SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

The site plan is misleading. The space closest to the light rail is already occupied by a marketing company. The restaurant will be fronting Hawkins. 

Do people really call us a marketing company *barf*? ;)  A lot of interest in the other spaces btw, it seems like at least 1x/week I have to answer questions to someone peeking in the windows as I leave work. While the other spaces COULD house retail or a small cafe or something, I would expect them to go office/studio. 

I have a good idea of what the restaurant will be. The owner has a long-standing popular Charlotte restaurant and I anticipate this will be a somewhat different take on the same genre. Nobody here is likely to flip out over it, but it will be a welcome addition to the neighborhood IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem everyones favorite South Tryon Building is no longer on SiteIndex and no longer listed for sale on ARGOS website... Makes me wonder if someone bought it and what their plans are.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 12.04.21 PM.png

It would seem everyones favorite South Tryon Building is no longer on SiteIndex and no longer listed for sale on ARGOS website... Makes me wonder if someone bought it and what their plans are.

Spectrum is building apartments here. The small office building at 1208 S Tryon is a goner too. They're doing a land swap with the owner of the large office building at Tryon and Carson and building them an additional row of office parking since that owner also owned the land next to the building pictured above. The rest of the block will be apartments.

Edited by Prodev

Just curious, do any actual humans work at these development companies building all these soul less apartment buildings? Are the people that work there actually capable of critical thinking and creativity? Because all of their actions show otherwise.

Two questions are asked: HOW MUCH CAN WE BUILD & HOW MUCH CAN WE MAKE? 

Spectrum is building apartments here. The small office building at 1208 S Tryon is a goner too. They're doing a land swap with the owner of the large office building at Tryon and Carson and building them an additional row of office parking since that owner also owned the land next to the building pictured above. The rest of the block will be apartments.

is nothing F*#&ing Sacred

Stick built apartments as far as the eye can see. Hopefully ole bessie doesn't kick over a lantern.

Edited by Guest

is nothing F*#&ing Sacred

Stick built apartments as far as the eye can see. Hopefully ole bessie doesn't kick over a lantern.

At least we can finally enter the "World Class" list of cities that have had a GREAT FIRE.  A la Chicago, NY, San Francisco, Toronto, London, Rome, ect.  That's the big time.

• Like 2

One less option for where Common Market could relocate in South End.

Hate to tell you but they are looking to relocate to either Oakhurst or Wesley Heights. Hate to Tell ya... They are leaving southend. They are looking to be trend setters elsewhere.

Edited by Guest

Hate to tell you but they are looking to relocate to either Oakhurst or Wesley Heights. Hate to Tell ya... They are leaving southend. 

Wesley Heights would be a bit of a shame because of the competition with Rhino Market. They'd probably win that one, but I'd hate to see it come to that. I thought they'd aim for somewhere in the Gold District but hell, at the moment if I were an eclectic business looking to repurpose an older building, I'd be a little scared to do so in any "hot" neighborhood as I'd just get kicked to the curb within a few years. 

Wesley Heights would be a bit of a shame because of the competition with Rhino Market. They'd probably win that one, but I'd hate to see it come to that. I thought they'd aim for somewhere in the Gold District but hell, at the moment if I were an eclectic business looking to repurpose an older building, I'd be a little scared to do so in any "hot" neighborhood as I'd just get kicked to the curb within a few years. 

Well, I guess With Craft in the neighborhood and Bull Dog moving in, I guess they figured it was time to blaze a new trail. They really like East Charlotte, but want a new frontier. 

Hate to tell you but they are looking to relocate to either Oakhurst or Wesley Heights. Hate to Tell ya... They are leaving southend. They are looking to be trend setters elsewhere.

That's too bad becasue they could still do very well in South End while opening in Oakhurst and Wesley Heights. 

I thought Rhino Market and Common Market were owned by the same people...

I thought Rhino Market and Common Market were owned by the same people...

close, Rob, the owner of Rhino, was the former Manager at Common Market. 

Edited by Guest

Definitely one of the better looking, best designed buildings going up in SouthEnd.

11930742_1642518849297234_1480489081158819179_o.jpg

When this, RAM Worthington, 1616 Center, DFA, 1000 South Tryon, and the under the radar project on South Tryon near the intersection of Camden and South Tryon ( ;-) ) open its going to be quite a urban stretch! I've always thought Glenwood South had a better urban presence. But if we get all these retail spots open, we might surpass them. 

Edited by Guest

I really like the Camden building shown in the pic here.  The brown sections between the rows of windows on the larger building in the foreground is horizontal wood slats.  It is unique as far as large apartment buildings in Charlotte go, and looks very good in real life.

• Like 2

Speaking of 1616 Center...it looks like they've almost fully leased the building.  SiteIndex (the commercial MLS site) is showing only 50% of the second floor, and about 25% of the 5th floor as still available.

I'm still not convinced that DFA/Cousins buildings on the Food Truck lot, but when I hinted it and Common Market were getting developed, the rumor was then another office buiding similar to 1616 was in the works, though at that time, the site was also being shopped to apartment developers to see if they would pay a premium (of course).

Edited by atlrvr

Cousins Properties and Dimensional Fund Advisors are targeting a prominent site in South End for DFA’s East Coast regional headquarters.

The two firms are planing to build DFA’s facility on a triangular, 2.3-acre assemblage in South End bounded by South Tryon Street, Camden Road and Park Avenue, according to real estate sources. The property is currently home to businesses including The Common Market and also hosts the weekly Food Truck Friday event at the corner of Park and Camden.

Cousins and DFA plan to build a regional headquarters building on the property totaling approximately 200,000 square feet, with office over structured parking, sources say.

The majority of the parcels are controlled by Gaines Brown, who owns The Common Market property as well as the Food Truck Friday site. When contacted by the CBJ in July, Brown said there was no development planned for the site in the near future.

“It’s all just speculation,” he said. “I’ve got some good leases in place and great tenants and neighbors.”

In a story published by Creative Loafing earlier this month, The Common Market confirmed that Brown was in discussions with a developer, and owner Chuck Barger acknowledged he is researching alternative locations.

Real estate firm Barwick & Associates, headed by Bryan Barwick, owns two of the parcels at the site, including the retail property at the corner of Tryon and Camden.

Barwick declined to comment, citing a confidentiality agreement.

Dimensional Fund Advisors recently leased two floors at the Fifth Third Center building in uptown Charlotte. The Texas-based investment firm announced this summer that it would locate its East Coast regional headquarters in Charlotte, creating 316 jobs. The company has said that its headquarters building is expected to be complete as early as the fourth quarter of 2018.

Cousins Properties and Dimensional Fund Advisors are targeting a prominent site in South End for DFA’s East Coast regional headquarters.

The two firms are planing to build DFA’s facility on a triangular, 2.3-acre assemblage in South End bounded by South Tryon Street, Camden Road and Park Avenue, according to real estate sources. The property is currently home to businesses including The Common Market and also hosts the weekly Food Truck Friday event at the corner of Park and Camden.

Cousins and DFA plan to build a regional headquarters building on the property totaling approximately 200,000 square feet, with office over structured parking, sources say.

The majority of the parcels are controlled by Gaines Brown, who owns The Common Market property as well as the Food Truck Friday site. When contacted by the CBJ in July, Brown said there was no development planned for the site in the near future.

“It’s all just speculation,” he said. “I’ve got some good leases in place and great tenants and neighbors.”

In a story published by Creative Loafing earlier this month, The Common Market confirmed that Brown was in discussions with a developer, and owner Chuck Barger acknowledged he is researching alternative locations.

Real estate firm Barwick & Associates, headed by Bryan Barwick, owns two of the parcels at the site, including the retail property at the corner of Tryon and Camden.

Barwick declined to comment, citing a confidentiality agreement.

Dimensional Fund Advisors recently leased two floors at the Fifth Third Center building in uptown Charlotte. The Texas-based investment firm announced this summer that it would locate its East Coast regional headquarters in Charlotte, creating 316 jobs. The company has said that its headquarters building is expected to be complete as early as the fourth quarter of 2018.

I swear if they build a AvidXChange-esque building on this corner I'll blow some crap up.