South Florida Transportation

tombarnes

Chalk's Aviation's Position Said to be Precarious

The future of Chalk's Aviation, a small seaplane operator with operations (at one time) out of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach to the Bahamas, is in grave doubt. The airline suffered a serious accident with one of its Grumann Mallard aircraft in 2005. Since then, it has leased more conventional aircraft from other parties. The airline launched service to Freeport from Palm Beach in April, but this service has not been a success. The airline calls itself the "oldest continuously operating carrier in the US", having begun operations out of Miami in 1917. It would be a sad break with history to see this airline go under, but their prospects don't look good. They haven't even paid their leasing fees at FLL since April. In fact, they haven't flown at all since early September. As the article below notes, they have lost their federal license to fly . Has anyone here used this airline?

The Sun-Sentinel

• 8 months later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United to End Flights at Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach

The announcement today that United Airlines will consolidate its flight operations in South Florida in Miami is not entirely unexpected. From my own perspective, it's been years since I have found a decent fare to South Florida on United. Their discount line, Ted was nixed earlier this year. In truth, I don't like United and won't miss them. It's still an interesting development to note. Spirit Air has cut come of its staff at FLL, but is rolling out flights to Bogota later this summer- this in direct competition with Avianca.

On a separate note, I have heard that Delta may also end its service to Fort Lauderdale in September. Will have to confirm this.

The Sun-Sentinel

• 2 months later...

Zoom Airlines Abruptly Halts Flights

Discounter Zoom Airlines has ceased operations, stranding passengers in its wake. The airline had seasonal service to Bermuda and London's Gatwick Airport from Fort Lauderdale. This is just another of a string of airline shutdowns. I fear that we will be seeing more as time passes. I have never flown with this airline, but the loss of competition cannot be good for the consumer at large.

The Sun-Sentinel

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if any locals could help me out. I'm driving from SC to Key West in a couple of weeks and plan on hoping on the Florida Turnpike @ Jupiter from I-95. So which is the best route to bypass major traffic (I've taken I-95 the whole way down and want to avoid sitting in traffic)?

Should I stay on the turnpike all the way to Homestead or should I take the Sawgrass Exp / I-75 and then get back on the turnpike?

Thanks so much in advance.

I was wondering if any locals could help me out. I'm driving from SC to Key West in a couple of weeks and plan on hoping on the Florida Turnpike @ Jupiter from I-95. So which is the best route to bypass major traffic (I've taken I-95 the whole way down and want to avoid sitting in traffic)?

Should I stay on the turnpike all the way to Homestead or should I take the Sawgrass Exp / I-75 and then get back on the turnpike?

Thanks so much in advance.

Archived