Peace Center Remodel

adrockc2

• 1 month later...

It looks great. I like the area in the middle as it is now with all the different levels and the brick stepped fountain, but the new design will be awesome and will open that whole space up. Looking forward to it.

That is the only reason I remain a bit torn about the changes to the area between the two indoor theatres and the outdoor amphitheatre. I call that little area a "hidden, beautiful urban oasis" that still surprises long-time residents and first-time visitors to this day. The beautiful variation of shade trees, the water flowing over fascinatingly laid brick, the curving pool with tiny falls, the multiple levels of public space to look out over the river, and etc. It is the quintessence of man-made urban nature.

The new design certainly will be impressive and much more functional, however it appears to have less intimate/attractive character and will simply be a generic transition space rather than a pseudo-organically flowing work of art with broad appeal. In the end, I have confidence that functionality will prevail over artistry when comparing the current and future designs.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having a sort of deja vu with the 2005 era. The kind of topics being posted on here, and lots of announcements and exciting things going on downtown... Only this time, we're actually seeing construction! :silly: It will be REALLY exciting to see the Peace Center's work join that of the Riverwalk and the Brown Street makeover!!! And... there should be some announcement/unveiling of the Washington Square project coming up...

The Peace Center is going to look awesome!

• 4 weeks later...

And downtown Greenville officially has three significant construction projects underway!

The Peace Center's $21 Million renovation has joined the status of the Riverwalk and CVS Pharmacy/retail spaces. I can't ever tell how progress is coming on the Custom House, so I left it off the list...

I really like the renderings of the plaza/walkway area as well as the TD pavilion. :thumbsup:

Greenville is such a great outdoor city, it's great to know that those outdoor opportunities will be increased in quality and experience with this great campus upgrade. The building will be great too!

• 2 weeks later...