SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

God willing it's the Charlotte Observer site. Atherton seems small for a mini-birkdale. I do realize that they've already made it public that they'll put in more retail and stuff similar to Anthropologie but it just seems like a small amount of land. (Then again, I have terrible spacial senses)

When it's urban concept stores, you don't need to much land.

Basically due to the land constraints, I figure (educated speculation) , they are going to basically wrap an L shaped building in the area in front of atherton lofts, then the L will turn where icehouse and atherton market are... Not exactly birkdaleish. However, there is an opportunity for at least 100k retail including the historic Atherton building. Maybe it's not a 500k meal uptown, but it's still something very major. Add in Rams apartment tower, Camden gallery, 1616 center, DFAs HQ (will have to have good street presence) and you have the makings of an excellent retail/entertainment corridor. 

When it's urban concept stores, you don't need to much land.

Basically due to the land constraints, I figure (educated speculation) , they are going to basically wrap an L shaped building in the area in front of atherton lofts, then the L will turn where icehouse and atherton market are... Not exactly birkdaleish. However, there is an opportunity for at least 100k retail including the historic Atherton building. Maybe it's not a 500k meal uptown, but it's still something very major. Add in Rams apartment tower, Camden gallery, 1616 center, DFAs HQ (will have to have good street presence) and you have the makings of an excellent retail/entertainment corridor. 

THe "L" shape is exactly the plan they have. 65k of new retail with apartments above. 

It says it's for 650 units, which would be a huge under-utilization of that property, in my opinion. I always thought that site would be great for a scaled down Atlantic Station type of development. Something less dense than that but more dense than Birkdale, I hope they're not just planning 3-story garden units on the entire site, and instead do something more dense like Silos and leaving some land for future retail along Tryon. 

Driving by Brookhill this weekend, I think I disagree.  It's not really transit walkable, especially back toward I-77.  I actually think multi-family and some retail fronting S Tryon could work, but most of the property being single-family homes like Brightwalk could work ($250-$350k price point).  This location for single-family would be a grand slam, AND really accelerate the S Tryon portion of South End redevelopment.

• Like 3

^^^Wow.  A development that maintains some interesting historical buildings, looks to have high quality design materials, is pedestrian friendly, and has a good mix of uses including lots of retail-are we sure this is actually happening in Charlotte?  Or is this some sort of parallel universe "Charlotte" which is inaccessible to us.

Great project Eden.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

Oh man.  This delights me.

Also, doesn't this make a stop at the Publix even more paramount?

the political factors blocking the progress on a stop is just insane. However. With well over $100 million going into the area, I have no doubts a stop will happen eventually. 2018ish. And yeah this project is going to be amazing. They already have some great brands and restaurant partners lined up. 

However, not everything is being spared, as it is likely the Yadkin Bank, By Design, Bonez, PureBody, and Atherton Market are goners. The market will likely find a new home in this project so not to fear there.

I'm admittedly glad the ByDesign building is going away for a better project. But the Market building/former trolley garage? Sad loss.

But overall it's impressive they're keeping any of Atherton at all. Have we even seen any parking lot infill projects at all in Charlotte? Is this the first one? I feel like I read about them in theory all the time but never in practice.

Wow! SouthEnd is becoming amazing. 

I hope they can make South Blvd. pedestrian crossings better. 

I have friends that live at Junction 1504 that have filed a petition to create a pedestrian crossing near the publix. Hopefully that is done sooner rather than later. "Should" be a relatively low cost and quick project that would have an immediate impact. 

New three story 15,000 SqFt office building going up on Dunavant, called Dunavant Place. Link to pdf flyer - http://nebula.wsimg.com/5306205901fcd11d3a03e6412b54ef42?AccessKeyId=A00BEEE47D3FD7C84295&disposition=0

Should be no surprise but a drive-by this morning suggests that this nice infill project is dead (sign has been removed and the standard signs of the parcel being forgotten are all there).

Love the sound of more retail.  Little bummed out about the Atherton Market going, but it looks like it will come back in one of the retail spaces, so that's cool.  Was a little worried there for a second... the only places I go to regularly in South End are Common Market, Food Truck Friday, Atherton Market / Not Just Coffee, and Luna's Living Kitchen. For a moment there I thought they were getting rid of every single place I go to in South End.

Anyway, cool project.  Looking forward to this.

Edited by Higgs Boson
  • Like 1

Driving by Brookhill this weekend, I think I disagree.  It's not really transit walkable, especially back toward I-77.  I actually think multi-family and some retail fronting S Tryon could work, but most of the property being single-family homes like Brightwalk could work ($250-$350k price point).  This location for single-family would be a grand slam, AND really accelerate the S Tryon portion of South End redevelopment.

HERE IS THE MASTERPLAN I just drew up for the area

BEFORE

BEFORE.thumb.jpg.d9506b9707ba56a2d15107c

AFTER

SOUTHSIDE-BROOKHILL.thumb.jpg.0fdd92586b

Historic Southend is Charlotte Center City Partners which is almost entirely pro-development.   I think they only include the historic part in their marketing to woo Dr Palmer-like safari hunters for a character-filled antique structure that they can blow to smithereens.    "Here is an antique structure, you can totally blow that up and put in anything you want!"  

It must be exhilarating to be an douche.

• Like 1

Rendering of Solis Southline (Remount & South). Compared to what we've seen pop up in SouthEnd.. I like the rendering personally.. Is that a non-beige and retail on South I see? 

CQot5euU8AApfzk.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Ely on Twitter)

Nothing revolutionary but SO much better than the first rendering with its lack of retail and perplexing half wall around the corner. This looks more like Camden Gallery than anything, and of Southend-y-style midrise projects to emulate that's probably the best one. 

• Like 1

Rendering of Solis Southline (Remount & South). Compared to what we've seen pop up in SouthEnd.. I like the rendering personally.. Is that a non-beige and retail on South I see? 

there was light site work underway here this morning (one excavator and one bobcat).

They were also removing the parking lot pavement at Sedgefield SC / Teeter today.

• Like 1

Probably just a leasing center and a fitness room. :lol:

Actually appears about 2/3 of the south blvd frontage is retail. How weird is this block going to be. Big Giant Building, Suburban Off Broadway Shoes, Suburban Pharmacy, Auto Bell, Big Giant Building.  

Edit: I forgot this was the definition of a superblock. We will follow that with Publix and then the new Atherton Complex. 

Edited by Guest

Nothing revolutionary but SO much better than the first rendering with its lack of retail and perplexing half wall around the corner. This looks more like Camden Gallery than anything, and of Southend-y-style midrise projects to emulate that's probably the best one. 

Agreed.  If we have to have stick-built, low-rise, southendesque construction, then this is about the best we can hope for.