Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Is there any way/where to look at the daily ridership stats? Or is that a press release item only? I'd like to look at yesterday's to see if it dropped off after everyone tried it or got better with the weather.

Only thing I have seen is where CATS publishes monthly ridership stats and the LYNX will be part of that as a line item. I would not expect anything till the end of next month.

I am noticing that special events uptown are a major feeder for this line. I have rode the line about 6 times, and the 2 trips that stick out the most are: 1. Being on a train with 90% people in Panthers outfits and 2. Being on a train full of Hannah Montana obsessed children. It is really cool that people are looking at this as a viable alternative to the parking situation uptown. I think it will become even more popular as our wonderful surface lots slowly disappear.

So far, from reading the comments on here, the thing that sticks out most is the relative lack of ticket vending machines, and the seemingly confusing nature of the ones in service. There should be at least 2 machines on each side of the track at each station, and at least 3 on each side at 485, and 3-4 at Trade/CTC. I've read 2 comments about people missing trains due to their being a line at the single machine.....this is the fastest way for people to become disgruntled, and stop using it, especially with the long lead-times between each train....

Also, since you can cross the tracks at several stations, this is also a huge safety issue in my opinion. If you see a train coming, and there is a line at the machine on your side of the track, there would be the impulse to cross to the opposite side to use that machine and then cross back....given how quite the trains are, I could potentially see someone failing to look both directions before they cross.

Also, from my experience, ticket vending machines malfunction quite regularly, so the single machine going down is going to piss a lot of people off since most don't want to risk getting a citation.

As far as the "next train countdown", they have that on the silver-line in Boston and it's never accurate. Again, with the relatively infrequent level of train service, it would be nice, but its more frustrating than anything when they're not accurate. Most lines alert you that a train is approaching when the train leaves the previous station.

CATS does need to fix the glitch that doesn't specifiy which train is coming. Again, to use Boston as an example, the announcement would be, "Attention Blue Line passengers; The next train to 7th St. (or I-485) is now approaching the station"

Edit. By the way Mobuchu, amazing pictures. The 2nd pic of the Trade/CTC station is now my wallpaper at work.

I've read 2 comments about people missing trains due to their being a line at the single machine.....

Here's a 3rd. Happened to me this morning as a lady fussed with the machine trying to get 3 tickets for her and two children. They missed the train and so did I.

Then the machine kept spitting out my dollar coin when I used it. So I moved to the other vendor to purchase my ticket.

I'm a pretty patient person, but I can imagine someone with a short fuse getting disgusted. Next month I'm going to use the monthly pass to just bypass the ticket machines entirely.

Edited by MZT

As far as the "next train countdown", they have that on the silver-line in Boston and it's never accurate. Again, with the relatively infrequent level of train service, it would be nice, but its more frustrating than anything when they're not accurate. Most lines alert you that a train is approaching when the train leaves the previous station.

DC's Metro seems to always be perfectly lined up with the wait times. I don't recall seeing countdowns in Boston, but I've been out of the hub for a few years now.

What's the story with transit-oriented development around LYNX stations? Is a lot of the land around the stations already under contract by developers? I know here in the Triangle investors laid claim to a lot of space surrounding proposed transit stops. Unfortunately the trains are still on hold.

Yeah, for the most part, DC's electronic boards are very accurate about arrival times. There are times, mostly during off-peak hours, when the boards are unreliable, but rarely. Also, DC Metro now has electronic boards at the entrance of the Metro stations so people can know when the next train is coming before entering the station.

• Like 1

And you lived to tell? Sounds like a horror movie, being trapped in a train full of Hannah Montana fans.

The worst part is when we arrived at the Scaleybark station, the conductor announced "There will be a slight delay as we move a train onto another track." That turned into 10 minutes of pure torment. "I hope we don't miss Hannah!!! Ahhh!!!!!"

Is there any way/where to look at the daily ridership stats? Or is that a press release item only? I'd like to look at yesterday's to see if it dropped off after everyone tried it or got better with the weather.

I noticed "observers" on the train yesterday counting how many people got on and off at each station. I meant to ask them some questions but they seemed to be having a hard enough time just with the numbers.

It's probably a quick call the the CATS customer service center to get the ridership stats for the last couple of days.

On most light rail systems that I have seen of this type, it is typical to only see 1 or 2 ticket machine/platform. However I do agree it really hurts when they are not working right. I've heard that people have been trying to use the credit card feature even though that part is not turned on yet, and that causes a lot of delays because it apparently causes one's card to get caught in the machine.

Supposedly the trolley only operates on the weekend when there are few light rail vehicles in service anyway, and on the section of the track where LRV speeds have been reduced to be compatible with the trolleys.

I have not seen CATS do anything with the trolleys, other than sporadically wheel them out of the maintenance facility for a year now. There is still some debate (see the old thread) whether CATS will even run them at all. I guess we'll find out for sure after they are comfortable with the scheduling and performance of the LRV's under public operation.

According to CAT's Website the trolley will actually run 7 days a week, during the off-peak times of course, every hour. It's going to be at least 2 months before it begins runnings to get all of the kinks out of the LRT system first.

I'm not so sure I like the CTC/Trade Street Station, and thats mostly because of the canopy. That plastic stuff looks like it belongs at the garden center at walmart. The blue lights look like they came form walmart too. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now it just looks cheap and being the primary hub station you'd think there would be more to it.

What's the story with transit-oriented development around LYNX stations? Is a lot of the land around the stations already under contract by developers? I know here in the Triangle investors laid claim to a lot of space surrounding proposed transit stops. Unfortunately the trains are still on hold.

Its coming. Just be patient :) There are tons of rezonings that have been taking place along the South Blvd corridor.

The main problem is that the TOD we're seeing today isn't really transit oriented development (mixed use, high density). Its condos that are near or next to the rail line. I am hoping this will change though.

I thought that station looked like an aluminum carport early on, but it has grown on me. The form itself is interesting and noticeable, but I agree some of the other aspects seem a little bit on the cheap. Granted, it was mostly on the cheap, since the structure itself must have been very expensive.

For transit-oriented development, just take a look at the SouthEnd, QueenPark, and Scaleybark threads to see all that is planned for those areas. Then add in that uptown is likely doubling its residential population in a part of uptown that is very close to the rail. Then also figure there are miscellaneous projects in the southern half of the line, including that big Harris Vermillion (?) project at Westinghouse.

For ridership, I am expecting it to be averaging just a bit more than the Monday numbers, but still shy of the first year average. It will take some time for people to build up routines or move to an area to help support a rail transit commute.

I do think that the arena will spur a lot of trips, given the number of events and the fact that it drops off right at the door. I know someone who drove to work today, but went home and will take the light rail with a bunch of friends to go to the Stevie Wonder concert tonight. It'll be nice to see the actual numbers, though.

That station grew on me as well...at first it reminded me of something out of War of the Worlds...gave me the willies.

Speaking of things growing on you, I know the orange paint on the bridges was panned big time on here when it first appeard. Looking at it now I think it looks pretty sharp with everything around it finished.

apologies for the regurgitation but WCNC just reported Tuesday ridership of 8,029 in a positive sounding blurb.

As a second data point, my wife rode tonight from East to 7th st at 5 and then a return at 8 pm. She reported standing room only both ways (and a broken ticket machine at East)

Saturday Nov. 24th -64,000 (est.)

Sunday Nov. 25th - 42,000 (est.)

Monday Nov. 26th - 6,691 final official

Tuesday Nov. 27th - 7,450 preliminary

Ridership for the South Corridor light rail line was projected to average 9,100 daily passengers over the first 12 months of operation.

Saturday Nov. 24th -64,000 (est.)

Sunday Nov. 25th - 42,000 (est.)

Monday Nov. 26th - 6,691 final official

Tuesday Nov. 27th - 7,450 preliminary

Ridership for the South Corridor light rail line was projected to average 9,100 daily passengers over the first 12 months of operation.

Six paragraph CATS press release now up with first two days stats, short excerpt below:

"The first two days of LYNX Blue Line ridership started strong with 6,691 commuters using the service on Monday and ridership of 8,029 for Tuesday.

A CMPD Officer actually asked to see my ticket this morning (I entered at Carson, inbound). Has anyone else been asked to produce their ticket yet?

Yes, I had a ticket checker on my train. A very nicely dressed older gentleman with shiny shoes and a freshly pressed uniform. Everyone that I saw produced their ticket without a fuss.