Park Avenue

skirby

According to Arkansas Business, Simon paid 3 million to Strode to get out of the the remaining 20 year lease. Article also mentions the purchase of adjoining property. I'm guessing that would be the Bennigan's site.

I read the additional property was a convenience store. This would have to be the old Shell Station at Markham and S. McKinley.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a very informative, front-page article in todays Arkansas Democrat Gazette on Park Avenue. The developer (Strode) is interviewed extenstively and gives an insight into the behind the scenes negotiating, the continually evolving plans for the site and the impact of the overlay district.

The most interesting item mentioned (to me) - and one I had actually pondered - is that the parking deck structure will remain and it will be ringed (hidden behind) the development - only the mall structure proper and outparcels will be demolished.

There is a very informative, front-page article in todays Arkansas Democrat Gazette on Park Avenue. The developer (Strode) is interviewed extenstively and gives an insight into the behind the scenes negotiating, the continually evolving plans for the site and the impact of the overlay district.

The most interesting item mentioned (to me) - and one I had actually pondered - is that the parking deck structure will remain and it will be ringed (hidden behind) the development - only the mall structure proper and outparcels will be demolished.

I was wondering if he would keep the parking decks. It sounds very encouraging, he plans on mixing retail and residential together and wrapping around the decks and hiding them. Actually the whole way he presented this in the article makes it sound like exactly what most of us have wanted and I'm quite happy with what sounds like a flood of calls from potential tenants.

I never thought we could pull off the two-story Target, that was always a stretch.

Strode said that he's received hundreds of calls from brokers, contractors and potential tenants (instead of him usually calling them). Good sign!

We'll see how they negotiate the 1 story Target based upon all the previously discussed Midtown expectations/restrictions.

Strode said that he's received hundreds of calls from brokers, contractors and potential tenants (instead of him usually calling them). Good sign!

We'll see how they negotiate the 1 story Target based upon all the previously discussed Midtown expectations/restrictions.

If Target is going to be a part of Park Avenue the committee is going to have to give up on having a two story Target. Target officials and Strode both have said that it will be one story.

One thing that was said in the article was that Midtowne was going to get two new restaurants. I wonder which ones will locate there?

I missed that story in the ADG. Details anyone?

So what would everyone like to see? Personaly, i would like to see it be some-what classy.........on par with Park Plaza And Midtowne, 1 or 2 5-12 Story condo towers would be really nice because that area has been lossing population for a while plus its always cool to see tall buildings. A movie theater, a target or better yet a macys would also be nice. I really hope its has stores that we dont have. A urban outfitters, H&M, and Borders would be awsome. more diversity would be great.

I really think this will end up being just what University needed. This will only end up drawing more poeple from around the state to Little Rock/Midtown. If dont correctly, University will end up being the premire shopping district in Little Rock and Central Ark.

I missed that story in the ADG. Details anyone?

So what would everyone like to see? Personaly, i would like to see it be some-what classy.........on par with Park Plaza And Midtowne, 1 or 2 5-12 Story condo towers would be really nice because that area has been lossing population for a while plus its always cool to see tall buildings. A movie theater, a target or better yet a macys would also be nice. I really hope its has stores that we dont have. A urban outfitters, H&M, and Borders would be awsome. more diversity would be great.

I really think this will end up being just what University needed. This will only end up drawing more poeple from around the state to Little Rock/Midtown. If dont correctly, University will end up being the premire shopping district in Little Rock and Central Ark.

I don't have the article anymore, but I do concur with some of your suggested retailers - especially the Borders.

I wasn't aware that that part of town is losing population. What makes you say that?

Well, that was just what i have been hearing.........or read on here or some where like that. i dont know if it is true or false. i do know alot of people that have been moving out of that area south of markham.

The demographic description below is a sub-area of what most of us are probably considering when whe think of the local demographics for Park Avenue.

Around 1999, I did demographic analysis of the 72205 Zip Code in 2000 using 1980 Census, 1990 Census, 1996 Census estimates. The 72205 Zip Code includes much of the demographic area described and extends East to Stiff Station Area, where I grew up. My population projections, for the 72205 Zip Code, based on existing trends in 1999ish showed a double digit decline (I think it was 11 to 13 percent.) into the 2000s. This follows what most of us have observed for the area, an aging population in the area. Also, there is a significant impact caused by the western migration of the City with the many new Chenal subdivisions throughout the 90s and early 00s.

demographic description

The area described begins at the northwest corner of Markham and University (Park Plaza) and extends west to Grassy Flat Creek (western border of Leawood) and north to Cantrell.

Total population of the study area peaked with the 1970 Census, at 9293 people. In 1990, there was some rebound from that in 1980. The east half (Hall High area) peaked in 1970 with 5794 people and has experienced drops of 780 and 590 people, each of the succeeding Census

• 3 weeks later...

Public transportation, in the short term, doesn't seem that it will decline. New CAT bus shelters have been installed at the midtown bus lineup site, situated between the old University Mall site and Doctors Hospital. Four lines — three bound for west Little Rock, one for UALR and Mabelvale — sync up there. A fifth, which services most of University Avenue between Kavanaugh and Asher/Colonel Glenn, also continues to make a regular stop there six days a week.

Also, the West Markham and Baptist Medical Center lines, which run in tandem and meet at both the downtown bus station and the midtown lineup, increased frequency during peak weekday hours this year. The West Markham line, however, is handicapped a bit due to construction projects at UAMS and St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center.

The demographic description below is a sub-area of what most of us are probably considering when whe think of the local demographics for Park Avenue.

Around 1999, I did demographic analysis of the 72205 Zip Code in 2000 using 1980 Census, 1990 Census, 1996 Census estimates. The 72205 Zip Code includes much of the demographic area described and extends East to Stiff Station Area, where I grew up. My population projections, for the 72205 Zip Code, based on existing trends in 1999ish showed a double digit decline (I think it was 11 to 13 percent.) into the 2000s. This follows what most of us have observed for the area, an aging population in the area. Also, there is a significant impact caused by the western migration of the City with the many new Chenal subdivisions throughout the 90s and early 00s.

demographic description

The area described begins at the northwest corner of Markham and University (Park Plaza) and extends west to Grassy Flat Creek (western border of Leawood) and north to Cantrell.

Total population of the study area peaked with the 1970 Census, at 9293 people. In 1990, there was some rebound from that in 1980. The east half (Hall High area) peaked in 1970 with 5794 people and has experienced drops of 780 and 590 people, each of the succeeding Census

While Summit House would potentially be the highest profile impact if converted to condos, many smaller apartment complexes north of Markham and east of Midtowne Little Rock could come into play as well. Linden Court, which is just down Pierce Street, very nearly IS the midtown condo market all by itself at the moment. The former Markham Manor apartments, down Markham near Rodney Parham, recently went condo with 2BR units around $90K. Anything else is farther up near Cantrell.

• 3 weeks later...

Park Avenue property is enclosed by chain link fence. University Avenue in front of the property is undergoing its widening. And across University, the steel for the St. Vincent expansion is nearing completion. This all makes for a dramatic Midtown makeover.

Strode doesn't mess around when he gets moving. That was fast.

Yesterday, I noticed a banner on the fence that says, "Shop. Play. Live. Opening Fall 2009."

Cool. Not that the banner is definitive, but "Play" is interesting. Movie theater? Cool restaurants? It doesn't include "Work", but again its likely to include office use, which is still good for ensuring a nice mix of use.

Cool. Not that the banner is definitive, but "Play" is interesting. Movie theater? Cool restaurants? It doesn't include "Work", but again its likely to include office use, which is still good for ensuring a nice mix of use.

Now I'm wondering if I remembered it correctly. I'm sticking with "play" until the next drive-by. The banner is at the corner of University and E. Capitol Ave. (according to google maps anyway). It is St. Vincent Dr. on the east side of University.

Now I'm wondering if I remembered it correctly. I'm sticking with "play" until the next drive-by. The banner is at the corner of University and E. Capitol Ave. (according to google maps anyway). It is St. Vincent Dr. on the east side of University.

I confirmed, "play."

The banner says, "Shop. Live. Play. Opening Fall 2009"

Now, we can all have a Happy Thanksgiving. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today about retail development in Little Rock. One thing mentioned was the possibility that a hotel would be added to Park Avenue.

The article also stated that Park Avenue was receiving some interest from big name national chains, but declined to name them. I don't doubt Strode and the retailers they can pull in after what they brought to Midtowne.

The article also stated that Park Avenue was receiving some interest from big name national chains, but declined to name them. I don't doubt Strode and the retailers they can pull in after what they brought to Midtowne.

I've read that there will likely be a hotel on the property. It would be nice if he could bring in a signature hotel not in the market, like Marriott or Westin.

Archived