large mixed use development planned for downtown

TLT

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a new picture and article on the Gateway project. The Wilmington Planning Commission has approved the project plans as long as they make proposed street improvements and any other street improvements planners and council recommend. The planning board loves the green space and conservation efforts put into the project.

The tallest building is a proposed 14 floors.

If the link does not take you directly to the article, click the "local" news tab, then the "rezone" article listed below.

This is just what I wanted for Wilmington. A new CDB with modern buildings with the older CDB and all of its history left intact. How cool would that look in 10 years if the new side of downtown kpet growing with urban infill in between. Keep it up Wilmington you just might get the respect you deserve.

This is just what I wanted for Wilmington. A new CDB with modern buildings with the older CDB and all of its history left intact. How cool would that look in 10 years if the new side of downtown kpet growing with urban infill in between. Keep it up Wilmington you just might get the respect you deserve.

I like the east, west and south views but the north from the project is not that sexy. There needs to something in that area to please the eye. Which view is best to guys. I like the one of the east. The church steeples and the old CDB really sets the mood for me. If timing were right I would live there. Since I have friends in Wilmington and my family lives close by in Clinton and Fayetteville. Who knows I might get a job at GE down that way in the distant future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A vote by city council on the Gateway Project was delayed until March 3rd. The Residents of Old Wilmington protested the size of the project and the traffic the project would generate. The developer was told to have at least one more public meeting and try to address the neighbors concerns, and resubmit any modifications by the March meeting.

IMO the project would make a much more attractive neighbor than the trashy empty field beside the oil depot located there now.

• 3 weeks later...

I drive that route to work every day. They need to do some serious repaving projects in that area if they expect to build something that large. That section of south Front (between Castle & Carolina Beach Rd) is, according to the city, the worst stretch of road in the city limits.

This seems like a square peg in a round hole. That stretch of road carries probably 95% (a guess) of those big container trucks coming from the port, and it is adjacent to two different fuel depots. Not to mention that each of those big gasoline trucks must stop at each railroad crossing (there are two), which slows existing traffic to a crawl. In order for this project to end up like the pretty concept picture the architects have drawn, there needs to:

a. Be an alternate route for those port trucks (not gonna happen)

and

b. Not be two fuel depots next door (not gonna happen)

Archived