Columbia Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, and Planning

Spartan

Raising the gas tax a few cents would help. It's been the same amount, 16 cents/gallon, for 23 years. How are we to keep up with rapid growth and increased traffic congestion, while all the while, gas consumption per vehicle continues to decrease because of higher fuel efficiency / new hybrid technologies?

Edited by BrasilnSC

Thirty or forty percent of video poker proceeds to transit? No way that would ever happen. To be politically feasible at all, legislators would have to sell video poker as being for education (see: the lottery) or, possible but much less likely, health care or some other big tent idea. Even if we assume video poker would go to transit, let's be honest and realize, in this state and most other states, that money would be spent on roads, not rail. Even the transit-specific tax initiative in Richland County only dedicates 33% to mass transit (and that means buses, not rail - at least at this point).

I See your point and i understand but still if the State can get it in. Still roads and Maybe New interstates kinda like my interstate idea would be a Nice project to be used from the Video poker.

Video poker is just a bad idea. That was a horrible industry and I, for one, am glad that it is not in South Carolina anymore. Aside from trashing up almost every entrance into our state, those games are rigged to not loose money. When it was legal, poor people for reasons unknown thought they could outsmart a computer, so they sit there for hours throwing money away trying to do it. While they were sitting there (usually in gas stations) they would chain smoke for those same number of hours, making the experience of being in a gas station convenience store for non-smokers (85-90 percent of all people).

South Carolina should consider raising its gas tax (which it hasn't done in decades) or finding some other method of financing road maintenance and construction.

• 4 months later...

this was posted in the Transit thread, but it is more appropriate here.

Richland County narrowly voted down the sales tax to improve transportation. I applaud the County Council for allowing this to be on the ballot and letting the voters get to decide for themselves this go around.

I think it would have passed if not for being caught up in the coattails of the Tea Party, which South Carolinians have apparently embraced with open arms. Hopefully they try again in a couple of years.

The State

I hope so. So far Charleston and York are the only counties that have successfully raised sales taxes specifically for transportation improvements. All urban counties are going to have to find a way to address this problem eventually. If Greenville County can find a way to sell it, being a more conservative county, then Richland should be able to learn from it.

It's still worth pointing out that the measure only failed by about 1 percentage point. I think that if the economy were in a better situation then it would have passed.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren Bolton of The State has some recommendations for getting the transportation tax passed next time: being more specific about how the funds will be spent and possibly shortening the duration of the tax from 25 years to something much more palatable. Regarding the latter point, he notes that in Aiken County, voters approved a sales tax for the third time. Voters first authorized the tax in 2000, then renewed it in 2004. Though that doesn’t expire until 2012, officials held a vote to allow the tax to continue when the current one expires in two years. The lesson: Having that shorter period serves as a check on the bodies that handle the money. They know that if they take the wrong step, they could endanger future funding.

Warren Bolton of The State has some recommendations for getting the transportation tax passed next time: being more specific about how the funds will be spent and possibly shortening the duration of the tax from 25 years to something much more palatable. Regarding the latter point, he notes that in Aiken County, voters approved a sales tax for the third time. Voters first authorized the tax in 2000, then renewed it in 2004. Though that doesn’t expire until 2012, officials held a vote to allow the tax to continue when the current one expires in two years. The lesson: Having that shorter period serves as a check on the bodies that handle the money. They know that if they take the wrong step, they could endanger future funding.

It does make a lot more sense to do it that way. Most people can't think 25 years out. It needs to be something short or it needs to be permanent.

An exit could be built at the Hardscrabble Road overpass at I-77. This would help relieve congestion at Exit 22 - Killian Road.

I don't think it would help much. Hardscrabble Road is already a traffic nightmare, adding an exit there would make it even worse. Besides, the Farrow Road interchange is less than a mile south of Hardscrabble. The Killian Road interchange is going to have to be upgraded to handle all the traffic there.

So just came back from my SCODT Meeting and great news for the traffic part of columbia

To reduce the craziness of the I-126/26 Congestion for Morning and afternoon commuters. SCDOT is working on building a Elevated I-126/26 From downtown COlumbia all the way to Newberry. No exits or lane changes. it will help for Newberry ad further out Commuters without them going threw the traffic nightmare.

Any thoughts.

So just came back from my SCODT Meeting and great news for the traffic part of columbia

To reduce the craziness of the I-126/26 Congestion for Morning and afternoon commuters. SCDOT is working on building a Elevated I-126/26 From downtown COlumbia all the way to Newberry. No exits or lane changes. it will help for Newberry ad further out Commuters without them going threw the traffic nightmare.

Any thoughts.

What are your sources?

An elevated highway all the way to Newberry would cost BILLIONS, I just don't see it happening. Adding another lane to I-26 towards Newberry seems reasonable but even that may take years. I have seen some renderings of improvement to Malfunction Junction including flyovers and C-D lanes, but that's it.

What are your sources?

An elevated highway all the way to Newberry would cost BILLIONS, I just don't see it happening. Adding another lane to I-26 towards Newberry seems reasonable but even that may take years. I have seen some renderings of improvement to Malfunction Junction including flyovers and C-D lanes, but that's it.

1 its an evelated 2 Lane in the middle of I-26/126 From downtown- Columbia.

and 2 I Had a meeting with one of the SCDOT Guys monday past.

Central Midland transportation office loves my interstate idea. i mean they really love it.

heres my recent rendering

5225757040_6b7222d418_b.jpg

Its a Double decker interstate that runs from I-77/26 Interchange to I-20 Through town.

also i got information on another Highway project Connecting I-77 northeast to I-26 Irmo and also another one that connects I-77/I-26 Interchange to I-20 Southeast. it all coincides with my Idea from I-26/77 to I-126 to I-20

I will render up a mixed map from there idea and my idea. trust me yall will like it :)

Krazeeboi is just expressing his opinion, which this site encourages. Sorry if it hurts your feelings GrowingUP, but I have to agree that it's a very bad idea to build such a highway or any highway through the city.

First, such a highway is not needed......Columbia's traffic isn't bad and the interstate loop around the city let's people get anywhere in the metro in 20-40 minutes. You can just take the loop to get from I-20 to I-77. Secondly, it would destroy the urban fabric of the city and the Vista, many buildings and businesses would have to be demolished to make way.....do you really see a massive highway dividing the Vista as a good thing. And thirdly, the cost of a such a project would be astronomical.

Hopefully Malfunction Junction will get fixed in the next decade.

Edited by BrasilnSC

I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt, but what you're proposing here is just awful. Having a double-decker interstate slicing through the Vista is simply a terrible idea and I seriously, seriously doubt anyone at SCDOT is in favor of that.

SCDOT is not the one i talked to secondly. it was Central Midlands Council or Government and They favor my Idea. Big time! they really really loved my idea. and i'm not faking it or just saying that to make me look good. they really did like my idea. But this is not expected to be Seen until 2035 maybe a few years less. along with there new Northwest Connector and there Southeast Connector

i will have to bring up there plans and show yall for yall to know what i'm talking about. its a good plan for future highways and better traffic flow. also they are expecting to extend the Airport Expressway to I-26

Krazeeboi is just expressing his opinion, which this site encourages. Sorry if it hurts your feelings GrowingUP, but I have to agree that it's a very bad idea to build such a highway or any highway through the city.

First, such a highway is not needed......Columbia's traffic isn't bad and the interstate loop around the city let's people get anywhere in the metro in 20-40 minutes. You can just take the loop to get from I-20 to I-77. Secondly, it would destroy the urban fabric of the city and the Vista, many buildings and businesses would have to be demolished to make way.....do you really see a massive highway dividing the Vista as a good thing. And thirdly, the cost of a such a project would be astronomical.

Hopefully Malfunction Junction will get fixed in the next decade.

I Got connections. i got Details on this project. all of these highways are not cutting through any neighobrhood or anyhting. its just nothing but trees. and my idea is over the train tracks that also caps off the Track gap in the middle of town and Make it into a Greenway. you will see my full plan soon. trust me if i got SCDOT and CMCG into loving my idea and my planning and ways it can grow our economy then Yeah i believe we can really see this in columbia. in the next 20-25 years.

its along way form now but its a wait that will prove to be worth while

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts.

Yeah, I think you misunderstood what they said. We have an entire thread about the 26/20/126 interchange, and you can see the renderings in this Part of it will have new elevated sections, but only to replace the existing on/off ramps.