38 Commerce Development

mgreven

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little site plan sketch of the Tall House site with a similar ramp/ring development around it. The Tall House site is just a little shallower than the Commerce site (by 10'), so it might require getting either an easement on the back side to allow for more room, or maybe get an "air easement" on the upper floors to fill them out a little more. A 20' deep condominium makes it a bit challenging to lay out the floorplan.

1983271175_4e499468fc_o.jpg

Maybe I'll send this to George and Mary. Now they would only have to sell about 20 - 25 condos (depending on size) instead of 70, and they could sell the office portion as condo to another developer/broker. And the city gets 300+ more parking spaces right next door to the arena and for Ionia.

• 2 weeks later...

The Grand Rapids City Commission has given it's approval. What is next before they can move on to construction?

"City Commissioners Tuesday gave their blessings to what a developer called "a new, hip concept" that will combines a major new parking ramp with offices, stores and condominiums."

"Developer Andy Winkel says "there's a lot of interest already" in the condos."

"She (Pam Ritsema) told city commissioners the project would "help drive redevelopment of the neighborhood...I'm confident it will be profitable."

The complete article can be read on WZZM.

GR Commission gives support

• 2 weeks later...

The site/surface lot at 47 South Division, that is working with Kelwin Properties on securing an "easement" to have access directly to the parking ramp from their property, is owned by none other than Sam Cummings, according to the Business Journal. I imagine if/when this ramp goes up, we'll see a proposal for this surface lot fronting South Division come forward. This is the surface lot between the old Alma Latina (now becoming the Republic Bar) and Rumor's parking lot.

2105074309_b30556434a_o.jpg

Yes, on the first one, potentially. If they didn't already have something in mind, I can't see them buying an easement to potentially connect the two buildings (probably a future skywalk connection over the service alley). But I wouldn't expect to see anything put forward until shovels are in the ground for the parking ramp.

It will definitely help on the second question. But I believe the parking commission feels there is need for even more parking, even if this and the Gallery at Fulton developments go up, which both include public parking. According to Kelwin Properties, there is about 300,000 square feet of vacant commercial space in that area that is screaming for convenient parking.

It **seems** like the idea of a mixed-use parking ramp is really catching on.

Hopefully the concept will continue to improve and provide even more progressive and sustainable designs.

Given this, I would hope that any future parking ramp to be built in this area would be a mixed use.

If we can assume any new parking structure would include a mixed-use design (retail, apartments, etc.), where in the Heartside area would be the next logical place for a mixed-use parking structure?

And to ask a question about my first question...can we safely assume that the old school and hideous parking structures are a thing of the past?

Hidden parking ramp plan takes big step forward

By Jim Harger

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- An innovative plan to build a parking ramp that will be hidden behind an office and residential "liner building" in the Heartside Historic District took a big step forward Wednesday.

By a 5-0 vote, the city's Historic Preservation Commission gave developer Andy Winkel permission to demolish a crumbling 90-year-old building on the southeast corner of Commerce Avenue SW and Weston Street.

Excellent news!

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope this project goes forward. I think the design is great and I agree with others that say the parking will help with the development of the area. This idea should be a model for other projects downtown. 8 stories will also give a nice sense of density in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived