Peace Center Remodel

adrockc2

The Huguenot Mill renovation which was originally scrapped due to budget constraints will now happen thanks to CertusBank donating $1 million towards the project: http://gsabusiness.com/news/44512-loft-at-huguenot-mill-to-be-renovated?rss=0

Photo update from July 11th: http://triangleconstruction.com/peace_7_11_12/index.htm

The Huguenot Mill renovation which was originally scrapped due to budget constraints will now happen thanks to CertusBank donating $1 million towards the project: http://gsabusiness.c...renovated?rss=0

Photo update from July 11th: http://triangleconst...11_12/index.htm

That's great news about the Huguenot Mill.

On another note, the construction progress looks fantastic! The way that the greenway and public spaces mix with the various buildings seems to be well-done. I'm looking forward to being able to explore the site post-construction.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great pictures! I've yet to walk around the campus since its completion, but it appears as though the back compliments the front plaza quite nicely. Well done, Peace Center!

Yeah, I agree with that. Looks great all around and as sad as I was to see the old layout go I have to admit that this will be much better for hosting events. It opens the whole space up really well.

• 4 years later...
10 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

Wow. I like all but a little unsure about the new box office at the corner of Main and Broad. 

I kind of agree. More details will be useful. I like the opportunity to define the street edge, but the ability to flow into that plaza right now is quite nice.

The thing I am most excited about is the opportunity to redo the historic buildings behind the Gunter Theater. It will be nice to no longer have their "backs" facing the River.

I hate, hate, hate that new "portal" which blocks off the view from Main Street. Some people at The Peace Center want to view themselves as a bit of a gated community. They can't stand how the riff-raff just sort of flow onto the plaza now. I guarantee that's where this is coming from. And I hate it.

Edited by StrangeCock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangeCock said:

I hate, hate, hate that new "portal" which blocks off the view from Main Street. Some people at The Peace Center want to view themselves as a bit of a gated community. They can't stand how the riff-raff just sort of flow onto the plaza now. I guarantee that's where this is coming from. And I hate it.

Proof of this???

I see no problem with the well-designed conceptual entryway at the corner of Main and Broad.  It would bring the performing arts center out to Main Street without removing the public plaza space.  The outdoor plaza is currently under-utilized and would be more attractive with softer organic landscaping (more greenery).  The concept of a separate, more visible and accessible box office is refreshingly brilliant.

This vision is altogether outstanding and should enable the venue (and the city) to attract many more premier events in the future.

The last renovation was intended to connect the street with the plaza, which was non-existent with the original design which featured a auto drop off lane. Adding seating clearly was intended to INCREASE contentedness. There are times when the plaza gets quite a bit of pedestrian use and other times it is empty. I am not sold on the box office being at the corner. How often would it even be occupied?   

I do NOT like the 'white wash' the entire complex gets. The other changes are appealing, although I have reservations about altering the historic Wyche pavilion.  

• Like 1

What's with the anti-brick design and rhetoric that I keep seeing pop up? The red brick look is classic and will withstand the test of time. Removing the brick from the Peace Center and Gunther Theater would be a big mistake in my opinion. I get people are bored with the bland, "boxy-ness" of some of the new buildings downtown, but I think red brick should almost be a requirement.

The concrete monster at Main and Falls Park Drive is one example. Sure there is design "character" in the facade that building, but the back and sides look like vertical sidewalks. I know a lot of people like that building, but I think it looks horribly out of place.

I agree with Joey....the anti redbrick movement is getting a bit crazy. We live in the south, in a city that was the mill capital of the world. Red brick was a basic building material. With that in mind, the Peace Center should represent and embrace the idea that it was built on the site of an old mill. I am all for diversity in design and will agree that at times, having all the new buildings have red brick gets a bit tedious (I feel the same way about the landing pads on top of buildings.) But red brick is appropriate and in the south, it is a timeless material. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...