Charlotte Gateway Station and Railroad Improvements

dubone

• 2 weeks later...

^ i agree with this.  I think it should be de-centralized, but I think the stations should all be in and around uptown.

Yoir reply is contradictory. You say you agree with having a central station, then you day you think they should be stations in and around Uptown. Did you mean to say that you disagree? 

CTC used to be spread all around Tryon and Trade. That's why those streets have all of those really nice bus shelters. My guess is that it would create some really inefficient transfer points to do it that way.

not really talking about putting it out on the sidewalk... more like 3 or four stations similar in size to what they have at CTC...  I am envisioning something efficient like in larger urban transit systems where riders can link together two or three routes and stations and basically get to multiple points  in the CBD or choose to head out in another direction without having to always track back to the center.

Well, having 3 or 4 stations around the wards wouldn't be a bad idea. There are times when I decide against bus or train just because my final destination is in an awkward corner of Uptown.

yup

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty reasonable approach to having the station uptown.  I think all the combinations they originally hoped to build just became to complicated.  I don't understand why they wouldn't flip it and have it on Trade.  That part is very confusing. 

This is a pretty reasonable approach to having the station uptown.  I think all the combinations they originally hoped to build just became to complicated.  I don't understand why they wouldn't flip it and have it on Trade.  That part is very confusing. 

I'm guessing they needed to have an emergency exit off the platform there anyway, makes sense to use it as the temporary platform access. 

Also: I posted this over in the state section in the NC intercity rail thread, but it fits here too.  The Georgia DOT has released its Draft Alternatives Development Report. http://www.dot.ga.gov/InvestSmart/Rail/Documents/Atl-Char/AtltoCharPRCIPAlternativesDevelopmentReport.pdf.  I added some of my thoughts in the other thread. 

Edited by DEnd
  • Like 1

It probably is due to construction phasing.  Having it on 5th will allow them to construct the permanent facilty without impacting service.  I would image that the construction of the permanent station will likely impact much of the area adjacent to it, and you would want to be as far away from it as possible.

Edited by archiham04

What does all the mean? Does it mean we are not getting a "grand" gateway station like Denver now?? What are we talking about???

it means Gateway will be built in phases, the first phase will house a temporary station until the permanent station is built.

on a side note, I hate the name Gateway. It's so generic. Queens Station or something more creative or named after someone would've been better to me. 

• Like 1

I like that one of the proposed routes from CLT to ATL has a stop at CLT Airport. Good thinking. 

All of the preferred alternatives stop at CLT airport.  The three that didn't went through Rock Hill, two of those went on to Columbia.

Anthony Foxx is in CLT and will make a "major announcement" and is expected to be about the Gateway Station. The announcement is not at 5pm, I got confused from reading a Charlotte Agenda article. However, I'm secretly wishing it is both Gateway Station and Phase 2 of the streetcar.

Edits in Italic 

Edited by Piedmont767

^ It already happened. Per the tweeter nothing new (meaning the Streetcar) was discussed by Foxx although he did say the "logjam" blocking the Red Line needed to be cleared.

As we all know the real "logjam" is the Grade Separation at Graham Interlocking (ADM).  NS will never allow the Red Line to proceed unless dual-tracking along the "O"-line and the grade separation happen first.  NCDOT took away the funds for it years ago and it's not coming back unless they somehow find an extra $50 million or so.

So what was discussed? Apart from the Red Line, I'm afraid I don't understand you post! :unsure:

Foxx was simply announcing the Gateway Station TIGER Grant that we all already knew about.

As we all know the real "logjam" is the Grade Separation at Graham Interlocking (ADM).  NS will never allow the Red Line to proceed unless dual-tracking along the "O"-line and the grade separation happen first.  NCDOT took away the funds for it years ago and it's not coming back unless they somehow find an extra $50 million or so.

Yea, but there are other options like running down Atando (if the passenger bypass track actually gets built on the proper side of the yard). Nothing can really happen on the grade separation until NS releases its traffic "study" for the O line. I think we all know that the "study" will say that insufficient capacity exists for commuter rail until some type of permanent accommodation is made for them on the NCRR.