Frederik Meijer Gardens - $115 Million Expansions/Enhancements

GRDadof3

I read somewhere that the Gardens currently doesn't have plans for the former golf course property, and will allow it to revert to a natural setting for now.  With their largest expansion to date wrapping up, I'm sure they need a few years to get their ducks and dollars in a row.  

Funny that the golf course still has a website: http://grandrapidsgolf.net/

Back to your original point, I wasn't suggesting that they were going to announce anything major any time soon. They're probably getting out ahead of the tightening land shortage, especially this close to downtown and in a premiere school district and along a major thoroughfare. The golf course was actually master planned for single family homes, up to 500 of them I believe. Figured they'd lock all of it up before the window of opportunity closed.

On the other hand, seems like the FMG board has probably discussed a twenty year plan for all this property. No organization with this kind of money behind it makes investments haphazardly. 

Has anything been announced for the old UAW site?  (Or was it a veteran's building?  I don't remember which..)  Or is that reverting to nature like the golf course as well?  I've proposed to the Rapid realigning route 15 to run through that corner as it does on detour when Leffingwell is closed.  If FMG were to build a second entrance there, finally connecting Route 15 to FMG would be a breeze.

Has anything been announced for the old UAW site?  (Or was it a veteran's building?  I don't remember which..)  Or is that reverting to nature like the golf course as well?  I've proposed to the Rapid realigning route 15 to run through that corner as it does on detour when Leffingwell is closed.  If FMG were to build a second entrance there, finally connecting Route 15 to FMG would be a breeze.

Nothing has been "announced" for any of it, except that the old gerontology place will be parking for the amphitheater. 

• 1 month later...

The opening of the Japanese garden in GR actually got some news coverage in Japan.  My brother, who lives in Tokyo, was reading the Japan Times and randomly spotted this article:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/12/national/grand-rapids-debuts-serene-japanese-garden-featuring-sculpture-tea/#.VX28fGDmY3T

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

If the extra Andes the grounds at all, I could see them absorbing the old UAW space (as the first of many expansions). When you get over on that side, you're awkwardly close to the fence that separates the two properties. I'd also like to see the grand arch become a grand entrance to something. Right now, it sits to the side of the path. I would imagine you'll eventually walk underneath it to continue your journey. Love the Gardens!

Joe

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

That's huge. 

I'll be nice when they release a site plan, which would make sense of a lot of this.

33563241986_98318a9c90_b.jpg

33563242246_6d21848f21_b.jpg

33220523590_e5c1f3dc46_b.jpg

33563242366_b21884fe19_b.jpg

33220523850_2a238d2999_b.jpg

18 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Pretty amazing growth statistics over the years. Crazy to think the Gardens probably wouldn't have happened if The Meijer store proposed for that location had been approved. 

Joe

Originally plans for "The Gardens" were proposed for Wahlfield Park in Alpine Township, but when Fred Meijer donated this land plans quickly changed for the better....

Do the rough sketches released remind anyone else of the Grand Rapids Art Museum, even a little bit?

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

The city of Grand Rapids scoffs at this plan and would like to point out that if you alert people to the fact that there is a big parking lot a mile north across the Beltline at the Meijer store, they could actually reduce the amount of parking at the Gardens and attendance would go up.  Makes perfect sense doesn't it?  I mean, there's lots of parking in the area of Meijer Gardens if you just know where to look.

And there are bike trails from Meijer to Meijer Gardens! Get out and walk ya old farts!

• Like 2

Wow. Seems like every other year there is a major announcement out there!

Interesting to see some of you bring up the parking. Meijer Gardens is providing the parking, not the city. And what choice does FMG have? The surrounding land uses aren't favorable for varied transportation. The city is diversifying transportation in areas where it works. FMG has always been auto-oriented and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I love the place, but from day one the location has always kind of disappointed me. It would have been interesting to see it in a more urban context like so many great botanical gardens.

It will be interesting to see if FMG's continued success forces them to implement regular shuttle service to the outlying south / overflow / amphitheater lot like they sometimes have for events. Then again, if the parking lot landscaping and walkways are nice enough people probably don't mind strolling a few extra minutes.