North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

Why would a "North End Square" web site use a south western perspective of uptown? Details people, this is UP.

This is the true view from northend square. IMHO much better than the one on the website.

post-17104-1203202421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

Why would a "North End Square" web site use a south western perspective of uptown? Details people, this is UP.

I just looked at that website today. They've removed that picture and replaced it with an aerial rendering of the project. It is very cool. see www.northendsquarecondos.com .

The website has alot of information on the area. It also finally has the prices. It has the lowest prices that I've seen since Seigel Point. Do you think that this area is better? There is a lot less foot traffic over here than there is in Belmont.

I'm sitting here wondering if this may be the official beginning to the much needed redevelopment of the North Side cooridor, such as that S. Blvd received with the trolley and later LRT. With the NE Line construction expected to begin in the upcoming few years, and the N Tryon redevelopment projects still in sight, as well as the area around NC Music Factory, this may be the time that we begin to see some major trends of change, or at least I hope.

I'm sitting here wondering if this may be the official beginning to the much needed redevelopment of the North Side cooridor, such as that S. Blvd received with the trolley and later LRT. With the NE Line construction expected to begin in the upcoming few years, and the N Tryon redevelopment projects still in sight, as well as the area around NC Music Factory, this may be the time that we begin to see some major trends of change, or at least I hope.

This project is really close to the NC Musica Factory / Uptown Village. The Greenville Neighorhood / Park separate the two. The website wills this project as the Front End of North End, so I guess this it at least thinks that its the beginning.

With the North End square Development and the Music Factory and Uptown Village developments happening, this corridor is well on its way to something good. I think the real arrival of the area will be if the Rite-aid and buildings across Statesville are redeveloped as was stated is in the works earlier in this thread. It would really open up the area, where currently that right side of Statesville as you go away from Graham is pretty dead and less than attractive(even with all the fledgeling trees the city planted a few years back).

As for foot traffic, there is plenty, but its less than ideal IMO, as the homeless and women's shelters are down Statesville. Around 4-5:30pm everyday its a constant flow of the homeless from 12th street, the 277 bridge and everywhere else in town to get to the shelters. And in the mornings it is the opposite way but similar flow.

Edited by lefty23

Correct me if I am wrong but I understood the NE LRT line to be running not only to the east of Tryon but to the east side of the train yard. How would this new NE line help these communities that we are discussing?

Correct me if I am wrong but I understood the NE LRT line to be running not only to the east of Tryon but to the east side of the train yard. How would this new NE line help these communities that we are discussing?

It going to run accross Statesville Ave. a few 100 yards from the North End Square project and cut accross to North Graham St. near the back side of Druid Hills where the Charlotte Mecklenburg Housing Partnership is doing a lot of work.

It going to run accross Statesville Ave. a few 100 yards from the North End Square project and cut accross to North Graham St. near the back side of Druid Hills where the Charlotte Mecklenburg Housing Partnership is doing a lot of work.

Is that not the North corridor commuter rail line not the Northeast Light Rail? Different projects on different time lines.

Anyone know off hand which is to be constructed first?

No that's not correct in terms of the question asked. The NE LRT does not come anywhere close to this project. The North Commuter Rail Line does go right by this project, but there are no stations planned that would serve this neighborhood. Once the train leaves Gateway Station in downtown, there won't be another station on the line until it reaches Derita.

I had suggested some time ago that the city ought to revisit the North corridor plan and look at putting something more robust on this corridor where there would be stations all along the route between downtown and I-85 and then from there on it would revert back to more of a commuter rail system. However the idea was poo-poo'd because it would cost significantly more than the current plan.

Anyone know off hand which is to be constructed first?
If the North CR line is built, it's expected to be operational around 2011 and 2012. The NE LRT is now scheduled for 2015. As I just mentioned the North CR line will not serve this neighborhood.

No that's not correct in terms of the question asked. The NE LRT does not come anywhere close to this project. The North Commuter Rail Line does go right by this project, but there are no stations planned that would serve this neighborhood. Once the train leaves Gateway Station in downtown, there won't be another station on the line until it reaches Derita.

I had suggested some time ago that the city ought to revisit the North corridor plan and look at putting something more robust on this corridor where there would be stations all along the route between downtown and I-85 and then from there on it would revert back to more of a commuter rail system. However the idea was poo-poo'd because it would cost significantly more than the current plan.If the North CR line is built, it's expected to be operational around 2011 and 2012. The NE LRT is now scheduled for 2015. As I just mentioned the North CR line will not serve this neighborhood.

I am not very abreast of the planned stops other than Derita so I will take your word for it. Thanks.

The NE Line will not run near this, I was just speaking in general senses about the north side of Charlotte. The rail yards is a major physical and psychological barrier right now that splits NoDa from a very run down area. The NE Line will likely bring changes and redevelopment within at least a half mile from the rail line, which covers a great deal east of N Tryon. Other projects and redevelopment that have been hinted or at this point announced are helping to redevelop what is west of N. Tryon and the rail yards currently, which as you know run directly next to N. Tryon in this particular area. I'm wondering how much the current projects that are proposed, which are 200k dollar + units taking over what is rather run down, poor, high crime area, and jump kick redevelopment of the North Side of Charlotte, and wonder if it will follow a similar path as what S. End did.

The NE Line will not run near this, I was just speaking in general senses about the north side of Charlotte. The rail yards is a major physical and psychological barrier right now that splits NoDa from a very run down area. The NE Line will likely bring changes and redevelopment within at least a half mile from the rail line, which covers a great deal east of N Tryon. Other projects and redevelopment that have been hinted or at this point announced are helping to redevelop what is west of N. Tryon and the rail yards currently, which as you know run directly next to N. Tryon in this particular area. I'm wondering how much the current projects that are proposed, which are 200k dollar + units taking over what is rather run down, poor, high crime area, and jump kick redevelopment of the North Side of Charlotte, and wonder if it will follow a similar path as what S. End did.

Southend proper is a relatively narrow corridor that has the rail as a major influence as well as Dilworth (established) on one side and Wilmore (chaning and gentrifying) on the other side. Those two residential neighborhoods give solid borders to the prime development parts of Southend so the projects going on are filling it in quickly. The new development patterns likely for Southend will be North - South primarily.

Northend has a lot more potential sites with so many industrial and vacant tracts. Add up the Rite-Aid site and Hercules (i hope whatever goes there KEEPS that name!) and you have just under 60 acres. With the other larger tracts in the area you have huge potential for large scale development. I see this area as much more like what is going on just beyond Wesley Heights with the Bryant Park Development, Radiator Specialty, and the other industrial tracts turning to mixed uses along Morehead, Freedom, and Wilkinson. There are quite a few parallels with that area and Northend in terms of demographics, current crime rates, and scale of development.

Edited by Charlotte_native

^Exactly what is "Northend" beyond what this developer has cooked up?

The city is involved in the new name. The buyers and potential buyers of the Rite-Aid and Hercules site are involved. There are a handful of projects that being considered as well. Northend Square is a name for one project, Northend in general is being considered for the corridor. Much like Southend. We have the district of Southend, then we have Silos Southend, Chelsea Southend, Southend Square, Village of Southend, etc.

The Developer, in this case, did not cook up anything, he just appears to be the first one to use it. I guess he didn't cook, just took the first serving of the stew... :)

I'm all for branding or naming an area if it doesn't already have one. Much like the threads on here about Queen Park area -- there is no real known name for that particular part of South Blvd where there isn't an established neighborhood or name. Giving it a name helps people identify the place, especially if it is a new place they aren't familiar with. Also makes it easier than saying: 'I live in that mid area between Sedgefield, Dilworth, Remount Road, and Scaleybark along South Boulevard'. Far easier to say: 'I live in Queen Park'. Again, I think renaming an area is a bit goofy, like Seigle Point for Piedmont Courts, or SoDa for a random area on North Davidson Street, but this area really has no identifying name and isn't really part of Greenville or other surrounding neighborhoods.

There are neighborhoods on all sides of this corridor, but right now the commercial, vacant, and industrial sites along Statesville and Graham are sort of in an indentified 'zone'. Hence the desire for a name. There are large swaths of acreage that will likely have many other projects that will add to the development in the area.

Projects that the various stakeholders in this market consider to be part of 'NorthEnd':

NorthEnd Square

City View Terrace

Hercules

Rite-Aid

Double Oaks redevelopment (finished)

North Carolina Music Factory (reaching on this one to me, but just conveying)

The Park at Oaklawn

There are more, they just aren't very far along and nothing solid regarding them.

Edited by Charlotte_native

The city is involved in the new name. The buyers and potential buyers of the Rite-Aid and Hercules site are involved. There are a handful of projects that being considered as well. Northend Square is a name for one project, Northend in general is being considered for the corridor. Much like Southend. We have the district of Southend, then we have Silos Southend, Chelsea Southend, Southend Square, Village of Southend, etc.

The Developer, in this case, did not cook up anything, he just appears to be the first one to use it. I guess he didn't cook, just took the first serving of the stew... :)

I'm all for branding or naming an area if it doesn't already have one. Much like the threads on here about Queen Park area -- there is no real known name for that particular part of South Blvd where there isn't an established neighborhood or name. Giving it a name helps people identify the place, especially if it is a new place they aren't familiar with. Also makes it easier than saying: 'I live in that mid area between Sedgefield, Dilworth, Remount Road, and Scaleybark along South Boulevard'. Far easier to say: 'I live in Queen Park'. Again, I think renaming an area is a bit goofy, like Seigle Point for Piedmont Courts, or SoDa for a random area on North Davidson Street, but this area really has no identifying name and isn't really part of Greenville or other surrounding neighborhoods.

There are neighborhoods on all sides of this corridor, but right now the commercial, vacant, and industrial sites along Statesville and Graham are sort of in an indentified 'zone'. Hence the desire for a name. There are large swaths of acreage that will likely have many other projects that will add to the development in the area.

Projects that the various stakeholders in this market consider to be part of 'NorthEnd':

NorthEnd Square

City View Terrace

Hercules

Rite-Aid

Double Oaks redevelopment (finished)

North Carolina Music Factory (reaching on this one to me, but just conveying)

The Park at Oaklawn

There are more, they just aren't very far along and nothing solid regarding them.

Would be cool if they called the area just "Hercules". Like "The Tenderloin" in San Fran.

Correction to my post above -- the Double Oaks redevelopment is in the planning stages and is set to start sometime this year. It includes 98 acres of all types of development, residential, commercial, a park, multi-family, etc, bounded by I-77, LaSalle Street, and Stateville Ave.

The correct, completed project, is The Park at Oaklawn which is in the same general vicinity, was completed in 2005 as a partnership between the Charlotte Housing Authority and Crosland as a tax credit development. 32 acres, 332 residential units, mixed income, seniors housing, and affordable housing.

^Given they have already cooked up another nonsensical trendy name "North End" I don't know. It sounds more like a developer that found some relatively cheap land, wants to throw up a cheaply built condo project just so he can make his bucks as fast as possible. I don't see anything about this project to like and if it was located, say in the University area, it would be derided by most here as another cookie cutter mess. It's bland, boring and typical Charlotte.

Aside from that, the powers to be have decided this area will only be served by buses and cars for the forseeable future and it is too far away from downtown to benefit from it's proximity. It could go either way.

Although I do also question the name of this project and potential name of this corridor, I do believe that this product is the perfect opportunity for the "suburbanite" who has never experienced living in or near the center city, but has heard all the great things and wants to experience living in an urban setting, the opportunity to experience an urban lifestyle; while at the same time purchasing a product (1400+ sf condos or 1800+ sf townhomes) at the same price per square foot they are use to paying in "suburbia". Charlotte's center city is evolving and has only began to offer a "real" urban lifestyle over the past 5 years. This project gives people options in housing types at the urban core of the city.

Saussy Burbank is the builder for the residentail portion of this project. They have a great track record and from what I have seen from them they build good residential single family homes and townhomes(e.i. Garden District Row on 8th Street). Any project that aims to bring life back to a abandoned and run-down corridor can't be viewed as a cookie cutter project.

Saussy Burbank is the builder for the residentail portion of this project. They have a great track record and from what I have seen from them they build good residential single family homes and townhomes(e.i. Garden District Row on 8th Street). Any project that aims to bring life back to a abandoned and run-down corridor can't be viewed as a cookie cutter project.

Is Saussy Burbank building parts of the Northend Sq.? IMO That would be great, I like their style, I know not everyone does. I know they built the Park at Oaklawn single family homes that are already completed. The name I heard of involved with NorthEnd was Drakeford, not sure though.

But I agree this offers a great option for people to live very close to downtown and not pay the prices of downtown.

Is Saussy Burbank building parts of the Northend Sq.? IMO That would be great, I like their style, I know not everyone does. I know they built the Park at Oaklawn single family homes that are already completed. The name I heard of involved with NorthEnd was Drakeford, not sure though.

But I agree this offers a great option for people to live very close to downtown and not pay the prices of downtown.

Saussy Burbank is the builder and The Drakeford Company is the developer. The architectural style is different from what Saussy Burbank is known for. It has a lot of brick and a more urban look. I like Saussy Burbank as well.

Ok I am clear now, thanks...that's great Saussy is involved in this area again. It will be good to have it a little different from their typical style, being so close to the more typical Park at Oaklawn homes they built, although I like the 'Edward Scissorhands' look of the single family homes over there, funky colors.

I just got an invite to the Launch event for the North End for Thursday Mar 6th. They are calling it 'Charlotte's Newest Ring Neighborhood'. Interesting

• 4 months later...

Correction to my post above -- the Double Oaks redevelopment is in the planning stages and is set to start sometime this year. It includes 98 acres of all types of development, residential, commercial, a park, multi-family, etc, bounded by I-77, LaSalle Street, and Stateville Ave.

The correct, completed project, is The Park at Oaklawn which is in the same general vicinity, was completed in 2005 as a partnership between the Charlotte Housing Authority and Crosland as a tax credit development. 32 acres, 332 residential units, mixed income, seniors housing, and affordable housing.

The Double Oaks project got final approval from the City Council at last week's meeting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Charlotte Fire Department is about to build a new headquarters at the intersection of Statesville/Graham/Dalton. Should provide a bit of a boost for the area, if for no other reason than getting a substantial vacant building out of the way.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/08/09/story7.html?b=1281326400^3758691