Southend Living

Sounds like Carribou / Bruggers on East will have a new Restrauant tenant.

http://obswhatsinstore.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-mayobird-headed-to-east-blvd.html

That's a relief. The restaurant doesn't sound super interesting, but I'll take it. They'd be wise to really push a good brunch. 

Shouldn't this be moved to the Dilworth thread?

Hey SouthEnders!!  (as well as neighbors, friend and visitors of SouthEnd!)

Next Thursday @ Triple C

CCP wants to hear from those whose ideas, commitment and support will help transform the current trail along the Blue Line into a Linear Park of gardens, public art, unique spaces and activities.

"You'll get started by attending one of three brief staggered sessions in Triple C's brewery where you'll hear about the Rail Trail Vision, the Framework Plan in process, and next steps. Then, you're invited into Triple C's warehouse to experience the Rail Trail like never before. Taste some brews, grub at your favorite food trucks, jam to music, pick up a game of ping pong, mingle with neighbors and contribute your ideas to the Framework Plan."

Come enjoy and participate in shaping the future of the Rail Trail!

RSVP for one of three start times: 6:00, 6:30, or 7:00 HERE

Rail_Trail_Feature1.jpg

I am impressed with the resilience of Southend. Pedestrian activity is high (despite the fact that everyone has to walk in the street) and a reasonable amount of stuff is open (Fuel, Big Ben (very crowded last night), Nan and Byrons, CVS, Nova's, and Common Market (_packed_ at lunch today)). The only neighborhood casualty I noticed was that the metal awning on Paper Skyscraper had collapsed in the snow.

A CATS crew was shoveling off the East West Station around noon but they had not gotten to Bland st yet. The LRT is strangely silent in the snow.

I am impressed with the resilience of Southend. Pedestrian activity is high (despite the fact that everyone has to walk in the street) and a reasonable amount of stuff is open (Fuel, Big Ben (very crowded last night), Nan and Byrons, CVS, Nova's, and Common Market (_packed_ at lunch today)). The only neighborhood casualty I noticed was that the metal awning on Paper Skyscraper had collapsed in the snow.

A CATS crew was shoveling off the East West Station around noon but they had not gotten to Bland st yet. The LRT is strangely silent in the snow.

All American and Tavern on the tracks were both packed on Wednesday night too.

• 4 weeks later...

Refitting is underway at the Zucca space (Atherton Mill across from the market). I have not heard what is going in.

The weather brought everyone in Southend out today --the rail trail was _CROWDED_.

Eden's website lists the space as also being Luna Living Kitchen. I'm assuming they are expanding into a larger space, and I thought I had read that somewhere recently. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a general observation from over the weekend... I went with some buddies on a Charlotte Brewery Tour (very good way to spend a Sat. afternoon btw). Two of our stops were at Triple C and Olde Meck. I was amazed by the amount of vibrancy in SouthEnd, especially around Triple C during the day. Tons of people walking around, all the breweries were packed (went to four total, NoDa and Birdsong were the others). This was the first time I had been inside the Triple C Brewery. IMO, they really hit a home run with the location. It's smack dab in the middle of all those residential units that has been built and are being built. You definitely feel the critical mass that is there. This area has changed dramatically since I moved to another area of town a few years ago. Great to see SouthEnd turn into quite the 'hood. Sycamore Brewing will be a nice addition as well. In general it's great to see the Charlotte craft brewery scene alive and kickin' the way it is. No doubt this city can support more of them.  

Edited by wend28
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.217496,-80.856935,3a,75y,358.94h,83.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sp7jDGUHKrAJuJeeszecs_Q!2e0!6m1!1e1

Apparently this building's two unoccupied spaces (not including beam electrical) are being turned into a 6,000 sq foot culinary school and 2 3,000 sq feet of retail/office spaces. Here's hoping for some improvements to the front parking lot and the front of the building itself. 

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the combination of 'available' and 'clearance' signs at Bang and Olofson it appears that they will no longer be at their current Southend location.

I would really like to see some kind of legitimate retail happen somewhere in Southend, sometime.

Based on the combination of 'available' and 'clearance' signs at Bang and Olofson it appears that they will no longer be at their current Southend location.

I would really like to see some kind of legitimate retail happen somewhere in Southend, sometime.

That's really sad, but it was always a long shot. I think I've seen what looked like customers in there twice, maybe, and I pass it almost every day. I tried not to think too much of it because their business model and price point is almost more like a jewelry store than electronics.

Edited by nonillogical

They are actually having a "VIP night" on Thursday to try and bring in more business.  Not sure why they are doing this now that they are closing but might have to do with exposure in case they decide to open a location elsewhere nearby; or perhaps redirect them to the Atlanta or DC locations.  

The oversized metal lounge chairs that have been set out on the rail trail around Bland st station are getting a good bit of use in the evenings. It is kinda cool to see the formerly wasted (for everyone other than dog owners) grassy space get 'activated'.

• Like 1

That's the second B&O store to close in Charlotte. There used to be on in Phillips Place several years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

Hope?  Not from reading that article.  We are already so far behind our peer cities in walkability, this is just par for the course.  It frustrates me to read how we "can't get it done for the foreseeable future".  I mean, really?  City of 800,000 can't support even the most basic of pedestrian functions in one of its densest areas.  Man, it's frustrating.

Perhaps I am naive or just not aware of the issues....but what seems to be the major problems?? Sure South Blvd is not easy to cross all the time but isnt that what crosswalks are for? And what is the issue with the sidewalks that are currently there. I guess I am just not aware of the problems, and what the "easy" fixes are???