Glenwood South miscellaneous developments

Jones_

Convenience stores that are 80% stocked with alcohol of course tend to attract the homeless and semi-homeless and this stretch has three all owned by the same guy. But this area has been like that since Peace Street Market was called "Seven Even". Ah the good old days.Nowadays I can smell Mellow Mushroom from my yard and the guys begging for beer money really don't bother the neighborhood. They know the cops get called on them in mere seconds. We have bigger problems with Broughton kids skipping out and breaking in, and guys in white vans loading up people's lawn mowers and such. An office presence in the daytime would be welcome as most of our problems are in the daytime. This site had a plan for a 4 story condo building back around 2002 or so (ground floor retail) but the design was so hopelessly suburban that it didn't presell any as far as I know. As an aside, the Glenwood, Peace, Hinsdale, Boylan block was extremely close to becoming rows of high end townhouses (marketed as brownstones without any actual brownstone in the designs), but I have recently found out that project died because Mellow Mushroom wouldn't give up their night time lease on the Peace Street Inspection parking lot. Anyway, this area almost was a fairly dense residential block on both sides of Peace. 

Edit: ^^ Orulz bet me to it and posted the pic! Thanks!

Edited by Jones_

• 3 months later...

The small 1950s-1960s brick building at the SE corner of Tucker and Boylan has been demolished....anyone have any insight into what may be happening there? It's the same black as Gramercy, Armadillo etc, so there aren't many lots it could be combined with to anything large...perhaps something interesting and not megablock...? It's an important corner in the big scheme with two apartment buildings across the street (Devon and Tucker)...

Turning into a parking lot. 

From Raleigh Public Record:   (from Raleigh's housing authority) Although they had plans dating back to 2010 that were still in place as of April this year to sell off the property, the current plan is to turn the soon-to-be-vacant property and turn it into a parking lot. They are already working with a civil engineer on the project.

http://raleighpublicrecord.org/news/development-beat/2015/08/17/development-beat-35/

• 4 weeks later...

Ya'll should check out the addition Centerline is adding to their space behind Rockford/North Street/Clockwork. They are tying their two buildings together with a sort of breezeway and adding a second story to the building adjacent to Clockwork. While not exactly historic, I do applaud these uplifts to existing buildings that fill in and complete gaps in the urban fabric. Plus their presence is an important part of making sure Glenwood isn't just a nightlife district...Google will help with that too of course. Maybe the old Natty's space can be another startup space too given that AU is pushing out all of its tenants to accommodate one large tenant. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure this counts as "Glenwood South" but there's plans in the works for a tiny, 1100 sq. ft. bar named The Cardinal at 711-713 N West St right next to the recently renovated building that Wine & Design is located in.

Edited by Tenkai

4 hours ago, Tenkai said:

Not sure this counts as "Glenwood South" but there's plans in the works for a tiny, 1100 sq. ft. bar named The Cardinal at 711-713 N West St right next to the recently renovated building that Wine & Design is located in.

That little concrete block house? 

Small's cool. Its the terrible shape of the property I'm surprised at. I mean, I love a good dive bar...like a real actual dive, not a bar named "Dive Bar". But this would take the take the cake over Jackpot, Office Tavern, Sadlacks, old Berkley, White Oak Grill, and other places I love and have loved over the years. 

• 3 weeks later...

Harry's Guitar shop finally has plans and it's (drumroll).....a bar. 

The front patio must be a requirement to be a Glenwood bar now...

I always dream big in my head for lots like this...I could see a new, narrow 4 story building, with three stories of apartments (a front and a rear on each floor), bay windows on the sides, and a ground floor retail space pulled up to the side walk. Architecture sort of sleek and modern instead of boxy-wood like Gramercy and Elan etc. Alas. Nightlife gets an area to a point, but now i think bars are keeping this area from evolving any further. If the Kane Publix ever happens it'll be interesting to see how things evolve from that point. 

Edited by Jones_

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Site Plan review package submitted to the city for Boylan Flats at 615 N. Boylan Ave (next to the McDonalds).  Or should I say re-submitted??  Way back when there used to be a proposal for an 8 level condo building here... (attached image)

Current plan details from site review application:

• 5 stories
  • 72 ft
  • 48 apartment units
  • 22 parking spaces on ground level (+15 offsite) = 37 total
  • 2 bike racks
  • rooftop patio

boylanflatsrendering-old.jpg

• 2 months later...