Southend Living

Did Club Tan on South & Worthington close? I usually only notice it in the am which would be before they open but it's looking neglected these days with the grass getting to about a foot long and with the road being torn up on Worthington (not their doing, obviously). Basic internet search didn't turn up anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet Loraines bakery is now open at East and Cleveland.

I am not getting the sense that Sweet Loraines is catching on with folks in the neighborgood. That is really a shame since establishing an interesting an active pedestrain corridor between Dilworth (300 East, Paper skyscraper, Thai Taste etc.) and E/W Station along East blvd would make a BIG difference to neighborhood activity and (eventually) lynx ridership.

That church on the corner of South and East and Texaco, along with the small scale office space are really limiting pedestrian activity (IMO).

EDIT: I do think that an additional bikeshare station down around East and Kennilworth would go a long way towards generating pedestrian and bike activity between Dilworth and Southend / LRT. (I do recognize that this is a flip suggestion given the not insubstantial costs of a new station and the significant need for more stations throughout town).

Honestly, in a money is no object world, the thing I would most like to see would be a streetcar down East blvd....

Edited by kermit

I am not getting the sense that Sweet Loraines is catching on with folks in the neighborgood. That is really a shame since establishing an interesting an active pedestrain corridor between Dilworth (300 East, Paper skyscraper, Thai Taste etc.) and E/W Station along East blvd would make a BIG difference to neighborhood activity and (eventually) lynx ridership.

That church on the corner of South and East and Texaco, along with the small scale office space are really limiting pedestrian activity (IMO).

I always see SOME people in there, but yeah its never packed. I'm afraid that the neighborhood can't support both it and Nova's. I think it could actually find a more stable position as more of a coffee shop if they were willing to rebrand a little. It might take a while longer but I have high hopes for this row of spaces getting good lasting retail tenants eventually. The fortune teller next to Thai Taste went out of business so that one is available now...

We walked to Lorraine's yesterday afternoon (from Plaza-Midwood even, via Independence Park, the Greenway, CMC and Latta Park, enjoying the gorgeous day). While briefly there on our walking break, the place had decent business for a Sunday. My partner and I had two different desserts to share. A group of ladies each had some desserts, and another couple got items to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did Club Tan on South & Worthington close? I usually only notice it in the am which would be before they open but it's looking neglected these days with the grass getting to about a foot long and with the road being torn up on Worthington (not their doing, obviously). Basic internet search didn't turn up anything.

Its still open (and still a blight)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am old enough now that I am very rarely out at 2:30am, but tonight I saw a -huge- line at the midnight diner. It was well out the door and down the sidewalk.

Glad they are doing good business, it always looked quiet in daylight.

Might be time for a Southend Wafflehouse. (it would be horrible for local urbanity but great for neighborhood 'gastronomy')

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to a Penn Station before. So I can't really comment on them. However, I went to Good Bottle Co last week. Excellent place. Love the selection of NC beers that they have. They also have a nice tap rotation so you can drink onsite. They also have a few coolers that has growlers of various craft beers.

Edited by wend28

Has anyone had a sub from this place at another location? Good Philly cheesesteaks I am guessing?

In my old hometown of Cleveland there were more Penn Stations. Very good heated subs. Don't think Quizno's though, much better quality. I love the cheesesteak but theirs has a different twist with pizza sauce, mayo, banana peppers on it. Another favorite is chicken teryaki. Be forewarned though it isn't the healthiest sub shop, tends to be a little greasy but its a guilty pleasure of mine. Definitely check it out, I stopped in the soft opening and they open tomorrow!

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The old auto parts store on Worthington Behind the Dunkin Donuts) has been vacant for several months now.

It would be a great place for a bar....

I rode by Triple C today at 5 (a Saturday). Looked like about a half dozen folks were having a beer.

(yes, I recgnize the contradiction between the two statements)

^To be fair, I was at NoDa Brewing at around the same time today. They are usually slammed and were probably 50-60% of what they normally are. I'd probably go with it being the Saturday before Christmas as a factor. Though, there were a pretty good amount of people walking in, getting a couple growlers then heading out.