Kendall College expansion into the old Fed Bldg/Post Office

GRDadof3

Last time I saw a concept rendering (2 years ago - august 2009) this was to be an all glass atrium to act as the new main entrance to the building. At that time though, the atrium was centered, was not canted, and stuck up taller than the cornice above the old service docks. Obviously the plans have changed quite a bit.

No telling what it will look like. They're still adding a few more beams, as you can see cutouts in the masonry wall, and they may tie the glass wall up and over the cornice.

6073102027_994a2d3c57_z.jpg

6073642714_fbc44b048a_z.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Sorry, couldn't come up with anything witty enough.

But seriously, I understand why they chose not to plant trees right up next to their building again (root invasion and such), but could we at least have some street trees in the sidewalk?

I don't think that I know anyone at TowerPinkster anymore after their last big layoff, but I would be curious if the landscape budget was cut, or none was ever desired.

Sorry, couldn't come up with anything witty enough.

But seriously, I understand why they chose not to plant trees right up next to their building again (root invasion and such), but could we at least have some street trees in the sidewalk?

I don't think that I know anyone at TowerPinkster anymore after their last big layoff, but I would be curious if the landscape budget was cut, or none was ever desired.

I think she was referring to the two signs so close together. They appear as though they were supposed to face Pearl Street and Ionia Avenue both, but they do look like they were angled a bit incorrectly.

"Signage inspired by Prince and the Revolution's When Doves Cry video."

0.jpg

<_< I hate to be snarky, but the last people who should ever showcase an example of poor design outside their building is the Kendall College of Art and Design.

THANK YOU! I've got urban planners in Dallas saying, "what's the big deal?"

Here are the four corners.

IMG315.jpg

IMG316.jpg

"Hey Jim, do we really need a sign on this corner, after they've driven past the building?"

IMG317.jpg

IMG318.jpg

IMG320.jpg

"You're right, Fred. Let's put two on this corner, and we won't have to worry about someone not being able to read it due to the lightpole."

IMG321.jpg

Caption contest

kendallkendall.jpg

Well now, Ionia IS one way so there's no reason for the signs to face in a northerly direction. In fact, my guess would be that Ionia being a one-way street influenced the rationale behind the placement of these signs. I'm not saying it's a perfect execution, but there you go.

Well now, Ionia IS one way so there's no reason for the signs to face in a northerly direction. In fact, my guess would be that Ionia being a one-way street influenced the rationale behind the placement of these signs. I'm not saying it's a perfect execution, but there you go.

The approach from EB Lyon (which is a two-way street from Monroe) is ignored.

On another forum I mentioned the local sign companies' bull-headed approach. This hardly seems compliant with the intent to "restore this landmark building to its finest hour." It's more like let's plant a grassy lawn underneath the HVAC output vent.

Isn't the intent of the lawn to be a meeting space / sculpture garden?

Also, while I find the dual signage to be a little odd, I hardly think it is a black eye on the overall restoration of this beautiful building. If the worst thing we can say about this building is that two signs look weird, I say bravo to the overall project. ;)

Joe

The approach from EB Lyon (which is a two-way street from Monroe) is ignored.

On another forum I mentioned the local sign companies' bull-headed approach. This hardly seems compliant with the intent to "restore this landmark building to its finest hour." It's more like let's plant a grassy lawn underneath the HVAC output vent.

Sorry, I was looking at the picture of the corner of Ionia and Pearl in the original post. I didn't realize the point was to illustrate the lack of a sign at the unpictured corner of Lyon and Ionia.

Archived