Charlotte Greenway Trails

CharlotteDave

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Edit:  Context

This was from the Master Greenway unveil event today.  I tried to get a bunch of map pictures.  1st one is the north leg from Uptown to PNC Pavilion.  There is a good chance that they are going to convert of the of lanes on the Central Ave bridge into bike/pedestrian only with a barrier to allow for the connection from Sugar Creek Greenway to the 10th Street/Siegel leg of the greenway through Belmont.

Additional info:

The bidding for the county portion from Archdale to Tyvola started yesterday and they expect construction to begin soon.  This will extend Huntingtown Farms Greenway to Tyvola.

The portion from Tyvola to Brandywine where it'll connect with the current greenway is city funded and will begin construction "mid-2017" (rather ambiguous), but it requires funding that'll go up in a bond referendum in November.  (Vote Yes!)

Some of the most important feedback they got was about the lack of width of our greenway and finding ways to separate walkers from riders.  The new portions of the line (where permitted) will include separated paths for riders and walkers, including different colored paths that are distinctively separate and will in some places incorporate medians.

image.thumb.jpeg.d0ae5432b4a40fd0ff672ffimage.thumb.jpeg.6d03c46b3d6a7d9ac1787c2image.thumb.jpeg.7e0ce516d08aa19331f433cimage.thumb.jpeg.356ac8d40918a2eaca3f34f

So I'm a little perplexed about what was shown on Saturday's unveiling vs my discussions with someone involved with the project. The big question that I believe many of us had was the alignment they would select to go from Uptown to the Toby Creek Greenway. All of the maps still reflect all the alignment options when it had sounded like they were proceeding with one that goes north into Hidden Valley ("Option A" - which I've added to the development map as a long-term transpo plan)

The biggest problem is that they can't plan on the ACRW path being available anytime soon, so the NoDa/rail corridor alignment option more or less has to go on the back burner and be held out as a future option for a "loop" trail. 

In any event, Option A would utilize a near-future road diet on Matheson to get across the tracks, then follow the creek up into Hidden Valley. Two challenges they have are getting over/under Sugar Creek and N Tryon, but acknowledged the enormous redevelopment potential at Asian Corner Mall. 

The biggest problem is that they can't plan on the ACRW path being available anytime soon

In any event, Option A would utilize a near-future road diet on Matheson to get across the tracks, then follow the creek up into Hidden Valley

Yes. The person I spoke with said that they are "basically waiting" for the rail spur through NoDa to be given to the city- and who knows when the heck that'll be- while a CATS engineer said it was "essentially a pipe dream." The interim plan is to use Matheson Bridge to get over the tracks, ideally making it a safe enough path to be made a destination, for the skyline view.

So, is what I'm getting from this that they still aren't really sure about how they'll do the northern portions...?

• 2 weeks later...

There's a proposal to dig a tunnel under Albemarle Road, for the future Campbell Creek Greenway. Ultimately, this will allow an important greenway link between east Charlotte and south Charlotte, via Upper McAlpine and the existing Campbell Creek greenways. I hope the next step is to establish a link between Lower and Upper McAlpine greenways:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/CNIP/Documents/Albemarle_Connect_board_halfsize.pdf

Also, another project proposed for east Charlotte, is reestablishing the Old Potter Trail along Norland/Kilborne. This project would include a streetscape along this stretch between the Evergreen Nature Preserve and Eastway Drive. The future plan is to link it with the future Briar Creek Greenway:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/CNIP/Documents/OldPotterTrail_board_halfsize.pdf

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, uptownliving said:

The City has applied for a TIGER grant that would pay for the $15M Cross Charlotte trail bridge over Independence/277 interchange. It would be a really cool bridge if built especially for skyline shots.

crossclt.gif

The portion of the greenway betweeen Central and Seigle Avenues has the very real possibility of being built by private developer (see recent posts in Belmont thread). Hence, the label "private property to acquire" seems misleading. Plus, grants with private partners are usually more competitive.

8 hours ago, uptownliving said:

The City has applied for a TIGER grant that would pay for the $15M Cross Charlotte trail bridge over Independence/277 interchange. It would be a really cool bridge if built especially for skyline shots.

crossclt.gif

Now that they're about to have developers build the trail from central to 10th st, why do we need a bridge? Can't we just give the Central bridge a separated trail space? This seems like a waste of money, much like building excessive bridges for a new auto highway. Please tell me if I'm wrong. 

^Yep, a signature bridge taking advantage of the skyline views would be awesome.

A separate bridge also becomes a destination in itself, encouraging much more riding and walking between Metropolitan/CPCC and Noda.

Besides, imagine how annoying it will be for cyclists to maneuver around skyline-gawking pedestrians on the Central Ave bridge, if going with the cheaper option. Granted, maybe the peds will be on the existing sidewalk. But then, there's still likely to be some spillover from that skinny sidewalk onto the adjoining cycletrack.

Dream bigger, QC!

I really want this bridge, but lets not make it into something it cant be. Its going to span 10 lanes of very busy freeway, not a charming river, falls and beautiful park. The noise level for bikers, peds and gawkers will be high so it will be nothing like Falls Park.

Just now, Niner National said:

Can we please include viewing areas in the bridge so people have somewhere to stand without impeding traffic?

This will have some pretty killer views of Uptown and I don't want groups of people standing there getting in the way of bikers.

They've already noted a "scenic overlook" in the middle of the bridge

^ to a degree.  The new apartment complexes just North of Selwyn built fairly significant sections which will serve to speed things along.  But no, no land clearing has occurred on any County right of way for the Southern section between Huntingtown Farms & Park Rd. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived