Innovista

Spartan

It seems the campus will take a retro design following in the same footsteps as the horseshoe. Phase one of the campus (Horizon Center block, Public Health block, and Biomedical block) is expected to be complete in 2007.

Just some facts and figures about the Campus:

CENTERS ALREADY APPROVED

Program Building

Regenerative Medicine (with MUSC, Clemson) Biomedical

Brain Imaging (with MUSC, Clemson) Biomedical

Translational Cancer Therapeutics (with MUSC, Clemson) Public Health

Hydrogen Fuel Cells Horizon

PROPOSED CENTERS

Molecular Nutrition (with MUSC, Clemson) Biomedical

Vision Science (with MUSC) Biomedical

Patient Simulation Center (with MUSC) Biomedical

Stroke (with MUSC) Biomedical

Carolina Laser Lighting Horizon

Fuel Cells/Hydrogen Energy Horizon

Biodefense & Biosecurity (with MUSC) Public Health

Translational Cancer/Molecular Epidemiology (with MUSC) Public Health

Memory Therapeutics (with MUSC) Biomedical

Received approval for $58 million in Research University Infrastructure bonds that will help fund:

This project is gonna be awesome! I don't think the city will ever be quite the same after this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you, Sandy. If we thought the Vista was already hopping, just wait until the research campus, the Hilton, Canalside, the baseball stadium and the Mill Renovations are all finished. Whew. There is an awful lot of money being invested in Columbia right now. I think we are entering a boom period like South Carolina has never seen before.

Most definitely. As I said on another board, in five years, DT Columbia would look nothing like it did five years ago. Now, if they could only do something about that eyesore that is the Heart of Columbia Motel.....and while they're at it, some development along Pulaski would be nice. But all in all, I think Columbia is one of the prime examples in the nation of how a university positively contributes to downtown.

I agree completely with that. Pulaski needs to be outfitted for regular use. It is very bizarre to have Huger St being 6 lanes and heavy traffic, while Pulaski is a low traffic, one lane (but bi-directional) road that is one block over.

Most definitely. As I said on another board, in five years, DT Columbia would look nothing like it did five years ago. Now, if they could only do something about that eyesore that is the Heart of Columbia Motel.....and while they're at it, some development along Pulaski would be nice. But all in all, I think Columbia is one of the prime examples in the nation of how a university positively contributes to downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree DT in 05 looks different from 95, there is alot more going on now than what used to be. It's definately an exciting time, I'm proud of my hometown.

I agree completely with that. Pulaski needs to be outfitted for regular use. It is very bizarre to have Huger St being 6 lanes and heavy traffic, while Pulaski is a low traffic, one lane (but bi-directional) road that is one block over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true. It's like we have the Vista, which includes the Colonial Center and the CMCC, and the street that borders that area to the west is full of vacant lots and a big abandoned warehouse. As I've already stated, "potential" is Columbia's gift and its curse.

Another thing that I've noticed in Columbia is that some of the surface parking lots need some upgrading, such as the one in front of the Colonial Center, adjacent to the lot where the proposed Hilton hotel is to be built. It looks terrible to have the nice-looking surface lots to the south of the Center, and then the ugly one right in front. It doesn't blend well with Lady St. at all. And some of the buildings in that area need better landscaping (just a little TLC). I guess being in Charlotte every day I expect a crisp, clean look in DT.

Very true. It's like we have the Vista, which includes the Colonial Center and the CMCC, and the street that borders that area to the west is full of vacant lots and a big abandoned warehouse. As I've already stated, "potential" is Columbia's gift and its curse.

Another thing that I've noticed in Columbia is that some of the surface parking lots need some upgrading, such as the one in front of the Colonial Center, adjacent to the lot where the proposed Hilton hotel is to be built. It looks terrible to have the nice-looking surface lots to the south of the Center, and then the ugly one right in front. It doesn't blend well with Lady St. at all. And some of the buildings in that area need better landscaping (just a little TLC). I guess being in Charlotte every day I expect a crisp, clean look in DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course in Charlotte they tore down everything that wasn't crisp and new.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget, the lot in front of the Colonial Center is going to be removed for part of the Research Campus. (not the one you are talking about though- which is more diagonal to it- NE corner of Lincoln & Pendleton)There are several lots in town that need improvement. I think it will just be a matter of time.

Charlotte is a great palce, but so much of its history has been sacraficed that the neat and clean thing is almost a sterile effect. I hope Columbia iwll keep as much of its history as possible.

I certainly wasn't comparing the two cities in terms of historic preservation, but only in terms of Charlotte's cleanliness. I don't think the two concepts are mutually exclusive. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly don't deny that Charlotte is a clean and crisp city, but I also find it to be rather plastic...rather artificial. There's no denying its growth, but I find it to be like a woman that wears too much makeup...kind of Tammy Faye-ish.

Here are the proposed buildings for the initial phase. Quite impressive, I must say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This really seems like such an exciting opportunity for the USC, the city, and the region. Although I'm not particularly impressed with the building designs I've seen in the renderings, I am delighted that USC is building all of this in the heart of the city, using existing street grid and lots; that they are building right up to the sidewalk; and that they are building parking garages for the campus and taking over several surface lots. I'm hoping I like the looks of the buildings better once they are built.

The more surface parking lots that can be built upon downtown the better. Surface parking lots are just bad, bad, bad ideas and I can't stand them!

I think Strom (as USC students call it) is a very attractive building. Any biluding that follows that scheme willl look just as good IMO :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do think that the "Strom" is a pleasant looking building; my concern is how this style and design will age. We all can remember the horrors of the honeycomb dorms at USC (are any of them still standing?), and while the Strom building style will never look that horrible in the future, I am concerned that it will not look great to future generations. Let's hope it will though, especially since this style will apparently be such a significant presence in the city. And perhaps there may be a positive cumulative effect from having quite a few buildings close to one another built in the same style; look at the boulevards of Paris after all...

I do think that the "Strom" is a pleasant looking building; my concern is how this style and design will age.  We all can remember the horrors of the honeycomb dorms at USC (are any of them still standing?), and while the Strom building style will never look that horrible in the future, I am concerned that it will not look great to future generations.  Let's hope it will though, especially since this style will apparently be such a significant presence in the city.  And perhaps there may be a positive cumulative effect from having quite a few buildings close to one another built in the same style; look at the boulevards of Paris after all...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the Towers are still there. Fortunately there are plans to tear them down in the next few years to make room for part of the research campus.

You hit the nail on the head with the similar style comment. The university wants to create exactly what you said- an area that you know is USC. Until now, there has been no standard style for on-campus biuldings. They have just been built an random. Now, with this new plan, the new buildings (the Quads, Strom, teh Rsearch campus, etc) will have a similar look and feel to them. You will know when you are in the USC area.

As for aging, I have no idea. I don't see why they wouldn't age well. Certainly it wont be clean and shiny for ever, but then, what building is?

A note about Pulaski Street: My employer owns some property on that street, which will be used for future expansions and much of the other property is waiting to be sold by others who are waiting for higher land values. I'm sure within 5 years or so, Pulaski will look much different. (I hope so, anyway)

As for aging, I have no idea. I don't see why they wouldn't age well. Certainly it wont be clean and shiny for ever, but then, what building is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't mean aging poorly in the sense of looking dirty and dingy, I mean aging poorly in the sense that the design does not read well to future generations. Two recent examples I can think of in Columbia that illustrate this difference are the Richland County Public Library building - which I think will look lovely to future generations, because it was designed and built with skill and care, it performs its function well, and it is just a pleasant space to be in. Contrast that to the Capitol Center building, which really doesn't have anything nice to say to anyone (other than "I'm the tallest guy in the class! Look at me!"). I can't imagine future generations getting worked up over saving it from the wrecking ball.

I hope that the USC buildings will settle into their surroundings nicely and help give a pleasant architectural identity to the university and the city.

• 4 weeks later...

The research campus is finally getting some funds to begin construction (aside from the public health building), The State reports. The next step is to find prospective tenants for the buildings. I wonder exactly which companies are being courted? Also, while no towers are planned for the buildings that will comprise the research campus itself, is it possible that at least one new tower could come out of this by means of a company that chooses to conduct research at the campus?

I just thought of this: being that the campus will border Assembly, which handles a great deal of traffic in Columbia (if not the most), could it be that the efforts to revitalize Main Street will eventually nosedive when Assembly begins seeing a lot of foot traffic due to the presence of the research campus? Or will the activity along Assembly only compliment Main Street's revitalization? I should hope it would be the latter.

I think the research campus on Assembly will increase the foot traffic along S Main (which I would like to see rennovated) for obvious reasons. I don't think it will hinder anything going on along Main St, since it is essentially an office building. Any residential or retail efforts will not be a major part of the research campus.