SREE Springhill Suites Hotel and Center City Green

uptownliving

This is WAY better than what I was expecting. If this moves forward it's a good sign that Charlotte's economy is still rather strong. My favorite feature is the Farmer's Market. That's been on my wish-list for downtown for some time. Having it right off the LRT is a great way to ensure it's success.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the "O" ...

"Over the years, city leaders have visited public markets in Seattle and Philadelphia, and Dewberry said Spectrum's goal is to pattern its market after those well-known facilities.

The market would operate from about 10,000 square feet of indoor space, but would include outdoor space for fresh-food pavilions during the spring and summer months. "

10,000 sq ft for a Farmers Market ??? Pleeeease.. Check out Philly's Reading Terminal Market...

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/philadelphia...inal_market.htm

Now THIS is a Downtown/Uptown Market!!!

I like the idea of more parking but do we really need more condos at this time?

If it is true that a 2-bedroom unit is $280k then I would say yes, we need more condos at this time. That would be an amazing price and would certainly be affordable to anyone in middle America. If I worked downtown or somewhere in close proximity I would beg my wife to sell for a unit in this place considering the price. I'm certain that they will have no trouble selling the units if the prices are correct.

If it is true that a 2-bedroom unit is $280k then I would say yes, we need more condos at this time. That would be an amazing price and would certainly be affordable to anyone in middle America. If I worked downtown or somewhere in close proximity I would beg my wife to sell for a unit in this place considering the price. I'm certain that they will have no trouble selling the units if the prices are correct.

This could be our first look at market-corrected pricing too.

This is the parking deck to support their 32 story office tower, as the one on that block was built for BofA Corporate Center. 1300 spaces doesn't seem like they are serving that new office space with a large amount of parking. There is a trade off between starving parking to spur transit use, and creating a large deficit of parking which raises rates and reduces the likelihood of new projects and jobs to go downtown in the first place. If they are adding parking a lower rate than normal, then I'd think we are fine for that.

It seems that the condos are more or less just an addition to help make this project more palatable to the city. I am very glad they are doing them as LEED certified, which seems like a rarity for condos.

I have a feeling that this will be a parking-shopping destination like 7th Street Station, with that retail being helped a lot by the prospect of free evening parking. I think the idea of a farmers market is very good, and quite in keeping with the city's plans for Brevard, although this happens to fall on N Brevard rather than S Brevard, which the city hoped would be revitalized first.

It is very possible that if this project is executed well, that North Brevard could see more momentum in the next few years than South Brevard. A new LRT station is expected to open in the next 5 years at 9th St. UNCC will be building their building soon. Levine seems to be slightly further along in getting the county to build a park. This project helps shift contiguous development further along toward the First Ward neighborhood.

It is hard to be sure from the image, but it seems like it does have a breezeway between the deck (I'm imagining the deck as rectangular and the condo as the triangular part that fills in the 'chop'). That would be the place that the city could opt to run the SouthEast corridor when/if they eventually build LRT.

Overall, I like the effect of having blocks filled up with midrises. I agree with atlrvr that it would be good if they built in the capability to add a tower, but for now, the city will be helped a lot more by spreading out and filling most of the current surface lots with 8-15 story projects. It preserves more sunlight, it avoids more costly engineering, and it helps spread out the density throughout downtown.

I wonder what the 6th St. side looks like? Hopefully there is a retail bay and access to the farmers market there....Imaginon really give 6th street the shaft on this block, so its up to this project to save it from becoming a permenant dead-block.

I took a peak at the EpiCentre/210 Trade web cam and just realized how busy of a construction site those couple of blocks will be with this new development. Between this, EpiCentre/210 Trade and BofA Office Towner/Ritz-Carlton there will be a lot going on over the next couple of years. TWCA will be enclosed nicely on that side of town.

The farmer's market element is a key addition to that area. It's the kind of thing that can create synergy between multiple destinations -- perhaps a family attending an event at Imaginon will stop by the market to browse while waiting for the Lynx to take them to South End for dinner. It's also a great urban shopping option for residents to be able to grab fresh food on the way home.

The farmer's market element is a key addition to that area. It's the kind of thing that can create synergy between multiple destinations -- perhaps a family attending an event at Imaginon will stop by the market to browse while waiting for the Lynx to take them to South End for dinner. It's also a great urban shopping option for residents to be able to grab fresh food on the way home.

We cook at home and shop fresh almost daily. The grocer additional to me is a HUGE welcome to the area. Very excited about this.

I took a peak at the EpiCentre/210 Trade web cam and just realized how busy of a construction site those couple of blocks will be with this new development. Between this, EpiCentre/210 Trade and BofA Office Towner/Ritz-Carlton there will be a lot going on over the next couple of years. TWCA will be enclosed nicely on that side of town.

constructioncluster.jpg

My understanding is that the Superblock project originally included a reclad of that parking deck, but that portion has been delayed for whatever reason. BofA is fully aware of their ugly duckling - I doubt it will take long for that transformation to take place.

I find it interesting that Doug Smith in that article believes that 15,000 people are going to move downtown in the next 4 years. Using their own numbers it has taken 18 years for downtown to score just 6,000 residents. Seems to me they might be over estimating this a bit. Of course we are talking about the Charlotte Observer, a McClatchy newspaper.

When is ground breaking for this supposed to happen?

I am jazzed by this proposal. Authentic public markets do wonders to imbue character and soul into a city. A large scale market patterned on Seattle's or in a similar vein would be awesome. This can spawn streetside artists and music. Nice too that the condos will allegedly be priced for civil servants and others in that bracket to afford. We shall see if it all comes to fruition.... :rofl: ( ok that was not THAT punny but give me a break I had a bad day)

Plus, the fact that Charlotte will have this green market uptown will hopefully radiate throughout to other parts of the city. :)

What's even better is that it is right off of the LYNX. So all of those moving into S. End still will have this as an ammenity at their footsteps. Jump on the line; take a 5 minute ride; grab fresh vegetables, meat, fruit; and jump on the train and bring it back home. It will be there for people all over the line and future extension. This place is going to be hot, serving residents, business workers, and people throughout made possible by light rail. I would not doubt that this will only spark more similar markets.

10,000 sq ft for a Farmers Market ??? Pleeeease.. Check out Philly's Reading Terminal Market...

Yeah the Reading terminal Market is awesome. And from what I understand its used by locals AND tourists, which is quite a feat given its location in the center of Philadelphia- though to their credit, center city Philadelphia is in the top 5 cities for "downtown" population.

This is the parking deck to support their 32 story office tower, as the one on that block was built for BofA Corporate Center. 1300 spaces doesn't seem like they are serving that new office space with a large amount of parking. There is a trade off between starving parking to spur transit use, and creating a large deficit of parking which raises rates and reduces the likelihood of new projects and jobs to go downtown in the first place. If they are adding parking a lower rate than normal, then I'd think we are fine for that.

I have to disagree with this. In order to maximize transit potential, you have to maximize the volume of workers adjacent to the stations. This means NO parking. IMO it should be none within 1/4 mile of transit stations in Center City, period. Now, I realize that with parking standards, SOME parking must be provided, particularly if this is the precursor to a highrise tower. But why does it have to be on the block itself? Why not a block or two away. I know people will walk it, I see them walking to and from far flung surface lots every day.

As for the building itself, those units are going to have to be really tiny to get that price. I'm interested to see what the units go for adjacent to the LRT. And being adjacent to the arena they had better some with some killer sound insulation and some black out curtains.

As for the building itself, those units are going to have to be really tiny to get that price. .....

Maybe, but they probably have no choice. My guess is they want to avoid announcing yeat another downtown condo project in the $300K-$750K range. And if these are also condos of reasonable size, it's going to put a lot of downward price pressure on the more expensive properties. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I thought the 10,000 sqft seemed quite small too. The addition of indoor space would be a definate plus over the current Green Market, but the smallish size would prevent a real "market" feel. Pike Market in Seattle I think is a little ambitious for Charlotte. I had something in mind like the North Market in Columbus, OH or Cleveland's West Side Market.

I had always been a fan of integrating the current Farmer's Market into a combined Farmer's, Ethnic, Foodie, etc Super Market. If the old coliseum project does take off that 14 acres will need to become better utilized. I think it would be the perfect cultural addition to the city as well as serve a utilitarian purpose. This would no doubt be an expensive proposition, but there are sources of funds.

Placing such a project in the 277 loop would most likely be cost prohibitive. I always thought the old Wal-Mart site on Arrowood and South Blvd would be perfect. Light rail access to Center City (although it might be reach for the uptown lunch crowd) as well as good access to Ballantyne/South Park. Also, good access to the Interstates for vendors.

Archived