SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Anyone have the Pepsi renderings / Site plan? Curious how much office they are putting there. 

They are negotiating with a major office developer, and trying to secure a anchor tenant already. That said, theres still a possibility that it could fall through and not end up included, because of this there isn't an official scope for the office portion yet.  I saw a site plan back in August when I was in town, but I haven't seen the most recent. It sounds like they have done a lot to improve and change the plan since I last laid my eyes on it.

Last I heard it was 350 Units, 25k retail, 60-75k office.

Edited by Guest

Metrostudy (a vendor of supply and demand data for SFH) recently released their quarterly update for Charlotte. The data are clear that mid to high-end townhouses are the most under supplied portion of the location SFH market (inventories are low, time on market is short and the pipeline of new projects is minuscule). The presenter was adamant that their are huge opportunities in this segment of the market, but it was also clear that none of the dozens of suburban-oriented developers in the room were interested in the market segment. Infill was just too risky, complicated and small to attract any attention from this crowd. I hope we have enough small-scale developers in town to fill this hole in the market.

On the 'bright' side, everybody in the room was talking about how eastern Lincoln was on the cusp of becoming the next Union county. Shrug.

Edited by kermit

^^Why would nearly every developer still be so skittish when it comes to that? I would imagine demand would be sky high right? Not everyone is in the market for an apartment and haven't the very few townhome projects we have seen recently sold well? We have seen a small increase in lending so why the strong resistance?

^^Why would nearly every developer still be so skittish when it comes to that? I would imagine demand would be sky high right? Not everyone is in the market for an apartment and haven't the very few townhome projects we have seen recently sold well? We have seen a small increase in lending so why the strong resistance?

1) Can't build by right; 2) Occasional NIMBYs; 3) No economies of scale; 4) land is so expensive that it adds risk; 5) Design can't be cookie cutter due to weird lot sized; 6) these guys just don't know how to make a buck from an intown parcel.

Most importantly these developers are working from the point of view that American's only want a greenfield SFH. Anything else is just a rounding error in their business model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a shame. Once the DFA building is up, that intersection will probably be entirely chains stores. Starbucks, Which Wich, 7-11, etc... only types of businesses with the scale to afford the rent. Small businesses will find a new cool area. 

Edited by CLT2014

4 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

That is a shame. Once the DFA building is up, that intersection will probably be entirely chains stores. Starbucks, Which Wich, 7-11, etc... only types of businesses with the scale to afford the rent. Small businesses will find a new cool area. 

Very true, it's call greed. Hopefully small business will move in NothEnd or Elizabeth, which I think are going to be the "up and coming" neighborhoods. 

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

How is that greed?! If you owned a rental property and someone with no credit said they wanted to rent it for $1000 per month and someone with great credit said they would rent it for $1,500 per month it's somehow greedy to accept the higher rent with better credit??

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

How is that greed?! If you owned a rental property and someone with no credit said they wanted to rent it for $1000 per month and someone with great credit said they would rent it for $1,500 per month it's somehow greedy to accept the higher rent with better credit??

Yes it is. How is that not greed?! As a rental property owner, renting it out to someone because they're going to give you money is clearly greedy. You'd be looking out for yourself. I didn't say it was bad or not the right business decision, but it is greed to take more money and protect yourself from losing said money by renting out to someone with higher credit. 

Edited by Piedmont767
I get the feeling I'm unpopular here on up

7 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Yes it is. How is that not greed?! As a rental property owner, renting it out to someone because they're going to give you money is clearly greedy. You'd be looking out for yourself. I didn't say it was bad or not the right business decision, but it is greed to take more money and protect yourself from losing said money by renting out to someone with higher credit. 

Greed is good. And so is obvious money making decisions, obvious business decision and anyone who says they wouldn't do the thing that makes them the most money is lying to themselves and everyone else 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

How much charm, culture, etc. did SouthEnd have prior to the Blue Line and the following projects?

zero

EDIT: Sorry i shouldn't have single word answers. SouthEnd was rough and tumble and had very little going for it. Spaghetti Warehouse was there, Fat Burrito was there, the bojangles at the corner of West and South Tryon was the best in town, and the original Bo's. Honestly all the culture was in NoDa, then it started moving down to SouthEnd, and now it will move back out of SouthEnd.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Based on the covered patio and the back, and the patio in the front, I'd hope we'd see restaurant/brewery. 

Would love to see another brewery there. With the breweries, distilleries, and I think a 2nd cidery is opening in that area too, that could eventually turn into a really unique district. I doubt many, if any other cities, would have such a high concentration of breweries/distilleries in a walkable area. It's getting time that  the city do some pedestrian and streetscape enhancements on those streets. There are no sidewalks right now.

2 hours ago, AP3 said:

Anyone know what is going into the Harvest Foods across from OMB?  Property is up for a rezoning.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-011%20site%20plan.pdf

It is going to be a bar/restaurant (high end entertainment & restaurant venue) with several bowling lanes and games(pool tables, shuffleboard,bocce, corn hole, etc). Live music, large outdoor patio area, tvs etc. No brewery but serving alot of local brews. Cant remember the name but I think its "Queen City Social". 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, QClifer said:

It is going to be a bar/restaurant (high end entertainment & restaurant venue) with several bowling lanes and games(pool tables, shuffleboard,bocce, corn hole, etc). Live music, large outdoor patio area, tvs etc. No brewery but serving alot of local brews. Cant remember the name but I think its "Queen City Social". 

Interesting. This could be a pretty crazy area in a few years. I just wish there were sidewalks that connected it to Scaleybark station, I felt pretty unsafe walking over there last year.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:
3 hours ago, QClifer said:

Interesting. This could be a pretty crazy area in a few years. I just wish there were sidewalks that connected it to Scaleybark station, I felt pretty unsafe walking over there last year.

Sounds like a Piedmont Social House spinoff.  I'm down for that.

• Like 1