Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Bella fresco cafe opening a second location in the Carillon building. Will be in the old blueprint spot. They're going to have signs on the building and their own door on Poplar. Should be much more visible than blueprint was. Hopefully will be open by end of year 
Ps I have no idea why mobile UP formatted that so weird but it won't let me change it. http://www.charlotteagenda.com/15655/definitive-guide-to-34-uptown-charlotte-development-projects-with-analysis-and-map/
Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

UP will keep the source formatting, and it doesn't always copy & paste well. If you paste in the text as plaintext it should work.

The door on Poplar is key. I went to Blueprint one time, and the food was ok - but I honestly never thought about it because it had no street presence. I've never been to the current Bella Fresco, but hopefully it will do well.

Is there a rendering for this?

not yet

also there Is a new marketing sign for the space on MLK in the Chamber building. Looks like it's spec for the restaurant space downstairs and a bar upstairs. This would be awesome. I hope it happens. The first floor is 1725 SF. The bottom level is 11,352 SF. Jeez this is a huge space. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jayvee

While I know some members here have mixed feelings on 'parklets,' I think these are amazing. The highest and best use of the limited street space should not be free or almost-free car storage. There are plenty of parking spaces around Uptown that can easily meet the need for street parking, and making it known that you should use transit or park in a private deck reduces people wandering around for these limited street parking spaces all while transitioning this space back to pedestrian use. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article35587233.html

• Like 1

While I know some members here have mixed feelings on 'parklets,' I think these are amazing. The highest and best use of the limited street space should not be free or almost-free car storage. There are plenty of parking spaces around Uptown that can easily meet the need for street parking, and making it known that you should use transit or park in a private deck reduces people wandering around for these limited street parking spaces all while transitioning this space back to pedestrian use. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article35587233.html

Count me in as one of those who isn't so excited about them. I see the one at Latta Arcade being used often by three-four people who hang out for long periods of time. Is that such a wise use?

I can't tell you how many times I have to run downtown for 5-10 minutes at a time to drop off something. What a pain it is to have to find parking for such a short period in one of the decks. It seems to me, having grown up in this town, that as soon as they began promoting on street parking, things started livening up. Maybe just coincidence.

Edited by Windsurfer

A possible simple fix is to have 10, 30, or 90 minute parking easily accessible within the decks that are adjacent to a use. If all of the street spaces are taken then you're circling the block or you have to park in a deck. 

That's a pretty good idea. I've been going down to 7th street for lunch lately and I'm usually in and out within 30 minutes. The last several times I've used the parking deck I've had to float around looking for a space way more time than necessary. In fact, it's not been until the 7th level until I could find a space. Not sure how you could save spaces on the lower levels for short periods.

Parklets are a great concept, but IMO they work better in constrained spaces where you have less public open space for pedestrians. Tryon Street has the most people walking, so from a visibility standpoint, it makes sense to showcase "Parking Day" there. More permanent installations would make sense in NoDa in the vicinity of 35th St or Camden near Phat Burrito or Prices. You lose a parking space, but gain space for people to congregate outside - which currently doesn't exist. I would like the ones on Church better if they were actually a part of the adjacent restaurants so that I could have a beer out there - which is why I think future parklets need to originate from the business community. Charlotte is not lacking in park space like other major cities, so mini-parks aren't as necessary.

• Like 1

Parklets are a great concept, but IMO they work better in constrained spaces where you have less public open space for pedestrians. Tryon Street has the most people walking, so from a visibility standpoint, it makes sense to showcase "Parking Day" there. More permanent installations would make sense in NoDa in the vicinity of 35th St or Camden near Phat Burrito or Prices. You lose a parking space, but gain space for people to congregate outside - which currently doesn't exist. I would like the ones on Church better if they were actually a part of the adjacent restaurants so that I could have a beer out there - which is why I think future parklets need to originate from the business community. Charlotte is not lacking in park space like other major cities, so mini-parks aren't as necessary.

Agree with all this. I really love the concept. I just think they're better suited in South End and NoDa. Uptown has a ton of public space as is.

That's a pretty good idea. I've been going down to 7th street for lunch lately and I'm usually in and out within 30 minutes. The last several times I've used the parking deck I've had to float around looking for a space way more time than necessary. In fact, it's not been until the 7th level until I could find a space. Not sure how you could save spaces on the lower levels for short periods.

I swear that they used to do exactly that when Reid's was still there.  I cannot remember if it was short-term only or Reid's only, but somehow, every time I would go there I could park on the first level (the part that now faces imaginon and the light rail line).  But even if that actually happened, no telling if they really enforced any of it.  And of course I'm thinking back to the days when you could park in that garage for free on the weekend (i.e. 1999), even when the Panthers were playing at home.  We're in a different city now.       

• Like 1