Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I'm curious, does anyone know when Trade Street -- any of Trade -- was last resurfaced? The whole thing is getting pretty janked up, but down by the Epicenter it won't be much longer and the limos pulling into Ritz Carlton will need four-wheel drive.

I'm curious, does anyone know when Trade Street -- any of Trade -- was last resurfaced? The whole thing is getting pretty janked up, but down by the Epicenter it won't be much longer and the limos pulling into Ritz Carlton will need four-wheel drive.

I would guess they are wanting to hold off until they can put streetcar tracks down when it is eventually resurfaced.

You're probably right, InitialD. The street car determines what happens with Trade. Also, a lot of Trade Street is paved with concrete, which has a longer life span than aslphalt, which generally means less resurfacing. Most of the problems are where there has been utility work that was parched with asphalt. Or in the case of Epicenter, where there were hundred of fully loaded trucks rolling through there every week for a few years.

• 3 weeks later...

The old Feast/HOM space looks like it has new tenants. The windows are papered over and there are 3 signs for the new spots. One is "FIJI: Sushi bar and lounge" and the other, KASHMIR: nightclub. Hopefully the rents on these spaces have come down so something can actually survive.

The old Feast/HOM space looks like it has new tenants. The windows are papered over and there are 3 signs for the new spots. One is "FIJI: Sushi bar and lounge" and the other, KASHMIR: nightclub. Hopefully the rents on these spaces have come down so something can actually survive.

Great, just what I need... another option for sushi :whistling:

That's too bad, I hadn't realized Feast/HOM had closed. I had heard that was a pretty cool spot. So the whole nightclub and restaurant closed? When did this happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the renovation of the Ivey's Condo building first floor is going to move forward. On the City Council agenda for next week is a grant to expand the 5th St sidewalk to 14 ft in width. The owner of the building is also going to remodel the first floor to "turn around" the retail so that it faces the street instead of the interior atrium.

Man!!!! Just two days ago I was at Bombay Cuisine (which is deep inside the Ivey's 5th St. row) and I was wishing that they would change the orientation of the place. As it is now, you have to walk in from the Ivey's front door (by the Bojangles), down the corridor and then into Bombay. Once you're inside, it's VERY dark, there are no windows onto 5th St., and the A/C was not working right so they have window unit A/Cs on tables with buckets catching the moisture run-off...sounds way more sketchy that it is to me. In any case, the food is good for Indian lunch prices.

So I was looking around the dark restaurant trying to figure out how it could happen and what it feel like: The back wall of Bombay could be taken out, but there is probably going to need to be about 4 steps down to street level.

Right now there is Bombay, the closed Chinese Buffet, the closed Burrito place, and Just Fresh on the 5th St. side. I hope Bombay makes it. And I hope the other ones don't go over the top once the reno is done. There is something authentic about having an Indian food dive in the city. It's very real. Most of the clientele are Indian (or similar decent).

There is something authentic about having an Indian food dive in the city. It's very real. Most of the clientele are Indian (or similar decent).

There is also Suruchi's, which is my personal favorite Indian place in all of Charlotte, and it's pretty much of a dive (though a brighter one). I seem to be the only caucasian there any time I go - mostly Indian clientele (that's how you know it's gonna be good). The food there is much more authentically spiced - frankly, it's hot as hell, . And I love it! The Naan is the only thing I don't like about Suruchi's - not that great, but the rest of the food makes up for it.

Man!!!!

. I hope Bombay makes it. And I hope the other ones don't go over the top once the reno is done. There is something authentic about having an Indian food dive in the city. It's very real. Most of the clientele are Indian (or similar decent).

There is a Indian takeaway in the Arcade on South Tryon and I saw an ad for one on Trade Street as well. I believe they are small enough that they don't have the overhead to threaten them that severely. Besides, there are lots of Indians and others that eat Indian food. My favorite too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Charlotte Convention Center will be getting a food court next year (I believe along the long concourse leading from the College St. entrance).

Tenants will be Bojangles, Einstein Bagles, and some Italian fast food place that I forget the name of (Vive Buon or something like that).

The Charlotte Convention Center will be getting a food court next year (I believe along the long concourse leading from the College St. entrance).

Tenants will be Bojangles, Einstein Bagles, and some Italian fast food place that I forget the name of (Vive Buon or something like that).

With that lineup we will be a culinary capital in no time laugh.gif