North End Projects - Camp NorthEnd, Lockwood, Greenville, Double Oaks

dubone

Wait, you think that North Tryon at Liddell has the building stock that just needs some creative class people to convert into a thriving  alternative neighborhood?  

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.235261,-80.831927,3a,75y,7.65h,72.06t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suIwB6RyxH5ynJoPfoAAkDA!2e0

Umm, going to have to disagree with you there.  

I do agree with the city that the only hope of a business corridor is the section that the $10m project is supporting between Dalton and Matheson (really between 23rd and 28th).  It has some old mills, as well as some older brick warehouses that have decent setback distances and could look aesthetically pleasing with a good paint job and removing the cinderblocks from the old large window openings.  

So with this area getting cleaner rebuilt one-way pairs with wider sidewalks, planting strips and bike lanes, it could start to form.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.24364,-80.821827,3a,75y,214.16h,93.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sig-EhRE0_xfcqlQ6ggl1mg!2e0

That is especially if it is supported by some private redevelopment on the Mt Vernon land, and some pedestrian bridge crossing to the 28th Street BLE station.   

Keeping the Amtrak station there COULD work in theory, but only if they did a really high quality plan like we discussed once before, following the European model, like a large encapsulated bridge over the rail yard with escalators down to different tracks with the Red Line and Blue lines all connecting.   A lot would need to come together for it, and again it would need to be something that benefits the city at large and not just because some consultants are trying to fix some blighted hoods or replicate South End's success north of uptown.  

I don't know what kind of shape that building is in, but I can see it. But I think I'd be thinking very small, and you'd be thinking very big. Apples and oranges, my friend!

Edit: for clarification, I was talking about the two story brick storefront behind you in this street view (1024Tryon)

Edited by New Name

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that Mount Vernon has acquired and bundled 46 acres of land in the area and they seem to be wanting to participate in the North End concept.  In fact, with 46 areas of land with building stock that no one would miss, it is significant opportunity to go in and build modern mixed use buildings with some reserved affordable units.  That could single-handedly correct many social issues in the district, following the footsteps of Double Oaks, First Ward and others.  

Could be the old plans, but came across this:  (My favorite is the idea of a mile long "central park")

http://mountvernonam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/The-North-End-Board-Book.pdf

The area plans seem to want to call it, New Camp Station, which on Odell's website (http://www.odell.com/portfolio/category/multi-family/) has some interesting designs.   

379736f8a854caef1640203625c2e894.jpg

c248d340e447217878f4acfce6e6e6a5.jpg

c6766f99ababdcdc1e8b2eb2ef211f82.jpg

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1

Could be the old plans, but came across this:  (My favorite is the idea of a mile long "central park")

http://mountvernonam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/The-North-End-Board-Book.pdf

The area plans seem to want to call it, New Camp Station, which on Odell's website (http://www.odell.com/portfolio/category/multi-family/) has some interesting designs.   

379736f8a854caef1640203625c2e894.jpg

c248d340e447217878f4acfce6e6e6a5.jpg

c6766f99ababdcdc1e8b2eb2ef211f82.jpg

I think we possibly discussed this mile long park years ago on this forum somewhere. Ideally all of the train lines north of uptown would either be removed or buried underground and a park put on that land. it is one of those pie in the sky dreams. It could become a reality, but would take decades unfortunataly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love the new life in this forum and for the NorthEnd idea.  

I'm sure there is more than just a little risk and question about some of this stuff becoming a reality, but with the amount of buying developers are already doing, the rate with which investors are buying up housing stock in the area and the current success in Brightwalk sales, it appears some of this is already happening and the city plan may just keep it moving.  

The area had this types of positive momentum in 2008 too, but the economy halted most of the progress and I think it is just coming back around. This is the only area this close to Trade and Tryon that can still be bought and developed, so its going to happen, just a question of if it happens according to the city's plan or some other evolution. 

Queens Park would change everything I know about Charlotte.  It is a fantasy at this point, but frankly could become the most defining characteristic of the city.  I would FULLY support an initiative that would involve putting this park into action and honestly put it as a priority at the same level as the BLE.  The catalyst of development this would create would be immense and game changing for the northern portion of uptown.  Who do I need to yell at to start making this a conversation?

• Like 3

The huge Rite-Aid distribution warehouse on Statesville across from Oaklawn (its the old WWII bomb factory) will close down by 2016 as Rite Aid consolidates several southeastern distribution facilities into a larger facility either in the Charlotte area, or northern Georgia.

Either way, this massive factory/warehouse will be vacant very soon, so it's a good opportunity to redevelop, or possibly repurpose the space.  Mount Vernon Asset Managment already owns the site, and they are the largest land-owner and member on the North End vision plans discussed above.

^ EDIT - I was wrong on ownership.  MVAM owns the Herculeus Industrial Park next door, which is the more attractive complex.  Rite-Aid still owns their warehouse, but I assume MVAM would be intersted in purchasing it since it's 38+ acres adjacent to their Hurculeus site.  That could be a serious development!

The huge Rite-Aid distribution warehouse on Statesville across from Oaklawn (its the old WWII bomb factory) will close down by 2016 as Rite Aid consolidates several southeastern distribution facilities into a larger facility either in the Charlotte area, or northern Georgia.

Either way, this massive factory/warehouse will be vacant very soon, so it's a good opportunity to redevelop, or possibly repurpose the space.  Mount Vernon Asset Managment already owns the site, and they are the largest land-owner and member on the North End vision plans discussed above.

^ EDIT - I was wrong on ownership.  MVAM owns the Herculeus Industrial Park next door, which is the more attractive complex.  Rite-Aid still owns their warehouse, but I assume MVAM would be intersted in purchasing it since it's 38+ acres adjacent to their Hurculeus site.  That could be a serious development!

Love to hear it, that whole side of Statesville has been rumored to be destined for high rises for a long time. I'll take any sort of redevelopment in place of those buildings.   

pretty sure the house has to actually sell, near asking price, to be considered 'progress'.

Otherwise, it's just a speculative real estate investment for whoever currently holding the note.

Any potential buyers here?
You can't flip it, you must live there..

no contractor, Just showing the area in the last year has been gaining momentum with two properties under contract at 380k and 249K. Things are really starting to look up... The house is new construction on a lot that has been vacant for over 4 years. 

Edited by Jack Wrangler

The relator in the article had 4 listings in the neighborhood. 2 are under contract and she has two more. I believe she probably reached out to the CO to get more eyes on the area. I don't like how they put in the article that prostitution is in the neighborhood, that is not a fact. Im sure its possible, but its not in plain sight. Ive lived in the neighborhood 4 years and I'm excited by the progress. 

• 1 month later...

Just heard the other day (second hand, take it for what it's worth) that the last tenant (one of the many pallet companies) in the blue Hercules building on the left side of Graham going north has to be out by Friday. They said the owner changed their plan for it. Instead of tearing it down for new apartments, they're going to renovate the existing structure for apartments. Can't say that I'm too attached to this particular building so I wasn't disappointed when they were planning on tearing it down. The only buildings I would like for them to spare is the original Ford (1667 Statesville Rd currently building #2 of Rite Aid) and the pump house with accompanying water tower. I would just hope they reuse some of the brick and large diameter lumber from these buildings for whatever new developement to give it character and a nod toward the sites substantial influence in our history.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

So I've been reading this whole thread all the way back to 2007. I recently moved to Lockwood almost a year ago and I have to say... it is not gentrifying. I understand the history here and though it was once wayyyy worse off than it is today, it still has leaps and bounds to go. As a homeowner I must say that yes gentrification has pros and cons however, with the crime the way it is and the homes in the state their in... most new homeowners moving here are looking for ways to improve the neighborhood.

Our problem is that we are about 80% rentals and 20% homeowners and those that are renting pay extremely low in rent and most have absentee landlords. Thus resulting in the neighborhood looking scummy and as though people do not care for what they have. Its depressing. Another issue we have is that there are people living here that claim they help the neighborhood and want increase homeowners etc. but own 10+ rental homes in the neighborhood. Odd right? I am all for the revitalization on Graham and Tryon to take hold and pray to god that it does. My fear though is that by the time that happens.... all these homes will be rentals. Can anyone speak to their past experiences in these transitioning neighborhood with the issue of rental/homeowner and the mind shift of those that have lived here/rent here etc. that needs to happen. I'm not talking about the seniors either because most of them want to see the neighborhood thrive again like it once did back in the 50's and 60's before drugs, prostitution etc. took place.

These things are still happening here as they do in any transitioning neighborhood but my question is... will any of these companies, landlords/slumlords sell off these homes as the taxes increase? With the new annex taxes just north of 277 we know its coming but I am just trying to get my mind around the truth of what is happening.

There are builders and contractors out there that have been bidding on homes in the neighborhood and people that live here have outbid them to stop transition! Then, they rent the house! Its infuriating.. and this is why we have mixed messages and a divided neighborhood. I was sad to read that people think Lockwood is 'gentrifying'. Truly, I've seen people personally try to stop this from happening... but then will attend neighborhood meetings and say that they're for change and homeowners. Its crap!

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this stuff?! We want Lockwood to still be a diverse neighborhood but want renovations to take place, homeownership and pride to increase, and to thrive like the other transitioning neighborhoods!