Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Every religious structure should survive as long as possible, whether as a religious institution, or as another use. They are the one corner of the real estate market these days that actually care about how they look. Whether we share their worship or not, they are usually the most beautiful things in cities, and give us a sense that we are somewhere of human importance.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

1 hour ago, Vitamin_N said:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but that also depends on the church. There are some ugly ones out there, e.g. the Managua Cathedral https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managua_Cathedral

Well, yes totally, the last 70 years brought a ton of forgettable throwaway religious structures. But for the most part, there are a great many churches that don't get re-utilized when their congregations leave and are just razed. Which is why it's such a *ahem* blessing that the church at 15th St in OP will be a music venue soon.

54 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

FTFY

Holy mother of g-d the ironic symbolism of Calvary is too much to bare.

On 11/20/2015, 10:54:18, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not impossible at all. Buy the land assemblage, restore those buildings, develop the rest. There was an article a couple years back about a Canadian firm that was exploring doing just that. 

Oh I know it's not impossible to save the buildings, I was just implying that it's mathematically impossible to agree with you 150%...but if I could I would.

At any rate, do you remember the company that was going to redevelop that land assemblage?

On 11/20/2015, 2:10:25, CLT2014 said:

That stupid church at 7th and College has an important role in Charlotte's history. After the Civil War, the black church goers at First Pres that owns the Builder's office building left to start their own church. Established in 1866 (one year after the Civil War) the church bought the church building they are now located in at 7th and College in 1869. The church joined the Presbytery in 1911. That church is a symbol of the accomplishments of Charlotte's African Americans after the Civil War and throughout the 19th and 20th century. After many of Charlotte's black neighborhoods were leveled in Uptown, you'd think their church could at least stand the test of time. You may not use that building because it isn't a bar or public library, but this church is much more historically significant and architecturally interesting that the Builder's office. 

Fair enough about this church, especially because the congregation continues and keeps the building maintained (it is among the prettier churches).   

I was focusing more on my larger point than vacant churches should be no more respected than vacant commercial buildings.   But my cherrypicked example was not valid, as this is more truly historic and aesthetic than many others.  

However, the city will be a far better place when we can get rid of ugly block-hogs like Primitive Mt Moriah and First Baptist and a few others.  

On November 20, 2015 at 4:05:33 PM, Vitamin_N said:
19 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Oh I know it's not impossible to save the buildings, I was just implying that it's mathematically impossible to agree with you 150%...but if I could I would.

At any rate, do you remember the company that was going to redevelop that land assemblage?

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/01/toronto-group-buys-historic-west-trade-property.html

it took emailing the writer of the article, but I found it!

On 11/20/2015, 2:10:25, CLT2014 said:

That stupid church at 7th and College has an important role in Charlotte's history. After the Civil War, the black church goers at First Pres that owns the Builder's office building left to start their own church. Established in 1866 (one year after the Civil War) the church bought the church building they are now located in at 7th and College in 1869. The church joined the Presbytery in 1911. That church is a symbol of the accomplishments of Charlotte's African Americans after the Civil War and throughout the 19th and 20th century. After many of Charlotte's black neighborhoods were leveled in Uptown, you'd think their church could at least stand the test of time. You may not use that building because it isn't a bar or public library, but this church is much more historically significant and architecturally interesting that the Builder's office. 

Recently, David Erdman had an op-ed in the Charlotte Observer that seemed to discount the age and importance of Charlotte's uptown churches.

Whether or not we share the religious faith therein, these are beautiful and historically important structures.

If we're going to bemoan Charlotte's propensity to tear down old buildings, we should at least celebrate old buildings like First Presbyterian (1852) and First United Methodist (1927.)

One of my high school English teachers went to that 'stupid' church @ 7th & College. Just sayin'...

• Like 1

I have already walked back my statement.   Aesthetically pleasing churches that are still used by mainstream churches with the crazy dial set to Low should of course remain and continue and everyone be happy and merry for the season.    

But if we are drawing up fictional dreams for First Ward, and in them we tear down almost every building and replace them with cool mythical structures, then why not the church too?    7th Street station is in use, but it was drawn up with new plans.  The library, Discovery Place, College Street bars, and a lot more were shown in the renderings as being torn down and replaced.   My point is that churches shouldn't be the only thing remaining preserved, especially when they are vacated by their own churches (this one is not). 

My opinion about tearing down old churches too is not about wanting them all torn down, it is that it should be equal to the standards of other types of buildings: saved if they are currently in use and maintained, saved if they are historically significantly, have a vintage/antique quality that adds to the charm of the city even if our city's history is not that significant, aesthetically attractive in most people's view, or a reusability that adds to the community.      Keep the church on 7th for those reasons, and keep a bunch of other buildings please.    

8 minutes ago, dubone said:

I have already walked back my statement.   Aesthetically pleasing churches that are still used by mainstream churches with the crazy dial set to Low should of course remain and continue and everyone be happy and merry for the season.    

But if we are drawing up fictional dreams for First Ward, and in them we tear down almost every building and replace them with cool mythical structures, then why not the church too?    7th Street station is in use, but it was drawn up with new plans.  The library, Discovery Place, College Street bars, and a lot more were shown in the renderings as being torn down and replaced.   My point is that churches shouldn't be the only thing remaining preserved, especially when they are vacated by their own churches (this one is not). 

My opinion about tearing down old churches too is not about wanting them all torn down, it is that it should be equal to the standards of other types of buildings: saved if they are currently in use and maintained, saved if they are historically significantly, have a vintage/antique quality that adds to the charm of the city even if our city's history is not that significant, aesthetically attractive in most people's view, or a reusability that adds to the community.      Keep the church on 7th for those reasons, and keep a bunch of other buildings please.    

I'm pretty sure that Discovery Place was included in the renderings for the redevelopment of First Ward. But the rest of your post, I agree with. We can't replace everything with Charlotte Beige apartments with a bit of rushed retail thrown in. We need to keep both aesthetically pleasing buildings but also historic buildings. Sure we don't have as rich history as Charleston, Savannah or Atlanta, but why tear down some thing that has been a part of CLT for years? 

4 hours ago, dubone said:

I understand your point and I agree that sometimes it is appropriate to tear down a church. This is hardly anything new as churches are torn down all the time and replaced when their congregations move on. You're hardly suggesting anything new here.

What I do not understand is that you seem to choose to attack religion at every opportunity. When people say things like "churches with the crazy dial set to Low", it makes them look petty, intolerant and ignorant. It destroys their credibility and reduces any arguments they might make to noise. If nothing else, have some respect for people who don't share your particularly narrow view of the world. You've done the same thing when referring to The South. You don't win any points with people when you try to degrade those who are different from you (whether it's thinly veiled or otherwise).

12 hours ago, jednc said:

I understand your point and I agree that sometimes it is appropriate to tear down a church. This is hardly anything new as churches are torn down all the time and replaced when their congregations move on. You're hardly suggesting anything new here.

What I do not understand is that you seem to choose to attack religion at every opportunity. When people say things like "churches with the crazy dial set to Low", it makes them look petty, intolerant and ignorant. It destroys their credibility and reduces any arguments they might make to noise. If nothing else, have some respect for people who don't share your particularly narrow view of the world. You've done the same thing when referring to The South. You don't win any points with people when you try to degrade those who are different from you (whether it's thinly veiled or otherwise).

There is always the option of saving the church and building on top of it. This has been done quite a few times (if we're speaking in mythical terms, because of churches, the Citi tower in Manhattan is perfect).

1 hour ago, dcharlotte said:

There is always the option of saving the church and building on top of it. This has been done quite a few times (if we're speaking in mythical terms, because of churches, the Citi tower in Manhattan is perfect).

Good point. I was speaking more in terms of just the wrong headed idea that an old church can't be touched because it's sacred or something. I grew up in a church that eventually outgrew their older building and bought land a block away and built a new building from scratch. They then tore down the old structure and used the land for parking. I would have loved the old building to stay, but it wasn't feasible in the eyes of the decision makers. But certainly no one in the community thought it was terrible to tear down an old church just because it was a church any more than any other structure.

Now, whether that old structure should have been saved for historic reasons is another argument altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few structures that I have not seen mentioned in a while that have had estimated completion dates. Does anyone have updates on the following:

1. Tryon Place that originally had a start date of late 2015.

2. Crescent Uptown (whole foods, hotel, retail) original completion date 2017

3. 1 Brevard to be complete in 2017

4. Epicenter Hotel which I believe they are about to start?

Please give the latest if it is available.

8 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

There are a few structures that I have not seen mentioned in a while that have had estimated completion dates. Does anyone have updates on the following:

1. Tryon Place that originally had a start date of late 2015.

2. Crescent Uptown (whole foods, hotel, retail) original completion date 2017

3. 1 Brevard to be complete in 2017

4. Epicenter Hotel which I believe they are about to start?

Please give the latest if it is available.

This doesnt need its own thread but

1 and 2 are gonna start early next year

3 might not even happen and 4 has started

6 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

1) I'm pretty sure utility work has started and ground-breaking is next year 

2) Not sure 

3) Needs to have enough tenants 

4) Already started

I already answered these lol

1) utility work has not started yet its behind

2) early next year

3) likely wont happen

4) tower crane going up soon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing the new uptown Amelies now. It's great, and so nice that the Uptown location now looks like what you'd call their "main" location.

However, bad news: Just yesterday Amelies ended their $1 drip brewed coffee with your own cup. Now it's 10% off. That was the one reason I ever opt for Amelies for a while now. Oh well.