Kendall College expansion into the old Fed Bldg/Post Office

GRDadof3

It looks like Kendall College is still committed to purchasing the old art museum.

Grand Rapids takes on old art museum - GR Press

Don't worry, says Oliver Evans, president of Kendall College of Art and Design. It may take a few months, but his school is eager to acquire the 96-year-old building.

"This is a perfect addition to our campus," said Evans, who said Kendall's 1,175 students need more space for studios, galleries and a yet-to-begin master's degree program in architecture.

It's also interesting to hear that the upper two floors have essentially been vacant and unused for 30 years since the post office moved out. If this Kendall sale goes through, it's amazing how organizations moving about can open up new opportunities to fill vacant spaces with use, that will add to downtown's vibrancy.

(And what is Jendrasiak smoking?)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping for this to happen! This would be a GREAT building for the future Master's Architecture program to start in! I am very anxious for this program to get off the ground so I have the choice between staying in GR or moving to Ann Arbor!

Are you talking about the one Azzar Owns (Red Building 16 Monroe Center)??

Are you talking about the one Azzar Owns (Red Building 16 Monroe Center)??

No, the building that used to house the art museum is now back in the city's hands, and is being pursued by Kendall College to house expanded programs and studio space, as well as a new Masters of Architecture program.

125-927.nE0725.jpg

That would be fantastic. People could then attain one of many medical degrees, a law degree or an architecture degree without leaving Grand Rapids (or by moving TO Grand Rapids).

It looks like Kendall College is still committed to purchasing the old art museum.

Grand Rapids takes on old art museum - GR Press

Don't worry, says Oliver Evans, president of Kendall College of Art and Design. It may take a few months, but his school is eager to acquire the 96-year-old building.

"This is a perfect addition to our campus," said Evans, who said Kendall's 1,175 students need more space for studios, galleries and a yet-to-begin master's degree program in architecture.

It's also interesting to hear that the upper two floors have essentially been vacant and unused for 30 years since the post office moved out. If this Kendall sale goes through, it's amazing how organizations moving about can open up new opportunities to fill vacant spaces with use, that will add to downtown's vibrancy.

(And what is Jendrasiak smoking?)

"In 1981, the city leased it to the Grand Rapids Art Museum for $1 a year. In 2003, city officials signed an agreement that would transfer the building to Kendall/Ferris after the museum moved out. The agreement was never finalized."

Why was the agreement never finalized?

"In 1981, the city leased it to the Grand Rapids Art Museum for $1 a year. In 2003, city officials signed an agreement that would transfer the building to Kendall/Ferris after the museum moved out. The agreement was never finalized."

Why was the agreement never finalized?

Don't know. Maybe it was too difficult to do a proper inspection/assessment of work that would need to be done to bring it up to snuff with all the artwork being stored there. :dontknow: The article mentions that the upper floors sound like they are in rough shape. Just speculating though.

Avocado, it sounds like because the building is a nationally registered historic site, they have certain protocol to follow regarding maintenance (according to the article).

By the looks of this picture one could assume that landscape architecture was not yet a profession!

Not a single bush, tree or anything alive around this building.

Was this picture from the 1940's?

1950 actually. :)

I did the math and the three floors of this building would add about 50,000 square feet of classroom & studio space to downtown (not counting the basement).

By the looks of this picture one could assume that landscape architecture was not yet a profession!

Not a single bush, tree or anything alive around this building.

Was this picture from the 1940's?

It's fairly easy to carbon-date a photo that shows contemporary vehicles (and I don't refer to my preferred flavor). Check out the aero styling, and the massive grille on the one facing west.

ETA: While I was at the City ('04-05), there was discussion about having the street vacated so that the college could have a pedestrian mall between its buildings. Wayne State has done this in several locations near its Detroit campus.

It's fairly easy to carbon-date a photo that shows contemporary vehicles (and I don't refer to my preferred flavor). Check out the aero styling, and the massive grille on the one facing west.

ETA: While I was at the City ('04-05), there was discussion about having the street vacated so that the college could have a pedestrian mall between its buildings. Wayne State has done this in several locations near its Detroit campus.

I don't know cars that well, so the only thing I could guess was that the cars were from somewhere between 1940 - 1960's. :P And when black and white photography was more the norm (1940s to 1960's).

I remember an article recently where Kendall officials said they dropped that idea (I don't think the city was too excited as it is a busy street).

The Masters in Architecture program would be awesome!

Joe

Tormala too!

Why would they need to keep the building heated? Frozen pipes? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to leave the faucets on a little bit?

It's easier on the building to keep the heat on. Imagine an empty building going from freezing cold in the winter to boiling hot in the summer. The building will go to pot much quicker once the heat is turned off.

Increased chances for mold, increased chances for ice damage, etc... As well as any wood work that would swell and shrink as the environment shifts extremes. Granted you don't keep it in the mid-60's during the winter, but you don't let it turn into icebox either.

I remember an article recently where Kendall officials said they dropped that idea (I don't think the city was too excited as it is a busy street).

The Masters in Architecture program would be awesome!

Joe

Maybe they could use some newly minted masters of architecture to design beautiful skywalks between their buildings rather than creating a pedestrian mall between them?

:whistling:

It's easier on the building to keep the heat on. Imagine an empty building going from freezing cold in the winter to boiling hot in the summer. The building will go to pot much quicker once the heat is turned off.

Increased chances for mold, increased chances for ice damage, etc... As well as any wood work that would swell and shrink as the environment shifts extremes. Granted you don't keep it in the mid-60's during the winter, but you don't let it turn into icebox either.

Thanks for the explanation, glad it wasn't just because the security guard didn't want to wear a parka.

Veloise! I never would've guessed you'd be our local auto-phile!

Thanks for the explanation, glad it wasn't just because the security guard didn't want to wear a parka.

Veloise! I never would've guessed you'd be our local auto-phile!

Know thy enemy! My family had one of these:

http://www.dragers.com/pics/dgc3118/1962po...atalina-001.jpg

Except that it was new. And, back in the 60's, when parents would routinely leave their kids in cars, I spent hours sitting in the parking lot of Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak. (Sis born May 1963.)

Evans has been talking about this as a done deal for almost three years now. It's even in the 2004 FSU-GR Master Plan (I've got a copy at my desk). I actually called FSU-GR last spring to ask about renting the facility for my wedding.

I think the city has cause to be upset if they're going to be stuck with a liability because Kendall couldn't find the time to start fundraising. I know all its patrons have probably been busy with the GRAM, Civic, ballet and UICA, but the city shouldn't be expected to sit on the building while Kendall makes up its mind.

I really hope they get a master of arcitecture prgram going soon. Probably wont be soon enough for me, so i guess i'll have to bust my a$$ and get killer grades so i can get into MI in a few years...

Anyway. I think this is an awesome building; what better to study architecture or art in?

Not sure that i care for the plaza idea. Its not that difficult to cross the street. And NO SKYWALKS!

I wonder what they'll do with this parking lot on the Division side? (which isn't really the back, even though you would think so). I always thought it looked terrible with cars parked all willy nilly. It'd be nice to see it landscaped over or turned into a commons or something.

1800564770_cf16f9cb68_b.jpg

They'll need parking for teachers, so I doubt that parking area will go away. Not sure where current Kendall teachers park, but I know at Michigan teachers threw a fit unless they could park right outside

Most of the staff park in the small gated lot on the north side of the school.

Archived