 500 S University, which is the location of the Doctor's Building tower and their parking garage goes all the way up to the street edge. Anyone know where they're putting the Walgreens?

There is a USA Drug Express on the first floor of the building. That would be a Walgreens now, so I would think the permit has to do with remodeling of that space. 

There is a USA Drug Express on the first floor of the building. That would be a Walgreens now, so I would think the permit has to do with remodeling of that space. 

Ah, that makes more sense. I was pretty confused about where they could possibly be putting a Walgreens on that property. 

It's modestly encouraging to see Walgreens retain this location. There's not really a Walgreens that isn't a standalone site near here, let alone be a part of a higher-density urban complex. But there is the Duane Reade store model common throughout the NYC metro area that may be adapted for something like this location.

It's modestly encouraging to see Walgreens retain this location. There's not really a Walgreens that isn't a standalone site near here, let alone be a part of a higher-density urban complex. But there is the Duane Reade store model common throughout the NYC metro area that may be adapted for something like this location.

There's a Walgreen's not 2 miles east on Markham from there.

• 1 month later...

After eating at Cheddar's one time I think a key to their success is large portions. The food is no better than Applebees/Red Lobster/ Olive Garden. 

I would beg to differ...and I'm pretty discriminating with food.  I think it's well above average.  The salsa, meaty cheese dip, salads, and even the salmon I've had were very good. I would never compare this to Applebees.  The fact that it has done so well is telling.

I would beg to differ...and I'm pretty discriminating with food.  I think it's well above average.  The salsa, meaty cheese dip, salads, and even the salmon I've had were very good. I would never compare this to Applebees.  The fact that it has done so well is telling.

You know that's why there are so many different restaurants. Some like chain food others prefer local establishments. Count me in the latter group. 

You know that's why there are so many different restaurants. Some like chain food others prefer local establishments. Count me in the latter group. 

I also prefer the local establishments, but that doesn't make all chain restaurants equal.  I would venture to guess most would critique Cheddar's as being on the better side of the list.  I certainly do...

Archived